Outboarded Shocks In Action

Your shocks looks like they could use a firmer tune. If there's any flutter currently built in, the breakaway force is set too low. Performance will increase and the Jeep will have a more solid feel.

Coming from someone with no knowledge of this, what is the advantage of outboard shocks?

Is is to be able to have longer shocks and more travel?

I'll be sure to let my tuner know how much he sucks.
I could be wrong. Or maybe a limitation of the shocks. Or difference in weight distribution. I just noticed how the flutter kept breaking through and the driver seemed to react to it each time. I don't recall that happening on mine from the same tuner.

I could be wrong. Or maybe a limitation of the shocks. Or difference in weight distribution. I just noticed how the flutter kept breaking through and the driver seemed to react to it each time. I don't recall that happen on mine from the same tuner.
He is also not locked up either. He has enough front brake to lock all 4 and the rears are still turning when the fronts are skidding.

He is also not locked up either. He has enough front brake to lock all 4 and the rears are still turning when the fronts are skidding.

Good eye. That could explain the shock behavior too if the rear is riding up under the Jeep?

Coming from someone with no knowledge of this, what is the advantage of outboard shocks?

All of that, plus putting the shocks in a location where they work better. But in the end, getting a shock with good tune becomes a primary motivation.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
The one thing that stands out to me in this video is the increased travel. I didn't have much travel with my shocks in the factory mounts. It felt much smoother on waterfalls, going up and down. Seemed like previously I'd be much more likely to have a wheel go off the ground.

@GoBig

Hey Rick...I recognize that TJ in the background!

Reactions: suicideking

I am learning too. I wanted to just move the mounts to get longer travel, custom tuned shocks, but both of my Rancho rear shocks have trail damage. I currently have stock lower mounts and I seem to get hung up. Outboarding puts the lower mount up behind the axle tube in a safer place and less things to hang me up.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I am learning too. I wanted to just move the mounts to get longer travel, custom tuned shocks, but both of my Rancho rear shocks have trail damage. I currently have stock lower mounts and I seem to get hung up. Outboarding puts the lower mount up behind the axle tube in a safer place and less things to hang me up.

For me, it boiled down to wanting new shocks and not really wanting to spend the cash for coil overs. More travel and stability, plus the option of getting the shocks tuned seemed like a good mod.

Not to mention, these shocks are rebuildable. They're not in production right now, good luck finding them. So smash one, and it can be rebuilt if you can find the spare parts. Ask me how I know.

DSC_5688.JPG

DSC_5689.JPG

@suicideking suck a rock into the rear wheel house? I saw someone do that last time out. Lucky for him his shocks were not outboarded yet.

I have mine, but working too many hours to start a big project.

View attachment 226436

Yes, I was going up a waterfall and didn't quite have the right line. Thought if I gave it a bump, I'd make it over the spot. That bump caught a nice size rock that spun around the back tire and hit the shock.

What's the deal with the res being different colors? I have black res in the rear, aluminum (or silver paint?) in the front. I see you have one that's red and black, one that's white and black.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Xysos
What's the deal with the res being different colors? I have black res in the rear, aluminum (or silver paint?) in the front. I see you have one that's red and black, one that's white and black.
Fox doing updates and old stock being around. That actually cost me a fair bit of money trying to help someone out with some shocks. He could not live with reservoirs that were not the same color.

Reactions: suicideking