Outdoor battery tender?

Greenmachine

TJ Enthusiast
Anyone ever use one? I have an extra vehicle I have to store outside for the winter...and to make matters worse it doesn’t idle without some heating issues, so running it every now and again to keep he battery charged has issues.

Anyone ever use an outdoor waterproof tender? I am a little worried about them, but would love the convenience...

Reactions: Bad Habits
I have left vehicles outside and used a battery tender in the past with no issues - I just find a place under the hood that stays dry and run the cord out the bottom somewhere. But, if it's a vehicle that's really going to be out for the season I usually remove the battery and bring it inside on a bench.

I have left vehicles outside and used a battery tender in the past with no issues - I just find a place under the hood that stays dry and run the cord out the bottom somewhere. But, if it's a vehicle that's really going to be out for the season I usually remove the battery and bring it inside on a bench.
Which tender did you use?

I’ve been using one of these with the battery ring terminal cable in the same way @cliffish described on my old Dodge truck. It’s not completely exposed to the elements. It sits under a car port roof that is built onto my workshop but it does get wind blown rain on the truck. The whole battery tender lays on the inner fender, plugged into an outdoor extension cord plugged into one of the outlets under the carport. I keep the cord off the ground so it doesn’t get in water.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CITK8S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NCOKZQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I use the same BatteryTender Jr that Tom listed above for a mototcycle, ATV & a jetski. If I'm setting it up outside, I'd just place it under the hood or under the Jeep itself.

I use this one for the boat. I installed it almost 10 yrs ago & both the DieHards have never had a hiccup.

I use a "Costco only" 3A Battery Tender.

Battery-Tender-022-0202_COS-FrontView.jpg

The part number, 022-0202-COS, is the Costco version. The Battery Tender website does not list any current sellers, the same as when I purchased my unit at Costco several years ago - from a pallet of them.

The third party sellers on Amazon are offering it for $53 and up including shipping. It costs $39.99 at Costco with free shipping when ordered online. The Amazon third party sellers could be resellers. I have an acquaintance with a thriving Ebay business that marks up and resells stuff he purchases at local discount stores.

https://www.costco.com/battery-tender-power-plus-3-amp-charger.product.100241973.html

Reactions: reddvltj
The part number, 022-0202-COS, is the Costco version. The Battery Tender website does not list any current sellers, the same as when I purchased my unit at Costco several years ago - from a pallet of them.

The third party sellers on Amazon are offering it for $53 and up including shipping. It costs $39.99 at Costco with free shipping when ordered online. The Amazon third party sellers could be resellers. I have an acquaintance with a thriving Ebay business that marks up and resells stuff he purchases at local discount stores.

https://www.costco.com/battery-tender-power-plus-3-amp-charger.product.100241973.html
I was just being a smart a$$, kind of going along with the narrative @qslim started. All in fun , no offence intended...

Reactions: Mr. Bills
Not to get into a feud about acid vs. AGM but, is it that critical to buy a charger that is specifically for an AGM battery?
When I bought my charger years ago at Sears, I had the common lead acid batteries in my vehicles.
A few years ago I bought a Sears Platinum AGM (duel post) battery. I'd like to know if it's ok to maintain the battery using the charger on the 12v, 2A. setting?
Thanks

Some AGM batteries have a very specific charging profile provided by only a few specific chargers so it is difficult to make generalizations.

Ironically you mention one of those batteries - the Sears Diehard Platinum AGM. However, the issue was apparently limited to the Group 31 size. If I recall correctly, the complaint was an inability to get a full charge either with a vehicle alternator or a "garden variety" charger. Other sizes didn't seem to have the same charging issues.

There are several threads on the subject on ExpeditionPortal.com. Here is one: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/sears-diehard-platinum-31m-issues.150891/

Reactions: alittleoff
Not to get into a feud about acid vs. AGM but, is it that critical to buy a charger that is specifically for an AGM battery?
When I bought my charger years ago at Sears, I had the common lead acid batteries in my vehicles.
A few years ago I bought a Sears Platinum AGM (duel post) battery. I'd like to know if it's ok to maintain the battery using the charger on the 12v, 2A. setting?
Thanks
Yea, I've always read that it takes one of the newer, intelligent chargers for the AGMs. But even HF sells them now days.

Reactions: alittleoff
Thanks guys. If I venture out today, I'll hit up Costco and HF. They're within a half mile of each other.