OPINIONS PLEASE fuel tank skid plate

sam53

TJ Enthusiast
Have an 03 Rubi OME lift with a 1 1/4" body lift. have a Rokmenn trans plate and thinking of installing there fuel tank skid. I have heard unless I REALLY pound it the later factory plate is tough enough, Opinions please. I any going to cut the factory plate down which would five me nearly 2" of additional clearance, so the plate will be off anyhow. Thanks in advance.

I’m not sure if you’re sold on Rokmen, but I have the Savvy aluminum gas tank skid and I love it. Quality is awesome and it tucks up nice and tight on the fuel tank. I’m glad I ditched the factory plate, the Savvy plate isn’t going anywhere with all the hardware it has.

Reactions: tworley
I have heard unless I REALLY pound it the later factory plate is tough enough
Let damage be your guide. If your factory skid starts to look bad you'll know it's time for an upgrade. My tank skid held up through many years of abuse before I started to worry and upgraded.

Reactions: Daryl
Newer TJs like yours have a decent gas tank skidplate, unlike my '97 TJ which basically had nothing but a thin piece of sheet metal holding it up. But if you decide to get one you can't beat Savvy's which I've run on two different TJs. It's beyond amazing how many HARD (!!!) hits it has sustained on big rocks with nothing more than some scrapes here and there.

Cut and raise the factory skid or if you need more protection get one from Savvy.

Reactions: EzPeezy