Overland LJR built to explore and expedition

Did you guys pull the rotor hat off to discover everything was missing?
Tom's list of parts to install is fairly long so after we attempted to simply adjust it under the tub it was put on the back burner.

Reactions: tomtaylz
We did manage to get his seized winch to work properly though after taking it apart and cleaning all the dirt out of it. So he could always just anchor to a tree when he parks on big hills. :risas3:

Your mechanic will probably know this, but remind him to adjust the brake cable adjustment back to where it was before you guys adjusted it. I'm here to help, really!

We did manage to get his seized winch to work properly though after taking it apart and cleaning all the dirt out of it. So he could always just anchor to a tree when he parks on big hills. :risas3:

:risas3:
Just tell him to tie off to a Prius. Plenty of them in the city!

Reactions: KCsTJ and Alex01
All the parking brake components are missing? That doesn’t make much sense, unless someone went to replace them and then gave up.

What I have experienced and others have too is that the brake lining seperated from the shoe. So when I went to adjust mine and couldn’t and opened it up I had quite a surprise.

Got the Jeep back from the mehanic. Parking brake is working, I did check they put the adjuster back (they do good work). I have now fixed all the major issues I discovered on my initial inspection. Now just to get the suspension right and I’m in a good state.

Good news is I talked to Savvy again last week and they provided great customer service in taking back my TJ rockers, really went above and beyond.

I’m probably going to order Currie springs and the Savvy CAs soon, as the guy I was supposed to buy the stuff used from ghosted. I have more parts than time though, will be racing to try and finish up suspension and get it bumpstopped before the MC skills day (right now no bumpstops).

Then I just need probably the rear drive shaft to get rid of my transfer case drop.

I've dealt with the guys at RubiTrux and they are great. I can't believe you found an '05 with under 30k on it. That's literally like 2500 miles per year.
I know you are shooting for 4" and 35s but I'm going to stick with 3" and 33s on an LJ (assuming I can find one, I'm looking at one tomorrow night). Can you tell me what the setup is in the first pictures you posted before you got your hands on it?

I've dealt with the guys at RubiTrux and they are great. I can't believe you found an '05 with under 30k on it. That's literally like 2500 miles per year.
I know you are shooting for 4" and 35s but I'm going to stick with 3" and 33s on an LJ (assuming I can find one, I'm looking at one tomorrow night). Can you tell me what the setup is in the first pictures you posted before you got your hands on it?

Thanks! I wasn't planning on picking up something that low miles, but the price was great so I jumped at it.

It was a skyjacker 4” lift when I got it with a transfer case drop, pitman drop and 33” Nitto Grapplers. I don't recommend the lift but you get an idea of what it looks like at that height.

Last edited:
New Currie springs, bumpstops, JKS sway bar end links, and hard top screws yesterday. Springs always take longer than expected and are sort of a pain. We also cut the rear spring perch as one was damaged from the shocks.

It felt good to get some of the rusty skyjacker stuff off, I don’t know what paint they use but all their stuff held up terribly as apposed to oem components with very little rust. That’s bother reason not to go with a cheaper lift in my mind. @Alex01 took a sticker off a control arm and all the paint basically disintegrated. Can’t wait to replace them with Savvy.

The Jeep has a bit of a rake after putting in the rear, I didn’t take a photo after the front but it was pretty spot on. I used the 3P coils in the back (vs the 2P which comes in the sets) which is recommended for LJs.

EE9E7EDB-F9D0-47A1-8469-5CF8EBD67784.jpeg

4ADC762F-5DEF-4C04-8E0B-B6A82B6B810A.jpeg

A126CDEF-2B76-483B-8DF2-00A39BC5AA98.jpeg

01955B4A-24E6-4703-A272-CEBC44DD9D0C.jpeg

C357AFCE-1370-46E3-9FF1-E49ECF999DA9.jpeg

D1D47E42-8C97-4871-99AC-04ED618CAB3D.jpeg

33D13B42-B141-47DB-ABB3-09B643D3EF96.jpeg

E009931D-A493-419A-A1B5-483483647778.jpeg

I don’t see weights in the tires, I’m not 100% convinced they’re balanced although she doesn’t drive bad. Going to get that checked hopefully today.

I think the gray is awesome. Great contrast.

It’ll probably be repainted when the Jeep gets repainted but yeah I actually like it quite a lot with the black.

Is it the pictures or does the rear look too far forward and the front coil have a funky shape at droop?

Hmm it does sort of look that way I’ll have to see. Probably need those adjustable CAs to sort some of that out.

I think the camera angle is to blame.

Not only did paint come off but a thin layer of metal lol. Not the highest quality part around.

Nice additions @tomtaylz. I love the contrast of the grey top. My Jeep is all black and I have a love hate relationship with the color haha.

The rear wheel doesn't look centered ... Don't think it's the photo angle.

Pictures I just took of each side rear wheel I’m parked on a downward hill. Maybe a little forward but no where near as dramatic as the first photo looks.

F9FA98C9-CA3A-4A2A-BB28-E57246BB45CA.jpeg

BBDBCBD8-BB3B-434E-BD20-25474E21E5A0.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats
Thanks! I wasn't planning on picking up something that low miles, but the price was great so I jumped at it.

It was a skyjacker 4” lift when I got it with a transfer case drop, pitman drop and 33” Nitto Grapplers. I don't recommend the lift but you get an idea of what it looks like at that height.

I’m surprised it has a transfer case drop, I have OME 2” springs with a Savvy bellyup skid and still run the stock rear driveshaft on my 06 LJ Rubicon with zero vibes.