ORO or Kilby York Kit

Byhumba

I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
Supporting Member
Hello all,

I am now on my third Wrangler TJ (or fourth Jeep if you count the Libby:sneaky:). I want to do things the right way this time around as I plan on keeping my latest TJ forever (Don't we always say that?), 2003 Rubicon. I have used the portable air compressors as well as the on-board 12 volt compressors (single and dual), so I am familiar with those. I have not used the CO2 tanks after considering all the pros and cons. I now want to go for the York setup. I just want to inflate tires and be able to run air tools without having to worry about running out of air. I don't think I need an air tank as I don't plan on airhorns or other devices that need an air reserve. I understand that I can always put all the parts together and save some money. However, I truly just prefer to buy one of the kits currently available and avoid the hassle due to time constraints:

https://offroadonly.com/shop/on-board-air/york-mini-on-board-air-kit-wrangler-tj-2000-06-with-a-c/
or
https://www.cuoffroad.com/product-lines/complete-airboss-kits/jeep-airboss-kits/

This is my dilemma...which one?

Last edited:
I installed a York OBA system using Kilby's bracket & kit but I sourced my own used York compressor from a local auto parts recycler. It only cost $35 used and it was in superb condition, never gave any problems. They had 8-10 in stock, I picked out the one that had the most suction & output pressure as I spun the pulley with my hand. A 12v battery is needed to energize the clutch so that can be done.

Those two sources of parts are charging an arm and a leg for the compressor, I'd buy everything but that from them. What you want is an F210 model, that's the model with the highest CFM rating. Technically I used an F210L which has the output port on the left side. This is my previous TJ.

Reactions: Byhumba
Great! Thanks for this information. I will read your install process JJVW. That setup was really nice Jerry! I will try to find that F210 York. There are not many auto part recyclers close to where I live. Is the York compressor from ORO a much more specific/improved compressor for our intended use (just air) over a 1970's or 80's F210 regular York compressor? This is the description on ORO's website:

"This is our new Heavy Duty York compressor modified specifically for air compressor operation.
This compressor has the head modified for use in a TJ with the ORO 2000-2006 TJ mounting bracket.
This new york air compressor contains pistons with an oil control ring, steel cylinder sleeves, improved airflow inside the head chamber to allow for less oil intrusion and a finned head allowing for extra cooling.
This is a 10 cfm compressor, meaning at 1000 rpm it will deliver approximately 10 cfm of volume.
The back bearing plate is modified to utilize an installed sight glass. When mounted vertically, the proper oil level (10 ounces) will result in a level shown in the middle of the window."

The flange head style shown on the page in Byhumba's link is the most desirable since you can install the two flange head fittings that make it easy to connect the input and output plumbing to. That's what I found the most of on my auto parts recycler's shelves. This was a common compressor used in older Volvos and Fords.

The flange style head is what the 28723 Flange Fittings in the Cuoffroad kit fit directly.

Last edited:
I installed the ORO kit couple years ago...its pricey but an easy install and works great...I like the new compressor they supply with the finned head,,,looks like you don't need a coalescing filter with that.

The ORO compressor is brand new. If we look at regular a/c compressors for older (early 2000s) cars, they range from $200-$400. The newer cars have a/c compressors in the $500-$800 range. These York compressors may be an outdated technology, but they are heavy duty and new nevertheless. They may be a little overpriced, I agree, but not by much. Just like with many other things we buy, they are worth what people are willing to pay for them I guess.

I was making the point that new compressors are priced at around that $470 on average. Now, if we compare salvage parts vs new parts, of course the salvage parts will be 10-20% the price of the new ones.

But, I do get the point that we can just get a compressor from the junk yard that will work just as well as the new compressor from ORO for a lot less.

So. What if one’s TJ has factory AC? Could the York be bolted into its place if one desired to remove the AC system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The factory AC can be converted into an airpump.

That’s what I was hoping you would say! I assume it a simple removal of all the AC items that won’t be used, add an oil reservoir and good to go? Will it have the same volume and pressure capability of the York 210?

Reactions: Byhumba and jjvw
That’s what I was hoping you would say! I assume it a simple removal of all the AC items that won’t be used, add an oil reservoir and good to go? Will it have the same volume and pressure capability of the York 210?

You'll have to research that. I only know that people have done it.