Overland LJR built to explore and expedition

5.38 REM revolution gears. Everything seems smoth so far, weirdly I think less vibes than before (knock on wood) and the gearing really makes a ton of difference even compared to with the OD off before and 33s. Some pictures from the day: @Rob5589 is a true pro, thanks again for your install help!

5.38 REM revolution gears. Everything seems smoth so far, weirdly I think less vibes than before (knock on wood) and the gearing really makes a ton of difference even compared to with the OD off before and 33s. Some pictures from the day: @Rob5589 is a true pro, thanks again for your install help!

View attachment 77780View attachment 77770View attachment 77769View attachment 77771View attachment 77772View attachment 77777
View attachment 77775View attachment 77773View attachment 77776
Vibes only happen on TJs...LJs are immune to the vibes. Prolly that extra 10”! Lol

Well done. The new diff covers are a nice touch. You're almost to your moab goal.

Reactions: IPerkWVU

View attachment 77780View attachment 77770View attachment 77769View attachment 77771View attachment 77772View attachment 77777
View attachment 77775View attachment 77773View attachment 77776
Very exciting.... Job well done!

@JMT @tomtaylz glad to hear you guys have no vibes. You have no idea how much money (and downtime) I've spent trying to fix that crap in my TJ. Enjoy driving your Jeeps for me PLEASE.
I'm another fortunate one psrivats, with 4.56 gears, rear Eaton locker Revolution rear axles on 33" tires with no vibes.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and psrivats
So yea, it went alright. Ran into a couple snags: press to short for axle bearings, having to cut bearing races cause the puller didn't fit, pita shims that Revo sends. In the end it all turned out well. No vibes, runs great, far better than the 4.10's. So, what did Rob, aka the ex "Diff Master" learn today; one, proper tools make things so much easier; two, no more vehicle gear swaps only diffs out of the vehicle, which leads me to number three; and three, "Diff Master" Rob is no longer 23 years old 👴🤣

5.38s and 285/75 16s must feel like a rocket compared to the old gears.

Yeah definitely it’s actually pretty nice with these size tires even though I plan on going up one size. I was telling Rob that even in the city some of the very steep hills I wasn’t sure I would make it up, now especially on the hills there’s a lot more power and when accelerating to join the highway. It’s a big noticeable change and glad I’m not hitting the O/D off switch off every time.

If you were going to stay with the 285/75 size would you still have done 5.38?

I want to regear, and it is unlikely I'll go bigger than 285/75.

I’m definitely not an expert on regearing and where the rpms should be and all that but from what I’m feeling I would say it feels pretty darn good with my current tires, does it feel better than like 5.13? No idea, but it feels to be hitting the right gears, shifts smooth, I have a lot of power and the O/D isn’t really noticeable so I would consider it

Reactions: zebra12

Based on the very limited driving I did in Toms, I would lean toward the 5.38. Felt great in all gears and all the way to about 70.

@bobthetj03, yep, Rob is a bit sore today 😏

I'm still trying to find a decent rv park to stay at that is close by if anyone has any suggestions.