Overheating issues

Jackson S

hey guys,
so when i take my tj offroad on mud and dirt it handles totally fine, stays nice and cool, but when i drive it on the beach almost everytime it overheats. why does ti go so hot when im not really pushing it?

4 or 6 cylinder? If its the 6 I would first check the fan clutch, condition of the coolant, and the radiator cap.

How hot we talking? They run a little on the hot side normally.

4 or 6 cylinder? If its the 6 I would first check the fan clutch, condition of the coolant, and the radiator cap.

How hot we talking? They run a little on the hot side normally.

6 cylinder and it sits over 100 degrees on the beach. its whack

I think he's talking 100 Celsius. which converted is 212 F. so really thats where it should run. mine runs 210 F with a 195 thermostat in it...

Reactions: IJK
so why do you think 100C or 212F is overheating ?

no so it runs over 100 on the beach, like around 110, and then will suddenly jump up to 125 and then old mate dash gives us a light show and looks like the fourth of july till i sit there for 20 minutes to let the coolant cool down a bit. i drive the car in low range because everytime ive tried in highrange the clutch burns and stinks cuz i cant get enough speed to go over the boggy sand.

Sand is a high load surface so in a way I am not surprised you are having issues with it over mud. Optimizing tire flotation and find a engine rpm to momentum balance is always a challenge.