Overheating with ebrake on?

Bertha02Sahara

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 5speed 02 Sahara 4.0, and it runs great, but if I pull the ebrake while at a stoplight or waiting in a parking lot, etc., it starts overheating. Doesn't do it when I'm idling at a light with the brake down though.. Anyone experience this before? Is there something connecting the ebrake to the electrical system? Thanks

Unlikely related. Let it idle with brake off, if it overheats with it on it will with it off. The e brake is all mechanical from lever to rear.

Is it actually overheating or is the gauge just going up? Either way really your brakes have no correlation to the temperature of the engine, but your ebrake does have a light in the dash where your temp gauge is, so maybe you have an electrical issue?

Last edited:
Okay guys I want to give a definite answer, the e-brake is most certainly not causing your TJ to overheat.

I agree, but it seems like there is some sort of issue, and I didn’t want to dismiss it til we had more facts.

My guess is it is not overheating, but the gauge is going up. Or it is overheating but for some other reason. Need more info for sure.

Last edited:
I agree, but it seems like there is some sort of issue, and I didn’t want to dismiss it til we had more facts.
Its a simple lever & cable that attaches to your rear drums/shoes with no sensors other than an engagement sensor. If the OP is truly overheating, there is quite a few things that could be causing it but the ebrake is not one. Its more important to retrieve the answer from the OP if they are getting a check gauges while overheating or if the temperature gauge is high. With the Jeep overheating at idle its more than likely a cooling system issue. Is the coolant not deteriorated & at a proper temperature? Is the system free of sludge & well maintained? Is the radiator cap holding pressure? Is the fan shroud in place? Thermostat in good working order? The radiator hoses not leaking? Poor airflow through the radiator? My best blind shot in the dark is a worn fan clutch will cause temperatures to creep at a stop lights. There's so many factors we need to provide useful input. Right now all we can do is a shot in the dark.

What's the temp when it's over heating? Possible stuck thermostat and maybe it's time for a coolant maintenance.

Not related, but does anyone wonder why you need to use the e-brake at a light...?

I thought of that too, but they also said it happens in parking lots too, so since it seems to only happen when the ebrake is on regardless.

I really wonder if there is something in the dash that is changing resistance in the gauge. I am curious for more info.

Sounds like a puzzle. Doesn't overheat with the foot brake on. But the parking brake applied for stops that are longer in time, gets tired of pushing with the foot and applies the park brake? Mentioned parking lots also, that could be a long duration stop as well. I agree nothing to do with park brake, but perhaps sitting in one place to long. So maybe poor air flow at idle poor coolant flow at idle...My two cents.

B

Reactions: ac_