Over the spare storage rack

Boomer453

TJ Enthusiast
I like the thought of having a storage rack over the spare and it seems like pretty easy project to build as opposed to buying (have a decent mig welder).
Anyone done it? Any tips or recommendations?

Thinking about something I can bolt to the existing spare tire carrier.

No real help here but a question, adding to study c'mon carrier or some after market? Not sure how much weight they will support, keep that in mind. You don't want to add more stress to the tailgate if stock.

I'd use a common hitch hauler type basket. Load would be negligible ( folding chairs, small cooler, duffel bag). I use the back seat and would like to get a little more storage tha. What's behind the seat for outings.

Be wary of bolting anything to the factory spare tire carrier, it can start failing with additional weight on it. My '97 TJ's OE spare tire carrier eventually cracked and failed after installing a 33" spare tire. Yes I had raised the rubber spare tire snubber height to eliminate wobbling. :)

Reactions: Boomer453
I'd have to do something like this to have a rack over my spare tire...since it's strapped to the floor in the back
42540-add2.jpg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I'd have to do something like this to have a rack over my spare tire...since it's strapped to the floor in the back
View attachment 167900

I bought that and modified the rear bar so I could mount it in my LJ. (Only required drilling a new hole in the bar at a different angle) I’ve not used it to carry anything yet though. Drove around with it empty for a few days and every now and then I’d get a vibration noise at certain RPM. The shelf is hollow plastic and I thought about drilling a few holes in the bottom and spraying some of that expanding foam in it then putting those trim hole plugs in the hole. I’ll wait and see if it still vibrates when I have some stuff on it.