Options for 35s on a Lifted LJ......

techster82

Lover of Lifted LJs
Supporting Member
Some of you may have seen the build thread I started on my new to me LJ Rubicon but the short of it is:

2006 LJ Rubicon that currently has a 2.5" Skyjacker lift with 32x11.50R15 tires.

I'm installing a 4" Currie based lift (and also a 1.25" body lift either now or soon) and have narrowed my tire choices to either a 315/75R16 or a 35x12.50R17.

After seeing another LJ build thread that was running a set of the 17" JK Moab style rims I picked up a set of five in decent shape for $100. I also grabbed a near new set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35x12.50R17 that I planned to pair with these rims. My plan was to paint the wheels a graphite color and run adapters since the bolt pattern is 5x5. After investigating further I realized that the backspacing on the JK wheels I have is 6-6.25" instead of the 5.2" I thought it would be. Having an idea of the backspacing needed on the LJ it seems I'd have to run one hell of a spacer to make these work. So that leaves me back at square one and I'm not sure what direction to go in. The options that I've kind of put on the table are the following:

1. Find a set of 17" wheels with the hub pattern and backspacing that will work on the LJ (or worst case use a small 1/2" spacer or so) and use the 35x12.50 Ridge Grapplers I already have.

2. Find a set of 17" wheels and use adapters to convert the hub pattern as well as backspacing and use the Ridge Grapplers.

3. Find a set of 16" OEM Moab wheels and purchase new 315/75R16 tires (will a spacer still be needed for backspacing?)

4. Purchase a set of 16" Mammoth Boulder wheels and purchase new 315/75R16 tires.

I'm having a hard time finding 17" wheels that have a backspacing that would seem to work on the LJ. The Fuel Trophy wheels caught my eye as they come in the correct bolt pattern and with a 4.5" backspacing.

If I don't end up using the JK wheels I'll just resale them and if I don't use the Ridge Grapplers I'll be able to put them on my wife's JL when it gets delivered. If I purchase new tires I'm eyeing the Dick Cepek Extreme Country's in 315/75R16 (great price for a set of 5), the Cooper STT Pros, Wrangler Duratracs or another similar tire based on recommendations and pricing. (I've run KO2s, KM2s, Trail Grapplers etc but don't have a "must have" tire at this point).

So, from the hive collective, what options do you think realistically would work for my build?

3. Find a set of 16" OEM Moab wheels and purchase new 315/75R16 tires (will a spacer still be needed for backspacing?)

YES. 1.5" Spacer
images (1).jpg

An old photo, RE 3.5"

Reactions: techster82
YES. 1.5" Spacer
View attachment 40949
An old photo, RE 3.5"

I ended up grabbing a set of AEV Bridger Wheels (16x8 with 4.5" backspacing) and will be mounting STT Pros in 315/75/16 on them. I'm hoping with my setup that spacers won't be needed but have a set of 1.25" Spidertrax spacers sitting on the shelf just in case. I still really like the factory Moab wheels and appreciate your info.