Overland LJR built to explore and expedition

Turned out nice and clean. Hope it quiets up those pesky vibes.
Just from the prospective of sitting in the seat while idling it seems a lot more refined. Before at idle the seat would shake to the point of annoyance. (probably due to the transfer case being so close to the tub after the TT) Since the seat is now mounted on top of a layer of rubber and foam, therefore isolating it from the bare tub, it has severely reduced the shake.

Before adding the dynamat I played with the pinion angles a bit to where at 75mph the vib felt consistent with the idle shake, so with any luck it will ride much better. But, this is Tom's weight sensitive LJ and we just added around 60-80 lbs so WHO KNOWS.....

The vibes he had at 60+ mph was pretty bad, so it's nice that you've reduced them to just the annoying idle vibe. Couldn't imagine him having to drive all the way to Moab and back with those vibes. When I drove there after the re-gear, I ended up removing the front driveshaft for the trip to reduce the vibes.

Reactions: tomtaylz
The vibes he had at 60+ mph was pretty bad, so it's nice that you've reduced them to just the annoying idle vibe. Couldn't imagine him having to drive all the way to Moab and back with those vibes. When I drove there after the re-gear, I ended up removing the front driveshaft for the trip to reduce the vibes.
It was painful for the 45 min trip out of the city to my house. In his case though he would have had to pull the rear shaft and drive in 4 high the whole way. I'm excited / nervous to see how it drives this weekend. Strangely bringing his front pinion down from 11* to 9* had a larger impact on the vibs then dialing in the rear. (for those of you who don't know when we pulled his rear driveshaft all vibs went away) His DS angle is so steep in the front due to the TT (I want to say around 11-12*) that I don't want to lower the pinion to 8* but may experiment with it if times allows.

That almost exactly like how my TJ looks like, with the bedrug and the Noico underneath. After the skid plate it was the only thing that made a noticeable difference for me.

Did you guys change the pinion yokes during the regear? I have a crazy thought. Would it be possible to balance the driveshafts with the pinion yokes attached to them as a single unit?

That almost exactly like how my TJ looks like, with the bedrug and the Noico underneath. After the skid plate it was the only thing that made a noticeable difference for me.

Did you guys change the pinion yokes during the regear? I have a crazy thought. Would it be possible to balance the driveshafts with the pinion yokes attached to them as a single unit?
I'll hop on since Tom must not have seen this.... @Rob5589 and Tom did the gears together. As far as I'm aware they did not replace the yokes.

I'm not sure how balancing with the yokes would work. I suppose if the shop was set up for it. In my past experiences shops have always had me (or them) remove all the ujoints prior to balancing.

So, what's the scoop? Did you take it for a drive? How are the vibes?

The vibes are still there although mitigated over 60. At idle with the AC on they are still pretty aggressive (less so with no AC)

For the over 60 vibes I think there’s still some pinion work to do. Last measure had the rear pinion 1* higher than DS

The vibes are still there although mitigated over 60. At idle with the AC on they are still pretty aggressive (less so with no AC)

For the over 60 vibes I think there’s still some pinion work to do. Last measure had the rear pinion 1* higher than DS
Idle vibs with A/C on? Check Serp Belt idler pullies. I found that both of mine were shot when I did my cooling system overhaul last fall. It made a noticeable difference and they are cheap parts.

Sounds like you'll be dealing with the idle vibes for your trip. Hopefully you can do the pinion angle dance and get it better for the drive. My suggestion, return the BD mounts, get savvy's 1" MML blocks and some fresh stock motor mounts and replace.

Idle vibs with A/C on? Check Serp Belt idler pullies. I found that both of mine were shot when I did my cooling system overhaul last fall. It made a noticeable difference and they are cheap parts.
Knowing Tom he already ordered these the second he read your post. :ROFLMAO:
Sounds like you'll be dealing with the idle vibes for your trip. Hopefully you can do the pinion angle dance and get it better for the drive. My suggestion, return the BD mounts, get savvy's 1" MML blocks and some fresh stock motor mounts and replace.
Thanks..... :p

Last edited:

Yeah I had planned to do this after Moab and kept my stock motor mounts just in case. It was fine with the MML before the tummy tuck but I’m sure the extremes compound any issue.

We’re going to try for pinion, driveshaft level; but remind me, the pinion should be lower than the driveshaft if anything (like .5*) as the pinion raises slightly with power?

Interesting I’ll have to look into that. Is there anyway to tell they’re failing or you just don’t know until you replace?

Yeah I had planned to do this after Moab and kept my stock motor mounts just in case. It was fine with the MML before the tummy tuck but I’m sure the extremes compound any issue.

We’re going to try for pinion, driveshaft level; but remind me, the pinion should be lower than the driveshaft if anything (like .5*) as the pinion raises slightly with power?

Interesting I’ll have to look into that. Is there anyway to tell they’re failing or you just don’t know until you replace?
Pull the belt, and give them a spin. If they wiggle or feel crunchy, they are bad.

Crunch time over here! Any success?
I got the new track bar bracket in yesterday and the axle centered. Got held up installing the new TB though since the upper bolts threads looks fairy jacked up. So as it sits now it has a tiedown holding the axle in place and just needs the bolts to finish the TB. Tom will probably mess with the angles a bit on the Thursday and the fire extinguisher needs to be reinstalled.

I got the new track bar bracket in yesterday and the axle centered. Got held up installing the new TB though since the upper bolts threads looks fairy jacked up. So as it sits now it has a tiedown holding the axle in place and just needs the bolts to finish the TB. Tom will probably mess with the angles a bit on the Thursday and the fire extinguisher needs to be reinstalled.

I did the fire extinguisher over the weekend ;)

No pictures but yesterday we got the trackbar back together, and got one of the recovery hooks on.

Also played with pinion angles a bit, the driveshaft was about 15.8-16.2 depending where it measured. The pinion was happiest at about 15.7, we tried a range around there but that’s what we settled. It isn’t bad just cruising, you can probably hear it more than feel it, under pressure (like a hill) you can feel it a bit more and there is the pulsing vibes.

Also found out yesterday the small piece of plastic that held my gas cap to the Jeep snapped sometime, putting some JB weld on it and seeing if I can get a bond before leaving tomorrow morning!