Opinions please: Looking to purchase a 1997 TJ

Coleomar

I am looking to purchase my 1st used wrangler for my daughter. I have found one that is listed below. They purchased it in Late August 2018. And they are selling it now less than 6months later. CARFAX came back clean other than a failed emissions test in 11/18. Seller has told me repairs are made and she will get her son to get it through emissions this weekend. Please share your thoughts on what to look out for. KBB also has the value between 6-8800. And she has it listed at 10800. I want to make sure we are paying a fair price.
Thanks so much!
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Use...rceContext=shareListingLink#listing=231328227

Last edited:
Tell seller to send pics of the frame. Several of them. You are in the middle of the rust belt up there. If the frame is jacked up that is not with more than half that price, and would likely be sold for parts.

Other than that doesn’t look bad. The paint looks a bit dull in places. Guessing that the clear is shot. No big deal. Can’t tell but I think I see some rust bubbles on the right rear near the tailgate.

The frame pics might give a better idea what kind of lift is under that. Also ask them what caused it to fail emissions.

I like Sahara’s. That one looks fairly clean in the pics. But the frame pics are most important.

Reactions: Coleomar
I'm guessing you're about an hour away from that Jeep, if so I'd take the daughter out to lunch somewhere near it then go check it out. Do the lunch first because you need to stick you finger in any/every hole in the frame to find out how much rust might be in there. Also take a good look where the skid plate bolts to the frame, I had some rust flaking off between them that I didn't, but should have, noticed before buying, Luckily even though those flakes were as wide as the frame rails they weren't thick enough to weaken the frame. Not everyone gets that lucky.

Price wise KBB usually seems about right on for most cars in most areas but....you're looking at a TJ and are in the the rust belt. If it looks good offer something low and try to end up as close as you can get them to the $8800.

Reactions: Coleomar
TJ frames do love to rust from the inside so, check it carefully. Use a flashlight and your fingers.
I too like the Saharas but it was mostly a trim package (tan interior and the tan/green seats, color-matched fender flares) unless it has the optional Dana 44 rear axle that was available on the Sahara, it really just changes the looks.

The price seems a bit high but it does have very low miles for a '77. Again, it really, really comes down to the condition of the frame and, to a slightly lesser extent, the body. Lots of rust is bad, very little rust is great, and no rust is suspicious (especially in states that salt the roads). EDIT: By suspicious, I mean check for cover-ups like painted-over rust.

The carfax should tell you where it has lived and, if it's been up North all its life it will have some rust unless the previous owners were anal as hell about keeping it washed out and/or only drove it in the summer.

We need to see photos of the frame. Without photos of the frame, no one can give you honest advice as to whether it's worth buying or not.

Post pics of the frame. KBB shows my Jeep to be worth around $7k, I’ve had multiple offers from people in my area offer me $10k. It’s not even for sale or won’t ever be. Moral of the story KBB can be off on TJ’s. Most other cars it seems good, but Jeeps can fetch a pretty penny.