Opinions on Warn X8000i winches

jordans05tj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I found a guy local to me that has a Warn X8000i for sale. He says it has a new motor, a new solenoid, he repainted it and put a 25k synthetic rope with a factor 55 prolink on it. He said he wants to sell it because he upgraded to a higher capacity winch. He's asking $650, is that a good deal for this winch? I feel like it is and plan to buy it, but hopefully somebody that knows more than me will chime in

B58CCDFD-E60A-4232-AC50-8FAF1FDAFAFC.jpeg

So what's wrong with the factor 55 link? I'm not educated on the subject apparently, but they have a decent reputation as far as I knew.

They do have a decent reputation in the bling, bling, look at me crowd.

The issue is that it's adding one more point of potential failure to the recovery chain and therefore it's not an ideal design.

While it will work just fine, it will be the one time that it fails where you'll learn why it is a bad design.

Use it if you want, but if you want a superior product you should replace it with a Safety Thimble (y)

Reactions: Garza and CodaMan
So what's wrong with the factor 55 link? I'm not educated on the subject apparently, but they have a decent reputation as far as I knew.
The key to winch pulls is to use as few connections as possible. That link is nothing more than a glorified shackle because the rope is looped around a pin in the 55 link. A Safety Thimble has the rope wrapped around it so you're basically using only the rope to carry all the stress instead of a rope AND a pin.

Reactions: Garza
The key to winch pulls is to use as few connections as possible. That link is nothing more than a glorified shackle because the rope is looped around a pin in the 55 link. A Safety Thimble has the rope wrapped around it so you're basically using only the rope to carry all the stress instead of a rope AND a pin.
That makes the most sense, I see why that would be better.
I'll go against the grain. At that price I'd just order a new M8000 and add a line and thimble later. You get a new updated winch that will last you for years, and it has a removable solenoid pack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000182DYM/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I see where you're coming from, but with the new motor and solenoid in this one wouldn't I get the same benefit? I don't think a removable solenoid pack is something I NEED to have per se, but I could see a benefit there. I'm planning on running a JCR bumper to replace the chinesium barricade bumper on the jeep, and it doesn't have anything preventing the winch from being too tall. The only thing that might could be said is warranty, does the m8000 have a warranty?

Original parts are still available. Does not always mean people want to spend Warn prices for a motor.
You were right there, he said it's an aftermarket motor and he doesn't remember who makes it. Now I'm not so sure about this one lol

You were right there, he said it's an aftermarket motor and he doesn't remember who makes it. Now I'm not so sure about this one lol
Well the data plate is on it I just can not blow up the pic to read the small print.

Well the data plate is on it I just can not blow up the pic to read the small print.
He said he has the original motor still and it works, he just redid it all to put on his wife's Cherokee and she didn't want it. I'm thinking maybe I'll try him for $600 and see if I can get a deal