Overland LJR built to explore and expedition

Alright so build direction wise, I need to stay on vision to get only select things done before Moab or I won't be able to get it done and I'll be broke. I've been looking at other items which I would love for my Jeep and plan to get one day, but in all reality I do need to limit myself as my goals are already daunting.

My (probably overly) ambitious list before Moab to install, I have some components bought already (end of April 2019):

Regear to 5.38 (bought)
Savvy CA's (bought)
Savvy BL (bought)
Brown Dog MML (bought)
Tom woods driveshaft (maybe? - check vibes)
Black Magic Super 16 Brakes (December)
Rear Bumper (December)
MORryde Tailgate Reinforcement (Jan)
Spacers (Jan)
315/70R17 KO2s (Jan)
Savvy Belly Up Skid (Feb)
Savvy Engine/Transmission Skid (Feb)
Savvy LJ Rockers (March)
Sound Dampening/Bed Rug (April)
Spider Sun Shade (April)

Flush all fluids.

Hopefully not needed:
Manual hub conversion.

Heres hoping to good shipping times, also :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Starrs
That is a very ambitious list brah! I can help you pair down a little if you would like some input, for Moab sake.

That is a very ambitious list brah! I can help you pair down a little if you would like some input, for Moab sake.

Hah I'll take any input over prioritization. It is very ambitious, we will see.

I have the sound dampening stuff in April as worst case that can get axed until after if I'm running behind.

Last edited:
Regear to 5.38 (bought)
Savvy CA's (bought)
Savvy BL (bought)
Brown Dog MML (bought)
Tom woods driveshaft (maybe? - check vibes)
Black Magic Super 16 Brakes (December)
Rear Bumper (December)
MORryde Tailgate Reinforcement (Jan)
Spacers (Jan)
315/70R17 KO2s (Jan)
Savvy Belly Up Skid (Feb)
Savvy Engine/Transmission Skid (Feb)
Savvy LJ Rockers (March)
Sound Dampening/Bed Rug (April)
Spider Sun Shade (April)

Manual hub conversion.

Heres hoping to good shipping times, also :D

1. Savvy CA's install.
2. BL/MML
3. DS if vibes.
4.MORyde tailgate hinges to keep your spare where it's supposed to go. Bumper can wait.
5. Savvy Belly up/engine trany skid
6. LJ rockers.
7. Sun shade. Carpet/sound deadening can wait. Don't know what the weather will be like in April/May. It rained on us when we arrived mid May. Cut down a horse mat for the back and Weathertech's up front to get you by.

Run the tires you have now. They have lot's of tread, and will be kind on mileage for the journey. You don't want to rush a re-gear. Finding the right place to have it done, break in period, then new tires is a lot to take on. Even with my pairing down, it still looks daunting.

I forgot you have Rob doing the gears, so yeah, ok. Still I think you need to cut that list down in half for Moab. Gonna have to brand you @Chris Jr.

Yeah I see what you mean, I'll have to see how I get on. Give me some credit @Chris would have 3 different set of bumpers, 2 suspension systems and 3 skid systems on this list at least, he can do a lot of damage in 4 months. :jump:

I'm actually doing decent at getting some money back for part's I've been swapping out. I've been quite the eBay seller recently and every little bit is helping.

He's certainly an enabler with his Savvy front bumper... Wish I'd never seen that!

@Chris feel free to buy anything on my list above and then change your mind and sell them. Dibs on the savvy belly up?

Unfortunately there is nothing better than the Savvy belly-up, so I don't think that will happen.

I've pretty much decided that everything Savvy makes is absolutely top notch. I have yet to buy anything from them that I don't like.

I also feel this way about GenRight as well. Savvy, GenRight, and Currie are my favorites.

Looks like the parts pile is about to grow again lol. I would just make sure you give yourself enough time to fully test and work out any issues that may arise after the tummy tuck. Last thing you'll want is to drive to Moab and hear your exhaust hitting the frame on bumps.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Looks like the parts pile is about to grow again lol. I would just make sure you give yourself enough time to fully test and work out any issues that may arise after the tummy tuck. Last thing you'll want is to drive to Moab and hear your exhaust hitting the frame on bumps.

Come on brah, get into the action. JCR bumpers up for sale! Or, maybe you should wait a week and grab those Genright's when he decides he wants the Savvy bumper instead. Lol!

Reactions: tomtaylz
Come on brah, get into the action. JCR bumpers up for sale! Or, maybe you should wait a week and grab those Genright's when he decides he wants the Savvy bumper instead. Lol!
My only bumper issue I have ran into is literally that it is too wide and I can run into it. Now only if I had some welding skills I could just cut off some of the sides and make it a bit more stubby.

My only bumper issue I have ran into is literally that it is too wide and I can run into it. Now only if I had some welding skills I could just cut off some of the sides and make it a bit more stubby.

One more reason I decided to go stubby. I feel like at some point the wider and taller bumper is going to get in my way, and I'm going to be more likely to start hitting it on things.

When I was first building it, I was trying to go for looks and function, but I've realized that if I want it to function and perform as well as it can, I'm going to have to sacrifice some of the looks, which I'm fine with.

Truth be told though, I actually like the look of the stubby bumpers. I think they look good. It just took a while for them to grow on me.

Hey... GenRight has them for 15% off today for Cyber Monday ;)

I feel like at some point the wider and taller bumper is going to get in my way, and I'm going to be more likely to start hitting it on things.
-

It's at this point. :p

8D3C7DB8-8A42-4BCD-96F1-EFFCA9A414BB.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
So we’ve had over 3” of rain in the last two weeks, and my Jeep has quite the leak, probably an inch of water sitting under my driver side pedals (I’m parked down hill).

I think it’s coming from my door, I left a bit of paper towel under my door and it’s wet which I don’t think it would happen how I’m parked if it was coming from the front.

Are replacing the door seals my best bet? Any brands which are better than others? I need to do further investigation also.

I replaced my driver-side door seal due to the same reason. I used a Crown seal and wasn't too happy with it; it's thicker than the OEM one and makes the door significantly harder to close, even after adjusting the latches. It also makes the door stick out from the body somewhat instead of being flush.

In my case after replacing the seal I still had water on the bottom edge of my door and new seal.

My Jeep will puddle water similarly to yours but for my TJ I'm leaning towards the windshield cowl seal. If you reach up and feel the wires behind your OBDII plug are they wet? When my floor is soaked those wires are always wet. I've even seen it in the act dripping from those wires.

I just got a new cowl seal and will be installing it later today, hoping solve my problem!