Overland JL actually came out pretty good

The CJ5 and TJ frames are very very different as well as the suspension in each of them. The TJ frame would be a lot stronger.

Thinking more into it, if a manufacturer offered a V8 from the showroom it would have the necessary safety and build features to support the power and torque. They wouldnt offer it blindly as an option. I belive DOT has a crash test and other safety test for each vehicle and the different options in them.

Yeah, I guess that is my point. The Wrangler frame may not be built for a Hemi, and the mkting people probably figured out that the cost to make it "safe" would outweigh the potential profit.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Yeah, I guess that is my point. The Wrangler frame may not be built for a Hemi, and the mkting people probably figured out that the cost to make it "safe" would outweigh the potential profit.

I see lots of YJ's with chevy v8's. I think they could beef up the frame of a new Jeep and stick one in. I will tell you what, I would be more apt to buy one if they offered it.

I had a brand new 2010 JK with 3:73 gears stock with stock wheels and it wouldn't get out of its own way. I absolutely hated it. I am not loving my current tj with the 4.0 5sp and 3:73, but it has more power than my JK did. I didn't even own it for a year because it sucked to drive. I sold it and bought a RAM 1500 R/T Hemi, now that thing would get out of its own way.

I would entertain a v6 that would move the Jeep, or a V8, but as long as it is the same old power plant. I will wait or drive my TJ forever.
This is my opinion and only my opinion unless someone else agrees with me then it is our opinion. take it for what its worth.

Reactions: Thunderhead
I see lots of YJ's with chevy v8's. I think they could beef up the frame of a new Jeep and stick one in. I will tell you what, I would be more apt to buy one if they offered it.

I had a brand new 2010 JK with 3:73 gears stock with stock wheels and it wouldn't get out of its own way. I absolutely hated it. I am not loving my current tj with the 4.0 5sp and 3:73, but it has more power than my JK did. I didn't even own it for a year because it sucked to drive. I sold it and bought a RAM 1500 R/T Hemi, now that thing would get out of its own way.

I would entertain a v6 that would move the Jeep, or a V8, but as long as it is the same old power plant. I will wait or drive my TJ forever.
This is my opinion and only my opinion unless someone else agrees with me then it is our opinion. take it for what its worth.
Well you did have the worst engine of all time..the dog 3.8. My jk had the pentastar 3.6 in it. I had a 2014. It wasn’t terrible, but when you add bigger tires and you leave it with the factory gearing that’s what you’ll get. I’m still holding out hope that they change their minds about the diesel option in the JL being in the 2 door and not just the 4 door.

Reactions: ac_
My jeep isn't for going fast...I actually like that about it. I have a eco-boost (3.5L) F-150...While its not a sports car, I can smoke the tires with the best of em...or get it to hook up and flat GO. The 3.6L V6 is plenty good, IMHO. Would a V8 be cool? Sure. At some point though, it becomes unnecessary....just burns more gasoline. I think they'd be more apt to release a turbocharged version of a small V6 (like the Eco-Boost 2.7 V6) over a Hemi.

Reactions: Starrs and ac_
My jeep isn't for going fast...I actually like that about it. I have a eco-boost (3.5L) F-150...While its not a sports car, I can smoke the tires with the best of em...or get it to hook up and flat GO. The 3.6L V6 is plenty good, IMHO. Would a V8 be cool? Sure. At some point though, it becomes unnecessary....just burns more gasoline. I think they'd be more apt to release a turbocharged version of a small V6 (like the Eco-Boost 2.7 V6) over a Hemi.

I am still holding out for a V8 They used to do it, and they can do it again. I would like to be able to keep up with traffic especially entering a freeway.

Well you did have the worst engine of all time..the dog 3.8. My jk had the pentastar 3.6 in it. I had a 2014. It wasn’t terrible, but when you add bigger tires and you leave it with the factory gearing that’s what you’ll get. I’m still holding out hope that they change their minds about the diesel option in the JL being in the 2 door and not just the 4 door.

