Other hobbies / pastimes

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Inspired by the "Day Job" thread, what are your other hobbies/pastimes besides your TJ?

I have several myself. Aside from my dancing, there's shooting and firearms collecting - mostly WW II service pistols; collecting old sewing machines; doing some "light sewing" - mostly to do with dance costumes although I also make and sell Bustle Pillows; "Piano Technology" - I have a 1918 upright that I've re-furbished; I still do some computer programming as well as maintain several websites for myself and others; my old Mercedes is another automotive interest/money pit; I do a LOT of reading; collect earrings and other jewelry; work on old electronics - especially vacuum tube equipment and old computers; and lastly I make and sell an ancient Egyptian/Minoan musical instrument called a "Sistrum".

I have two kids, so a lot currently involves them. But the things for me: camping, hiking, mountain biking, wheeling, shooting and I want to get back into hunting if I can find some other folks to join. I also do a bit of handy man stuff around the house (and friends/family’s houses).

Usual stuff, have three boys and my middle kid is super into football. His team went to nationals last year in Vegas, took 2nd!

So we spend a lot of time and money there.

Kayaking, camping, shooting. I used to do competitions but kids take a lot of time and money! Lol Had a lot of motorcycles over the years. Lots of fast bikes, went to a Harley for a while. Lots of dirt bikes and quads, did the sxs thing too. Back into a Jeep and happy with it. Used to fish a TON. Won a few tournaments. Kids sports took over (see the theme?)

I read a lot. History is my main focus. We plan to do a lot of travel when my youngest moves out (8 mote years).

Bicycles, guns, cameras, and Jeeps. I own some utility and odd guns, and some bicycles I've built from frame.

Nothing expensive like a boat or race car.

I've taken tens of thousands of photos (shooting for a handful I consider the best/frame worthy each year) and try to ride around 2 to 3,000 miles a year on the bicycles.

Haha, I’m middle of the road at my best. I’d like to try long range, all mine was pistols and three gun.
I know a guy who is into long range - and I mean LOOOOOOONG range. I'm trying to remember what his latest exploit was, I wanna say somewhere around 2,500 yards? CRS strikes again!

Yeah.... distance shooting and a TJ cost about the same. Match 6.5 Creedmoor is about $4.00 a round. I've done OK for the amount of time I've put into it. I'm a much better fly fisherman.

I hear ya. It’s one of things that kept me from it, cost. I handload so I can cuts costs somewhat there, but the rifle and glass...last time when I mentioned dropping $8k on a decent setup to start, I got the look.

I know I can get in much cheaper but I like to buy once, cry once as I have learned over the years, spend it once on good firearms and glass and you’ll spend less in the end!

Reactions: Zorba
I collect stuff. Ummm...yeah, stuff. At one point, I had 43 vintage bicycles in my cellar. I've cut it back, though, and now only have 23. I had a huge collection of Marilyn Monroe memorabilia, but that's been trimmed down, as well. I've owned well over 300 cars, so there's that. And I also used to have a huge savings account, but three ex-wives helped break me of that bad habit. ;)

I collect stuff. Ummm...yeah, stuff. At one point, I had 43 vintage bicycles in my cellar. I've cut it back, though, and now only have 23. I had a huge collection of Marilyn Monroe memorabilia, but that's been trimmed down, as well. I've owned well over 300 cars, so there's that. And I also used to have a huge savings account, but three ex-wives helped break me of that bad habit. ;)

This sounds like the psych profile of a scary person..... :ROFLMAO:

43 bikes and over 300 cars.... that could explain the 3 ex's

Did you collect the Marilyn Merlot wines? My wife has some of the more "rare" ones....

My practice rounds are only about $3.25 a round. Still, I haven't started reloading yet but when i do I can bring that down quite a bit. Now... my scope cost about what a new transmission installed in a TJ would.

Nightforce?

Yes go Dillion for your press man. They have not only awesome equipment, service is second to none.

I have about $1500 into my progressive 550. But I can load 9mm for practice for about $3 a box.

Bikes? That reminds me of this old saw that has been around for a bit...

3bikes.jpg

I commuted to work for years by bike - 4.15 miles each way. Still have the bike and ride it on occasion - but just the one...

This sounds like the psych profile of a scary person..... :ROFLMAO:

43 bikes and over 300 cars.... that could explain the 3 ex's

Did you collect the Marilyn Merlot wines? My wife has some of the more "rare" ones....
Yes, I have maybe three or four of the wines. (y)

Come to think of it, I guess you could say I collect (ex)-wives, too!!! :ROFLMAO:

I only have 3 bicycles for myself and one for each member of the family (and a spare).

I have a mountain bike, road bike, and commuter bike. Sensible to me but I get questions about garage space use at times. I need to look at new cassettes on a couple due to use.

I ride the heavy stuff on the trails to maximize workout. I'm larger so on a bike I'm around 7 feet tall standing up on the bike (I'm around 6'-3") and close to 300 lbs of total weight with my 45 lb steel frame bike moving at 14-15 mph. It amazes me how many people stand in my path on the bike trails like they're going to win if we collide.

Last edited: