Our Trip to Great Wolf Lodge: A Mind Numbing Experience

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
This past weekend we decided to take a trip to Great Wolf Lodge in Washington State. It's about two and a half hours for us, and as far as the Pacific Northwest goes, it's the only real "child friendly resort" around. Since we had never been before, we figured it would be fun for the girls, who are currently 5 years old, and 22 months.

We ended up paying a little over $500 a night for 2-nights, which seems to be the average price. Being that we paid that much, I went into this with high expectations. Upon arrival I was impressed with the hotel for the most part. Our room was huge and things seemed nice. After a nights sleep on the bed, I came to the conclusion this was possibly the worst, most stiff bed I've ever slept on. For $500 a night, shouldn't I be sleeping on some sort of nice pillow topper mattress?

We ate at the numerous food places in the hotel (including the restaurant), and I have to say that the food is actually reasonably good. I wouldn't give it 5 stars, but I would say it's much better than I expected it to be.

What irks me the most is that for $500 a night, it doesn't include anything at all other than water park access. Shouldn't we be getting maybe one free meal per person per day? I would think so.

The waterpark is awesome, but there was so many people in that damn place that it was almost claustrophobic. If it wasn't for that, it would be a blast.

The activities to do around the hotel are stupid expensive. There's this "MagiQuest" game that kids play by running around with these $60 wands you have to buy (not including the cost of the game). There's things all around the hotel that the wands activate and make these animatronic animals talk, screens come on, treasure chests open, etc. At first it seems cool, until you realize that there's literally little kids running around everywhere! It's nothing short of chaos. You're walking up the stairwell and kids come flying through the huge, heavy doors, knocking people over, running into things, tripping over each other. You'd swear it was a stampede! I ran into a number of kids multiple times. It was scary walking around corners not knowing if you're going to smash into one of them (which happened so many times).

We ended up taking our daughter to the little girls "salon" they had in the hotel. She's at the age where she is obsessed with princesses and glamor, so we bought the $100 "Princess Package" which includes a facial, manicure, tiara, and robe. I was thinking okay, for $100 this should be an hour long affair, which is what we were hoping for. Nope... it lasted all of 15 minutes! All the woman in the "salon" did was paint her nails, and not even the professional way either (like my wife has done). I've honestly never felt so ripped off in my life!

We came out of this trip knowing that while the kids had a blast, as an adult, this was miserable. It wasn't relaxing at all (not that we expected it to be), everything was drastically overpriced (I felt ripped off on a number of occasions), and the amount of loud noise and chaos in that hotel was mind numbing.

I think what really gets me the most though is that you're paying $500 a night for a room, which is the price of a room at most very nice tropical resorts (i.e. Hawaii) or Disney World. Yet somehow, you get nothing for that price other than a decent sized room with horrible beds and starch stiff sheets.

I didn't complain the entire time (except to my wife), so this is mostly just me venting out loud. I'm happy the kids enjoyed it, which is all that matters. I just can't get over what a rip off it was.

I guess when you're the only resort in the PNW, you can charge whatever you want and get away with it. If we do go back, it won't be until they're much older (old enough to go off on their own). Next time we'll take them somewhere better, where $500 a night is actually worth it.

I pass that place fairly often on I-5, and have to say that I've never been even remotely interested. Of course, I don't have children of any age that would be wanting to go, either. So, here's the thing: Your girls probably had a blast. You created a lifelong memory (for your eldest, at least...not sure a 22 month old is gonna remember). Kids are kids only once, and what you did for them was awesome. The day will come when they'll be footing the bill for their own kids' entertainment, and they'll have an appreciation and understanding for what you went through for them in their lives. I think ya done good, Dad. Kudos to ya!

Exactly. I'm all about creating memories for them, and this is the reason I didn't say anything about how horrible the experience was to them, I would never do that. That's what I made this off-topic forum for though, so I can rant on occasion, haha.

But yes, you definitely can't put a price on memories with the kids! I would have loved the place too as a child. But man, now I know what my parents must have felt like at times!

I have been to the one in PA at least 5 times with my kids, food is waayy overpriced, ridiculously hot in the water park and crowded when it is a holiday, they had fun. Not as bad as the $38.00 plain pizza we got in Atlantis, Bahamas......that was one of at least five to seven $7,000 ++ vacations we took our 2 kids on for the "memories"

Yes, the last one we took was a $6000 Hawaii trip. Like you guys said, can't put a price on memories. But once they get old enough and have kids of their own, they'll understand haha.

I apologized to my Mom the other day. I said, "Mom, if I was anything like this when I was a kid, I completely understand now what you had to put up with. I just want to say I'm sorry for that!". Haha!

