Overland LJR built to explore and expedition

Yeah, I haven't seen many black Unlimited Rubicons with silver hard top. Looks like yours has black fender flares. Mine had silver painted ones.

Yep I think my flare extensions are a bit dark gray and not a true black. Ill probably try and do a Hollister run February/March. Will have to find a day where hopefully it’s not too busy. I’ll post it under the nor cal thread although I’ve never been there so not sure if I’d be best to lead hah. Be good to get some more wheeling in before Moab.

Yep I think my flare extensions are a bit dark gray and not a true black. Ill probably try and do a Hollister run February/March. Will have to find a day where hopefully it’s not too busy. I’ll post it under the nor cal thread although I’ve never been there so not sure if I’d be best to lead hah. Be good to get some more wheeling in before Moab.
I'd be happy to go and show you the little I know about the place. I used to go there fairly often years ago, but sometimes life gets in the way so it's been awhile. I understand they've added some new stuff since I was last there, so I'm up for exploring.

Reactions: tomtaylz and Alex01
I'll probably try and do a Hollister run February/March. Will have to find a day where hopefully it’s not too busy...... I’d be best to lead hah. Be good to get some more wheeling in before Moab.

I'd be down for a hollister trip.

Reactions: tomtaylz
I've been a few times. It's a good place to hone your skillz. I'd be up for a run, but I'd need some advanced warning. It's 4.5 hr. drive to get there for me, so I could take the RV somewhere close. My Mom lives in Salinas, so I could make a trip out of it.

Reactions: tomtaylz and Alex01
Not if you are a bit enthusiastic about using your brakes. If you aren't and like to do long coasting stops, then yes. BTW- The Super 16 is a Big Brake Kit. ;)

Gotcha, so for longer coasting stops would you recommend the 15? I like to think I don't slam on my brakes much, but good to have the stopping power when needed

Last edited:
Reactions: Starrs
I don't even recommend long coasting stops for just the pads and rotors.

I guess long coasting stops is relative as I live in an area of heavy bumper to bumper traffic. I guess it all depends what’s considered a bit enthusiastic. I’ll probably end up with the super 16 thanks for your feedback.

Put my speedohealer in. I know it works because I messed up a decimal point at first and hit the 90mph limiter going around 35.

38DDA5E0-8C77-4C21-9387-6D0A096F9F22.jpeg

Which speedohealer is that? Looks completely different than mine.

BTW, I'll get you more usable measurements tomorrow on the Exogate

Reactions: tomtaylz
I actually did order it from blue monkey and got the shipping refund and everything. I guess just a different model.

That's weird. I wonder why mine looks so much different. Must just be a different model I guess.

Not the best photos, but installed my exogate and stock tire carrier last night. I cut the tub reinforcement plate so that I can handle the savvy tailights in the future. The cutting was by far the longest part, I was happy to discover all the small changes in the later model tailgates (bolts instead of torx, better bolt plates) which made it so much easier than when I did it to my sport.

Also I got primer under my hinges this time! On my sport it was bare metal.

Overall the tub reinforcement plate turned out okay, it was about as good as I could get it with the tools we had and the paint needs some love (it was late by the time we got to this point, going to redo this in short order), When I take it off to color change the Jeep in the years ahead it will probably get taken somewhere with more professional tools to make it perfect.

I’ll probably need the offset brackets when I go up a tire size too but it’s nice and tight against the stock bumpers right now.

Thanks to Alex for doing the cutting! Not sure how the baby didn’t wake up haha

750F264E-4BF1-4916-8F12-89D6C0026F3E.jpeg

C7A2BE2B-1917-4278-8C1A-88C4EDEE5CAC.jpeg

B516979C-41DB-4BCB-AB78-2E3EB018C623.jpeg

I’ll take a better installed picture today or tomorrow hah.