Opinions on winches

Oct 14, 2018
United States
Would like opinions on Warn winches Zeon 8-S, Zeon 10-S and VR8-S. I do not do any rock climbing or major off-roading. Only occasional beach driving in summer. Any information/feedback would be great. I have a 2004 TJ Rubicon. Thanks

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
All of those would be overkill for a rig that doesn't see any major off-roading or rock crawling. The smart thing to do if you're set on Warn would be to buy a Warn M8000, as that is a tried and trusted winch that is very commonly used on TJs. It's more than enough for what you need.

You could also get the Warn M8000-S, which is the same winch, but with a synthetic rope. From what I'm told though, it's actually cheaper to buy the former and just get a replacement rope in synthetic.

OP
OP
M
Oct 14, 2018
United States
All of those would be overkill for a rig that doesn't see any major off-roading or rock crawling. The smart thing to do if you're set on Warn would be to buy a Warn M8000, as that is a tried and trusted winch that is very commonly used on TJs. It's more than enough for what you need.

You could also get the Warn M8000-S, which is the same winch, but with a synthetic rope. From what I'm told though, it's actually cheaper to buy the former and just get a replacement rope in synthetic.
Thanks for the feedback. Yea, was not really sure what would be best for the type of driving, occasional beach driving I do.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Thanks for the feedback. Yea, was not really sure what would be best for the type of driving, occasional beach driving I do.
Though some here would give me shit for it, I personally suggest the Smittybilt X20 Comp (10,000 lbs.). It's a great price, comes with synthetic winch line, and I know a lot of people who have put these things through the ringer (literally, they just beat the hell out of them) and they keep working without issue.

I haven't had any issue with mine yet. I used to be a diehard Warn guy (and if I was going to spend 2k on a winch for a dedicated rock crawler, I would buy a high end Warn by all means), but I really have to give Smittybilt credit, because this is a really great winch for the price!

Some people are really stuck on the Warn name though, which I get.

OP
OP
M
Oct 14, 2018
United States
Though some here would give me shit for it, I personally suggest the Smittybilt X20 Comp (10,000 lbs.). It's a great price, comes with synthetic winch line, and I know a lot of people who have put these things through the ringer (literally, they just beat the hell out of them) and they keep working without issue.

I haven't had any issue with mine yet. I used to be a diehard Warn guy (and if I was going to spend 2k on a winch for a dedicated rock crawler, I would buy a high end Warn by all means), but I really have to give Smittybilt credit, because this is a really great winch for the price!

Some people are really stuck on the Warn name though, which I get.
I did look at those, just did not know if 10,000 Ibs., was going to be to much. I saw a lot of jeepers of course like Warn, but also saw a lot with Engo winches. I do not know a lot about that name brand

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
I did look at those, just did not know if 10,000 Ibs., was going to be to much. I saw a lot of jeepers of course like Warn, but also saw a lot with Engo winches. I do not know a lot about that name brand
Well, having too much is better than not having enough, so don't let that deter you at all! Engo is a good brand as well.

superduty

TJ Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2016
So Cal
Would like opinions on Warn winches Zeon 8-S, Zeon 10-S and VR8-S. I do not do any rock climbing or major off-roading. Only occasional beach driving in summer. Any information/feedback would be great. I have a 2004 TJ Rubicon. Thanks
Why do you want a winch?

Do you get stuck on the beach often? Is a winch a good solution? Are there trees or anchors to use the winch?

Warn winches have an excellent reputation in the 4x4 World. You can't go wrong with a warn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M
Oct 14, 2018
United States
Why do you want a winch?

Do you get stuck on the beach often? Is a winch a good solution? Are there trees or anchors to use the winch?

Warn winches have an excellent reputation in the 4x4 World. You can't go wrong with a warn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Honestly, have never been stuck on beach. Seems like every summer I have friends who get stuck with their pick ups and need help and thought if I had a winch back then and even now would help out. We also do get snow here, so thought maybe come in handy then as well.

Stevemack

Supporting Member
May 17, 2018
Northeast
Whatever winch you decide to get, (I’m a Warn Guy) get yourself some vehicle recovery training...I’ve seen some people out there with the right gear and great intentions but no clue on how to do it safely. My experience with sand: I’ve used my snatch straps(with no metal hooks) more then anything. I’ve actually never used my winch on the sand.

Good luck to you.

tworley

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
May 23, 2018
Morrison, CO
I have a superwinch lp8500. Its been used a handful of times this year. Incredibly slow but it does what its supposed to do.

In your application though, I'd save the money and just get a good reliable recovery strap.

Donations

Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum's operating expenses are primarily paid by the generous contributions of members.

Donate

Latest Posts

Ride of the Month

Congratulations to ElectricWizard for winning the December 2018 Ride of the Month!

December 2018 Ride of the Month

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad C