Other vehicles that work as part sources for a TJ?

Tim Redman

TJ Enthusiast
I've read a few threads on things like being able to swap in seats from a Hyundai Tiburon, et al, in order to get seats with heaters and lumbar support, installing a Cherokee fuel rail in order to get a Schrader valve that many years are missing, and so forth.

Does anybody have any insight or tips on parts from other makes of vehicles that work in a TJ with little to no modification? Some parts are next to impossible to find in a junk yard (at least here, anyway, when the yard gets one Wrangler every three or four months, and it gets picked clean pretty quickly). These are finds that can save a significant amount of money.

One thing I found was the clips that hold the center cover for the dash. These can cost up to $5 a piece in various online stores, and aren't even cheap on eBay, but you can pull them off several different models and years of Dodge and Chrysler vehicles by the handful (1997-2004 Dodge Dakota, 1998-2003 Dodge Durango, 1998-2005 Dodge Ram 1500, 1998-2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 1998-2005 Dodge Ram 3500, 1995-2000 Dodge Stratus, 1995-2000 Chrysler Cirrus, 1997-2000 Chrysler Sebring).

Any others worth mentioning?

Most directly bolt on replacement parts are from other Jeeps, then other MOPARs. A lot of the parts do change something though and aren't the exact same thing.

With enough work anything is possible. My axles and airbox are Ford, my front brakes and alternator are Dodge, my belt is Honda. And I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Reactions: Tim Redman
My multifunction switch is from a PT Cruiser. The steering column cover is also the same part on the 2003+. I believe the Neon is a match on the older TJs.

Word is , and I think this may be of value if it proves out , the lower steering shaft bearing is the same on a liberty ...note not the entire unit , only the caged needle bearing

You have to reuse your assembly .

Most directly bolt on replacement parts are from other Jeeps, then other MOPARs. A lot of the parts do change something though and aren't the exact same thing.

With enough work anything is possible. My axles and airbox are Ford, my front brakes and alternator are Dodge, my belt is Honda. And I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
Advantages of a Honda belt (accessory drive?) Over a normal Jeep belt? Durability? Quiet? Strength?

One of the replacement breather caps on mine was pulled from a junkyard cj7. I thought it was neat that the same part was being used 20 something years earlier.

Do any if you guys remember the AMC days ?

They would run out of credit and change suppliers mid production , had shared parts with other vehicles...light switch same a most pickups , etc.

Here is a Dana 44 cover from a 99 ram 1500. A hair thicker than stock. I paid $4.99 for this cover today.

20191116_131624.jpg
20191116_131647.jpg

Last edited:
My multifunction switch is from a PT Cruiser. The steering column cover is also the same part on the 2003+. I believe the Neon is a match on the older TJs.

Are all year PT Cruiser multi function switches compatible?

A fog light switch from a XJ (sorry, I don't know the years) will fit in the switch panel on TJ LJ’s. The wiring color is different though. I have this one for my rear bumper lights.

4804AAD8-2346-48EF-85DA-482C0C25B634.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is a Dana 44 cover from a 99 ram 1500. A hair thicker than stock. I paid $4.99 for this cover today.

View attachment 125216View attachment 125217
My only concern would be the location of the fill plug. From the looks of the 2 pics the one on the right in the first pic is the one from the 1500? If that's the case you wouldn't be able to put as much gear oil in the diff.

My only concern would be the location of the fill plug. From the looks of the 2 pics the one on the right in the first pic is the one from the 1500? If that's the case you wouldn't be able to put as much gear oil in the diff.

The overhead pic of flipped. The Dodge cover has a higher fill plug.

The picture is flipped. Sorry for the confusion. The 1500 cover is higher.