It's hard to keep up with them at their age, they just never stop moving!

our Hawaii trip might be this summer....my wife gave my daughter a choice of a sweet 16 party or a trip...she chose the vacation. She started with Fiji which I totally shot down due to cost.....but still might have been a deal compared to a party. Her friend just had one with over 200 people in a wedding type catering hall, $1800 dress, party had to cost 30K.....not going to happen in my house.

Reactions: Chris
The prices of hotels and resorts these days is nuts... I'll say that much.

our Hawaii trip might be this summer....my wife gave my daughter a choice of a sweet 16 party or a trip...she chose the vacation. She started with Fiji which I totally shot down due to cost.....but still might have been a deal compared to a party. Her friend just had one with over 200 people in a wedding type catering hall, $1800 dress, party had to cost 30K.....not going to happen in my house.

You were probably hoping she'd choose the party, huh? Would have been cheaper than a trip... maybe?

Squatch that's Funny, every time I try to squelch the trip I get the car stuff thrown back at me.....Well Hey I do have 4 cars for myself so what am I going to say?

Chris those type of parties here are like mini weddings, there would be no way I would get away with less than 15 - 20K....I have seen 6 figure bar mitzvahs booked a bunch of times.

I left my grown kids behind on this trip and common mixed drinks start at $15, meals start at about $85 per person (up to 350/couple), a bag of chips in the room is $10. Sure glad I did not bring the kids along. It is a work trip and Palos Verdes is one expensive place.

We are headed to Puerto Vallarta next- heck with the kids:beer-toast1:

Even in the Cheeka lodge in islamorada, FL keys I got a pina colada and a shot of 151 to kick it up...$23 bucks, walked to the liquor store and bought a bottle of Captain Morgan and a 2 liter bottle of diet coke for the rest of the day.

Reactions: JMT
I've got a little bit of a different take on kids and "creating memories". Even when I was making six figures in IT, we didn't spend a boat load o' cash on trips, and parties and resorts and such.

I used to own, and sail the snot out of a 30' racing sailboat. We sailed it down the Columbia River one year to Cathlamet, WA from Portland OR. The weather was beautiful, and one day I let the kids and my wife run it full tilt for about three hours. They still talk about that. Another time we sailed it up the Willamette river to Portland for a long weekend. Going under the bridges and seeing the city from the water at night still gets talked about. The trip to Government Island, blowing through a race and beating every boat out there by a wide margin, trips down river to the small towns along the way...saw a Halloween movie being filmed in one of them.

They also got to go, see and do a lot of things in the out doors on our camping and fishing trips. Like the night we were howling like wolves by the lake, and the pissed off camp host came around to see what was up. Going through the Pioneer Museum in Tillamook. Hitting as many light houses on the Oregon Coast as we could in one day.

We've had a lot more "experiences" as well. We still do them, but now it's with both the kids and grand-kids.

I've always maintained that it's the exposure to new things, different things, and all the interaction that goes along with it that creates the memories. It's a big world outside our doors. There's a lot of interesting things to do and see close at hand that often get overlooked. Most of them cost nothing more than time and a little gas money.

Just my two cents worth.

There's a lot of interesting things to do and see close at hand that often get overlooked. Most of them cost nothing more than time and a little gas money.

Unfortunately for me, my 5 year old watches videos on Kids YouTube of other kids having fun at the Great Wold Lodge water park. So then I have to deal with the, "Dad, I saw this video on YouTube of this awesome water park and I want to go!!!".

Ugh... the internet is both a blessing and a curse.

My son is 1, and last summer we took him to the newport aquarium. He loved it.

My wife and I are expecting a baby in June.

I’m anxious to start taking trips with them when they get older.

On the other hand, if they grow up too fast then they’re grounded.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
My son is 1, and last summer we took him to the newport aquarium. He loved it.

My wife and I are expecting a baby in June.

I’m anxious to start taking trips with them when they get older.

On the other hand, if they grow up too fast then they’re grounded.

Better get a JL so they all fit :p

Unfortunately for me, my 5 year old watches videos on Kids YouTube of other kids having fun at the Great Wold Lodge water park. So then I have to deal with the, "Dad, I saw this video on YouTube of this awesome water park and I want to go!!!".

Ugh... the internet is both a blessing and a curse.
I can't help you there Chris. But I know what you're saying. My kids grew up when we lived in West Linn, on top of the hill. I got really good at saying "No" and dragging them along, even when they didn't even want to go. When they got back to school the next week, their stories were usually much better than their friend's stories though, so they learned to live with it eventually.

Trip we all (19 extended family) took to Grenada was fun, lots of hiking, mountains and local culture...trip the the west Indies brewery/pub was really cool as well....no resort, just a large, nice rental house on the water.