Mine was factory gearing and tires and still I had to floor it to enter onto traffic or a freeway. It was a huge pile of dog S$#%. My 4.0 does much better with the same gearing. I imagine the TJ is a lot lighter too.

If I didn't have to fight emissions where I live, my TJ would be sporting a small block Chev or AMC for sure.

I am still holding out for a V8 They used to do it, and they can do it again. I would like to be able to keep up with traffic especially entering a freeway.

They did used to do it...with 304 CI engines that made what? 180 HP? (edit: More like 130! http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/amc304.html)

Those old engines were not nearly as powerful as engines are today...The specific output per CI of displacement has increased SO much. They did sound better though! Don't get me wrong...I Love me a nice throaty V8 (my boat has a 300 HP SBC in it) but I just don't see the need in a jeep. Yeah, its cool....but its never going to happen from the factory again.

They did used to do it...with 304 CI engines that made what? 180 HP? (edit: More like 130! http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/amc304.html)

Those old engines were not nearly as powerful as engines are today...The specific output per CI of displacement has increased SO much. They did sound better though! Don't get me wrong...I Love me a nice throaty V8 (my boat has a 300 HP SBC in it) but I just don't see the need in a jeep. Yeah, its cool....but its never going to happen from the factory again.

Then I probably wont ever buy a new Jeep again.

I know my friend had a 304 in his 75 cj 5 and it would pop wheelies It had nothing but a aluminum intake and headers as mods. Pretty sure the JK isn't going to do that.

All I know is I would definitely like to get a lot more power in my TJ, and My JK was much much worse. I can't even imagine owning a 4 door with the same motors in them.

unfortunatley i dont see them ever offereing a V8 option out the box. V8s are a dying breed look at trucks a lot are going Eco V6 of some sort. Modern american sports cars are offering turbo 4s that hammer out a lot of power for what they are. cafe ratings are killing gas guzzlers!! Jeep has said they will offer a turbo 4, diesel and V6 options those are plenty for what a jeep is inteded to do. IMHO

I had a V8 mustang and i love the sound, the pull and everything that went with it. look at the ford GT a twin turbo V6 the Raptor is the same.

unfortunatley i dont see them ever offereing a V8 option out the box. V8s are a dying breed look at trucks a lot are going Eco V6 of some sort. Modern american sports cars are offering turbo 4s that hammer out a lot of power for what they are. cafe ratings are killing gas guzzlers!! Jeep has said they will offer a turbo 4, diesel and V6 options those are plenty for what a jeep is inteded to do. IMHO

I had a V8 mustang and i love the sound, the pull and everything that went with it. look at the ford GT a twin turbo V6 the Raptor is the same.

I was reading the specs of the new JL and they are all similar to horse power, I would be happy with a eco V6, but what is fine for you, may not be fine for me. I want it all. I want it to go slow when I am off road, and I want it to go fast on the road. (at the very least keep up with traffic). I would be happy with a v6 if it would enter the freeway without flooring it. I don't want a v8 for the sake of a v8, just a v8 can do that. Especially because the new jeeps are not getting any lighter.

Both my TJ and my JK (of which the JK I don't have anymore for this reason) I have to floor just to enter the freeway at the speed limit. I am not saying my Jeep has to be a porsche, but my old pinto could at least enter the freeway the speed limit.

My TJ does much better than my JK ever did. still not awesome.

I will probably never buy a new Jeep again for that reason unless they can convince me I can easily enter the freeway going the speedlimit that is not on a downhill slope.

My next jeep if I buy another one will probably be an older cj with a V8 and A/C retro fitted in. Don't get me wrong I like my TJ and it almost enters the freeway going the speed limit, so I will keep it, I just couldn't wanna like the JK. and I don't have high hopes for the JL. Maybe the JM will get me a 400Hp monster, but we will see.

I know you guys like to torture me with the my Jeep is fast enough for me stuff, but really? You guys don't wish it had more power?