Oregon Oregon Meet, Greet, & Wheel

lowranger

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Do we still want to do this this spring? I think it would be fun! Never too early to start planning for the spring time off.
Just need someone (or two or three) from Oregon to step up and start planning. Just and date and place where we can meet, camp and wheel. Chris?

Actually, I might like some input from @StG58 on this and others as well. I say that because since we had planned on meeting half way, I'm interested to know if there might be a good central place where we could all meet, sleep, wheel, etc. Maybe close enough to a town that anyone who wanted to stay in a hotel could, but also somewhere scenic with potentially some place to wheel (or at least some good forest service roads?).

First we have to find the place, then we can plan the meet. I'd also like to do it sometime when the weather is starting to get nice out, maybe even closer to Summer. We don't want it to be hot as sin, but I'm sure we'd all like a nice sunny day much better than a wet and soggy one.

Reactions: StG58 and lowranger
Ok, so what all are we looking for? Let's make a list and see what we can come up with...
Camping should be involved. We could pick places we can base camp, then plan outings based on base camp locations. I'll likely take my RV, so it'll be glamping for me. My wife's uncle lives in Roseburg, so that likely may be a stopping point for us.

Reactions: StG58
I need to start looking at maps...
Dug out the Oregon Atlas and fired up the computer mapping stuff. The area on both sides of I-5 around Sutherlin / Roseberg / Myrtle Creek is old O&C land. It's a patchwork of public and private land because the Feds gave the O&C railroad alternating square mile sections on either side of their right of way to help pay for building the railroad. (The company went under and did nothing) There may be an issue with gates and access, but probably not. BLM is pretty good about keeping public access open. The Umpqua River area on both sides of I-5 is really nice, and there are support facilities at Drain and Sutherlin. If we look at the area around Hwy 138 there may be possibilities there. Lots of FS and BLM land and roads in the area north and west of Crater Lake. Lots of logging activity there as well, with big timber and the North Umpqua river. Maybe the Ragged Ridge or Steamboat Creek area?

OK, Oregon Backcountry Discovery Routes has a mapped trail system from Cresent Lake to Hauser. (High Cascades to Coast) 234 miles rated easy to moderate. We could pick it up in Sutherlin and do a day east, and a day west. It looks like a lot of fun. Browse out to see pictures. It's route 6.

Last edited:
Grants Pass and Oregon gold country? There's rocks and stuff down there. It's a little further for any Washington folks who might like to join in. There's supposed to be a trail from there over to Brookings, on the coast, that's fun.

Rouge River valley?

Bend and the area north of Paulina Peak is pretty cool. High desert wheeling in the dirt and basalt. Bring an extra spare tire or two.