Overland LJR built to explore and expedition

I’m surprised it has a transfer case drop, I have OME 2” springs with a Savvy bellyup skid and still run the stock rear driveshaft on my 06 LJ Rubicon with zero vibes.

It might not have had vibes, from the lack of bumpstops I’d say it’s fair to say the lift installer didn’t really know what they were doing so I’m guessing they just threw it on because it came with the kit.

That being said I don’t want to take it off and go down that path I’d much rather just get the CAs and make sure my drive shaft angle is perfect and will before I really wheel it.

It might not have had vibes, from the lack of bumpstops I’d say it’s fair to say the lift installer didn’t really know what they were doing so I’m guessing they just threw it on because it came with the kit.

That being said I don’t want to take it off and go down that path I’d much rather just get the CAs and make sure my drive shaft angle is perfect and will before I really wheel it.
I wonder if the guy just bought the kit for the tj that came with the drop and installed them simply because the kit said so without any consideration that the lj has a longer rear shaft.... wouldn't hurt to remove it and take it for a test drive. Especially after the mml.

Reactions: Midnight LJR
I wonder if the guy just bought the kit for the tj that came with the drop and installed them simply because the kit said so without any consideration that the lj has a longer rear shaft.... wouldn't hurt to remove it and take it for a test drive. Especially after the mml.

Yeah might not be a bad option next time I have some free time, fix that nutsert also.

Today was one of those rare days where nothing really went wrong, so I managed to get a lot of stuff done with Alex’s help.

Here’s the savvy bumper, antirock, and my new lights. I’ll need to take some better pictures in the light. The frame was very clean under the old sway bar as you can sort of see in the first and second picture but as I had some time I decided to go wire wheel crazy and did the passenger main rail and most of the front sections with two coats of zero rust as the bumpers were off.

34636712-4E60-472E-A107-EBD474BFA3FF.jpeg

29CC52DD-3178-498D-B257-0B2BEC831BC6.jpeg

346E9026-5209-4596-8C6F-3B83CEA8564E.jpeg

2B11FC9D-568C-4E2E-9A64-5A8136B2C72D.jpeg

Once all the parts are on we will need to take a trip down to hollister and give that antirock a good test.

Looking good brah! How do you like the AR?

Just in my 45 minute ride home I didn’t really notice it on the middle setting. Going around a corner there is more lean but I drive pretty conservative in my Jeep anyway so I don’t see it being an issue. I’ll have to try it out more.

Also managed to put in my new switch panel, grab bars, CB, and wiring up the DRLs. Nice to get a lot of things moved over to the done pile, not much left in my stockpile of parts.

I like a lot how the 3D printed (not by me) switch panel turned out. I sanded it down and put on a lot of layers of paint in attempt to make it look stock vs the glossy textured look you get out of 3D printing. With the additional trim pieces that my 00 didn’t have I was able to make the wiring for the rocky road CB mount nice and clean.

45743E04-976B-4F66-85D9-F7F662DB900C.jpeg
EFC44829-DC9E-4F3B-8225-770375D85C21.jpeg
0BEF9933-E2BF-4F7F-9F96-0C36DCAADEC0.jpeg

So I was going to get the Savvy bumper for my LJ, as its shiny aluminum and I could get a receiver hitch. But I read today an old candid thread by Blaine on a different forum who was saying that the hitch on that bumper was only ever designed to be a recovery point and he personally wouldn't put any tongue weight or tow with it. As right now I really use a rear hitch for my bike carrier, and I'd love to have an overland trailer one day it eliminated it from my list. Therefore, I am leaning towards getting a dirtworx. I know a lot of people have them, have towed, and I'm assuming it'll be fine with my bike rack. Oh and I save some money so that's a pro :)

I'm open to any other suggestions too, I do like the very minimal look.

Last edited:
The look of the Warn is clean. The hitch is through-welded and if you add frame tie-in’s you are very good to go for pulling any trailer up to 2,000lb.

A point to consider, if you are planning a body lift, you might consider a rear bumper that will cover the crack. There are a few out there. I can’t recall right now, but I think @Ranger_b0b has one.

Here’s my Warn with partial phot of a cargo carrier attached to the hitch. I’m about to drive over that Corvette just for fun.
F99EB395-0BC3-4D6F-8188-7324C3CF4A86.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: tomtaylz