Oregon Department of Transportation will begin limited use of salt on state highways

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Saw this on KATU news today:

PORTLAND, Ore. — Oregon Department of Transportation officials announced Friday they will expand the use of salt on state highways.

The decision comes in the wake of a winter storm that paralyzed Portland and surrounding communities Wednesday night.

"We've been listening to the communities where people get stuck for hours," said ODOT spokesperson Dave Thompson. "We've been watching the use of salt in surrounding states. California uses salt, Washington uses salt, Idaho uses salt, Nevada uses salt. We're the holdout."

Thompson was clear to point out the decision wasn't in direct response to this week's storm. Instead, he says the policy change comes after a 5-year pilot project where ODOT used salt on highways near neighboring state borders.

"Using the information we gained from four years of results of that project, we can definitively say that using salt does improve the road conditions," he said. "What we don't know is the extent of environmental or economic damage and we're still assessing that."

Environmental concerns have been cited as a primary reason for state and local agencies not using salt on icy roadways. Salt can be corrosive to cars and highway infrastructure, and there are worries about runoff polluting water.

"It's a big change," Thompson said of the policy shift.

While it is a big change, Thompson warns drivers not to expect widespread use of salt in Oregon.

"We can consider, we can assess using salt in other parts of the state in surgical uses," he said. "Not willy-nilly, not dumping i down like they do in the Midwest, but in surgical times as another tool in the toolbox that we haven't had up to this point."

Thompson also admitted ODOT used salt Thursday night on a 9-mile stretch of I-5 between Albany and Salem.

"That's the first time we've done that, as far as I know, in the history of ODOT," said Thompson. "We've never used salt that far north in the Willamette Valley."

That section of the interstate was under a 'chain-up' requirement at the time. Thompson says the use of salt allowed the agency to remove that requirement.

Logistics will make the use of salt difficult in any upcoming winter storms. ODOT officials say salt storage requires separate infrastructure facilities, which don't currently exist in most parts of Oregon.

"Because this is a surgical strike, we would need to truck our salt in from someplace else," said Thompson. "We do not have any infrastructure set up for storing or transporting salt in the northern part of the Willamette Valley. We only have our salt sheds along I-5 in the Siskiyous and all the way out on U.S. 95 in eastern Oregon."

Building local salt storage facilities could cost into the millions of dollars, according to Thompson.

"I don't want people to think that this is a magic bullet that's going to solve every situation and would have cured Wednesday night," said Thompson. "We don't know that. A surgical strike in some areas may have improved the really bad commute. It may not have."

In other words @StG58, @Stinger & @TJ4Jim, we're fucked.

The whining snowflakes in this latest Portland storm have managed to get ODOT to use salt due to all their whining and incompetence. So much for very little rust on vehicles in the Pacific Northwest.

This is just the start. They say it won't be used widely, but I know that's bullshit.

...and this is why I detest the special snowflakes with a passion that borders on obsession. Those idiots (an distinct minority to be sure) that can't seem to manage to get and keep their shit together whine to higher authority and put the rest of us at a disadvantage. It's now going to cost us all additional time, money and effort to try and preserve our equipment because a few morons can't learn to drive in inclement weather and refuse to not drive when the conditions are beyond their skill level and equipment.

OK, I'm going to pitch a fit and write some letters. This is absurd.

I'm so fucking living about this it's insane. Now the rest of us have to suffer because this minority of assholes is so incompetent when driving in literally 2 inches of snow, that they complain so much that ODOT decides they'll start using salt on the roads.

For fucks sake... One of the greatest things about the PNW is that the cars up here usually lasted a lot longer due to them NOT salting the roads.

What will they complain about next, seriously?

Reactions: StG58
Start sending off e-mails...

That's now my weekend project. Rounding up all the e-mail addresses of all the people who might have even a minor say in this. Then I'm going to blast them with e-mails about why using salt on the roads is a really bad idea.

Man I hate special snowflakes. And I'm starting to really dislike their enablers.

Reactions: Stinger and Chris
That's society in general. Ask for free food and less taxes because you are too lazy to take responsibility and work hard.

