Oscar The Grouch LJ Build

I'll probably regret it but I just can't see putting money into a Dana 30. I am pretty sure I am just going to stick with the initial plan of getting a Dana 44. Leaning towards the G2 Core 44 but haven't finalized anything just yet.

I'll probably regret it but I just can't see putting money into a Dana 30. I am pretty sure I am just going to stick with the initial plan of getting a Dana 44. Leaning towards the G2 Core 44 but haven't finalized anything just yet.
What is it that makes you hesitant to run a Dana30 with 35" tires? Since you're already planning to regret the decision... lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Irun
I only think I will regret the decision because of what was said above. I am wanting to re-gear and add a locker as well as new shafts and I just don't want to do that on a Dana 30. So the amount I would be putting into this axle isn't exactly cheap. From my understanding the D44s I am looking at use the ring and pinions from the JK. I like the sound of that a lot more than building up the Dana 30. Plus I want to run a deeper ratio than the Dana 30 will allow.

Well I've started buying things again. Went ahead and ordered a RubiCrawler. I figured I need to pull the transfer case for the SYE I might as well add in the RubiCrawler at the same time.

Also, ordered the G2 Core 44 front axle with Eaton ELocker and 5.38 gears.

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and hoping they arrive sooner than later.

Well it's update time again. The axle is finally going to be delivered tomorrow. Or at least that's what we're told. It's funny, on my last update I was hoping for warmer weather and now I would love a bit of a cool down.

I did order a few more odds and ends. I have a bedrug carpet upgrade coming. As well as a swayloc. I also ordered new headlights for my JKU so the Procomp lights it has now will be going into the LJ. Nothing could be worse than these stock headlights.

I'd like to say we will hit the ground running on the axle install but at the moment we're in the upper 90s to low 100s with quite a bit of humidity. Unfortunately, my garage heats up like an attic and I just don't have a good way to keep it cool. But I will be itching to get it on as soon as we get a break in this heat.

Reactions: Irun
My wife sent me this while I am at work. Very happy it finally came. Now all the fun really starts.
G2.png

Ok for real this time, we are making progress on the LJ. We took it out to my dad's hangar because it has more space and a flat floor compared to my garage.
Parked.jpg

We then started taking it apart.

Flying.jpg

The rear axle got to go on a road trip to Topeka KS. A company out there called 4X4 Land is rebuilding it with 5.38 gears and an Eaton E-locker. If you're ever in that area you should check out the Blind Tiger restaurant. It's very good.

Axle.jpg

I then started working on the rear bumper and hitch. Why they plug welded the hitch when the thing can't hardly tow is beyond me.

Plug.jpg

I bought some special drill bits that was suppose to be for plug welds. They hardly did anything. I ended up taking a sawsall to it.

Hitch.jpg

Somehow I never took pics after grinding it down and painting the frame. I'll get that this weekend.

I found that my rear main was leaking while it was sitting out there and with the axle already out of the way.... I went ahead and removed the cats and decided there's no better time to do the rear main and oil pain.

Under.jpg

U2.jpg

There will be plenty of updates to follow. I will try to get better at documenting the progress.

I do have the vented plates for the fenders. We have been debating if we should pain them or not.

Not a lot of progress to report just yet. I installed the 1" body mount. Not much to show there. Tonight I plan on getting the motor mount lift on and start getting the front all put back together. I still need to remove the transmission to transferase adaptor. I think that's the the goal for tonight.

Next up will be doing the short yoke eliminator and rubicrawler. It sounds like my rear axle will be ready for pick up this weekend. It may not go in right away though. On Saturday I am working on someone else's Jeep to get it trail ready.

Reactions: mudmaster
We got the new motor mounts in. Much more difficult with Jeep all torn apart than I have experienced in the past. We ended up having to be creative with some ratchet straps as the motor wanted to act like a teeter totter while on the jack. We didn't have the weight of the transfer case nor the bolts of the belly skid to keep things from moving. But we got it in there.

Next up is working on the SYE for the transfer case. I haven't ever done one before. So this should be interesting.

We got the new motor mounts in. Much more difficult with Jeep all torn apart than I have experienced in the past. We ended up having to be creative with some ratchet straps as the motor wanted to act like a teeter totter while on the jack. We didn't have the weight of the transfer case nor the bolts of the belly skid to keep things from moving. But we got it in there.

Next up is working on the SYE for the transfer case. I haven't ever done one before. So this should be interesting.

I did my first SYE earlier this year. It wasn’t bad. I removed my transfer case to do as opposed to leaving it installed. The hardest part was having enough room to turn a couple of the nuts on the top of the transfer case. Someone ( @Wildman I think ) suggested using a C shaped obstruction wrench. Worked perfectly.

IMG_7520.jpeg

I did my first SYE earlier this year. It wasn’t bad. I removed my transfer case to do as opposed to leaving it installed. The hardest part was having enough room to turn a couple of the nuts on the top of the transfer case. Someone ( @Wildman I think ) suggested using a C shaped obstruction wrench. Worked perfectly.

View attachment 464890

I've always known them as half moon wrenches. But they work great for those hard to reach spots.