Oregon Oregon Dunes

davew

Any of you guys go to the Coos Bay dunes this last weekend? Saw quite a few TJ's out there.
Followed a red one along I-5 for a while with a flag out the back as well:D
I don't haul my jeep down very often, but I do haul my RZR frequently. Maybe one of these times I'll run into one of you?
You'll know Money Pit when you hear it.
IMG_1948[1].JPG

Reactions: Chris
Haven't been down there yet, but I'm going to have to go at some point. I'll keep my eyes out for your RZR!

I'm looking to go up there at the end of August, got the flag mount installed and I just have to pick up the Permit.

Haven't been down there yet, but I'm going to have to go at some point. I'll keep my eyes out for your RZR!
Its fun. I took my TJ down for guys trip last year and had almost as much fun as with the RZR. Careful, you'll get addicted!
IMG_0619[1].JPG

I will update this post as I plan trips. I believe the next maybe trip is late August, and there ill be a guys trip in december.

I'm looking to go up there at the end of August, got the flag mount installed and I just have to pick up the Permit.

Sounds like you already have it, but an easy place to mount a flag is to your tire carrier- the factory ones even have a hole that perfect for 1/4" rods. Two zip ties and you are good to go! Off road tag is only $15 or so. If you haven't been before, pick your path carefully!

Its fun. I took my TJ down for guys trip last year and had almost as much fun as with the RZR. Careful, you'll get addicted!
View attachment 49652
I will update this post as I plan trips. I believe the next maybe trip is late August, and there ill be a guys trip in december.

Sounds like you already have it, but an easy place to mount a flag is to your tire carrier- the factory ones even have a hole that perfect for 1/4" rods. Two zip ties and you are good to go! Off road tag is only $15 or so. If you haven't been before, pick your path carefully!

Looks like a blast! Make sure you pressure wash the hell out of that thing when you get home from the sand. Sand gets everywhere, and it's got lots of salt in it!

I've never taken mine on the sand. How does it do with Mud Terrain tires aired down?

Looks like a blast! Make sure you pressure wash the hell out of that thing when you get home from the sand. Sand gets everywhere, and it's got lots of salt in it!

I've never taken mine on the sand. How does it do with Mud Terrain tires aired down?
It gets pressure washed almost constantly :)

They will do just fine, I aired mine down to 6 psi. Just pick your path and stay away from traps and steep hills. The only situations you'll get stuck are ones where you need more power.

It gets pressure washed almost constantly :)

They will do just fine, I aired mine down to 6 psi. Just pick your path and stay away from traps and steep hills. The only situations you'll get stuck are ones where you need more power.

Got it! But at 6 psi I assume you have beadlocks?

Nah, 15" wheels. They play well with low pressure. Obviously you have to be a little careful to not do anything to peel the bead.
The sand eats up a ton of power, and while the 4.0 has plenty of snort, its no match for the sand. Sand requires either power and speed, or lots of flotation. So I just keep the psi low and go slow. Haven't popped a bead thus far.

Nah, 15" wheels. They play well with low pressure. Obviously you have to be a little careful to not do anything to peel the bead.
The sand eats up a ton of power, and while the 4.0 has plenty of snort, its no match for the sand. Sand requires either power and speed, or lots of flotation. So I just keep the psi low and go slow. Haven't popped a bead thus far.

I'll keep that in mind! I've got 17s and 35s. I was always scared to go lower than 10 psi in fear of losing a bead.

I guess that's how those and rails do it... paddle tires and crap tons of power / speed.

17's will be more liable to peel, its a wise choice to stay over 10psi. The larger the tire, the more force gets exerted on the bead when you side load it as well. I remember back when 15's were what everyone ran on the 1/4 ton rigs. As soon as the 16" and 16.5" (some friends ran military tires) started being used, they blew beads left and right.
I actually ended up pulling my buddies rzr out of the sand on a trailer
Yep, or at least light weight.
A TJ with a fresh rebuild puts out 190hp, and weighs around 3,300lb wet. Likely running 31"+ tires at that power ratio. Compared to sand rails- which weight 1100lb on the extreme light side, 1400-1800lb for the old vw rails, and 1800-2200lb for the v8 rails. Even a RZR- 1400lb.

The weight and design of a tj fights it in multiple regards in the sand- its just not designed for that type of application. But still tons of fun!

I forgot about a couple other things- avoid razorbacks. They tend to be steeper than you anticipate, and I have seen a ton of rigs get stuck in nasty bowls because they go down one and cant get back up. I would also run premium, or even mix a tiny bit of race in to help cool the engine. It gets hot out on the sand, especially since you'll be working that 4.0 HARD. You would be surprised at how cool 93 octane burns compared to 91.