Other than the salt on ya'll's roads, ya'll have snow so ya'll should appreciate that!! Down here we don't know what "winter" is. Its summer for 9 months out of the year.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Article failed to mention what form the 'salt' will be .......
For highway use here in Canada/British Columbia ..... the 'salt' is a toxic/corrosive brine ...... sprayed on. Solid type salt bounces all over the road when spread at speed. Poor/spotty coverage.
Side roads and streets here will get the solid form most often.
The 'brine' form will eat the spreader bar, hard lines, and springs/frame of the spread vehicle. They generally get a seasons use. A little longer for the sub-frame/undercarriage of the spread vehicle.
Wash any vehicle often and completely.
I don't know about the 'Fluid Film' mentioned in another post, but .... undercoating and other types of protection can hide and hold that 'brine' .....
I was told that the 'brine' was 22% salt.
Welcome to 'snow country" ....... ;)

Article failed to mention what form the 'salt' will be .......
For highway use here in Canada/British Columbia ..... the 'salt' is a toxic/corrosive brine ...... sprayed on. Solid type salt bounces all over the road when spread at speed. Poor/spotty coverage.
Side roads and streets here will get the solid form most often.
The 'brine' form will eat the spreader bar, hard lines, and springs/frame of the spread vehicle. They generally get a seasons use. A little longer for the sub-frame/undercarriage of the spread vehicle.
Wash any vehicle often and completely.
I don't know about the 'Fluid Film' mentioned in another post, but .... undercoating and other types of protection can hide and hold that 'brine' .....
I was told that the 'brine' was 22% salt.
Welcome to 'snow country" ....... ;)

Gosh that would piss me off. Is it just people drive too fast on those slick roads, almost crash or do crash, and then cry for aggregate to be poured onto the roadways? Versus just driving safer and driving with patience.

Reactions: StG58
I know in Montana they sand the roads, not salt. And that actually works great, they usually get tons of snowfall.

Reactions: Stinger and StG58
Gosh that would piss me off. Is it just people drive too fast on those slick roads, almost crash or do crash, and then cry for aggregate to be poured onto the roadways? Versus just driving safer and driving with patience.

You got it. Bald tires, summer performance tires, enthusiastic right feet, panic, you name it. There's a lot of folks in Portland who are so insulated and disconnected from reality that any change from the status quo causes them to panic and demand that someone, anyone shield them from the change in any way possible.

Reactions: Chris
You got it. Bald tires, summer performance tires, enthusiastic right feet, panic, you name it. There's a lot of folks in Portland who are so insulated and disconnected from reality that any change from the status quo causes them to panic and demand that someone, anyone shield them from the change in any way possible.

Well that certainly makes sense.

It pisses me off to drive anywhere. People will do anything to save themselves 10 seconds on their trip; tailgating, swerving in and out of lanes, cutting people off.

Reactions: Chris and StG58
I know in Montana they sand the roads, not salt. And that actually works great, they usually get tons of snowfall.

That's what usually gets done around here as well. It still takes more skill than most drivers around here have to drive on sanded roads though. Hell, they peg a pedestrian a week in Portland because they are such piss poor drivers.

Reactions: EJD
Well that certainly makes sense.

It pisses me off to drive anywhere. People will do anything to save themselves 10 seconds on their trip; tailgating, swerving in and out of lanes, cutting people off.

We do. Doesn't help one whit when you think you can drive like it's summer though. Inflexible twits. Can't seem to muster up the mental capacity to adjust to painfully self evident conditions. Just remember kids...these people vote!

Reactions: Chris
That's what usually gets done around here as well. It still takes more skill than most drivers around here have to drive on sanded roads though. Hell, they peg a pedestrian a week in Portland because they are such piss poor drivers.
Its like you get a dusting of snow and people treat it like an Ice Storm. Everybody forgets how to drive instantly, accidents happen, injuries happen, shit hits the fan. State of emergency.

I feel for you guys, when I lived in New York my cars undercarriage was destroyed from road salt. Look into undercoating while you can!

The dry snow of Montana is different thing altogether .....
The damp snow of the coast takes a higher degree of skill to drive in.
Unfortunately, there are under-skilled drivers in both places ....
Slow down, allow yourself extra time to travel, and don't get mad. No one has the superb driving skill & experience that you have.
No one ! :ciappa:

Just wait a couple of years then see what the roads look like, the salt damage in the NE is incredible. I'm just happy knowing the odds that it will snow here are very long.

I read all the comments on these news posts where Portlanders and other Oregonians are praising the decision to salt the roads. They have no idea the damage that salt does to cars, roads and the environment. They're literally ignorant and uneducated snowflakes who throw a fit when they don't get their way.