Overland LJR built to explore and expedition

Those freshly coated Savvy control arms are already filthy? Haha!

Antiseize. You mentioned you had a hard time taking some apart, were a few of them hard to really tighten down?

What CA’s did you take off your rig?

Stock uppers
Fixed length skyjacker lowers

I plan in dialing them in but didn’t have time.

Reactions: JMT
Antiseize. You mentioned you had a hard time taking some apart, were a few of them hard to really tighten down?

No, but this could be due to the powder coating. It's possible that trace amounts got in the threaded area, which can of course make it harder to tighten them down the first few times. Happened to me before on a number of other things.

No, but this could be due to the powder coating. It's possible that trace amounts got in the threaded area, which can of course make it harder to tighten them down the first few times. Happened to me before on a number of other things.

Yeah that’s what I was guessing too.

Too bad they didn't think to throw a cotton ball or something in the hole to block the threads from being sprayed.

Nice seat covers by the way Chris.

My Savvy transmission and belly up skid are finally shipping which is very exciting :). Next week I'll probably order the rockers too which they have 3 in stock (I moved this forward to make sure I get it in time)! That'll keep me busy for a bit..

After all that, it would really just be brakes, 35s , a rear bumper, and some sound proofing and my plan will be complete for Moab.

Definitely a lot of wrenching to do in the short term but at least the two months leading to Moab (changing tires, soundproofing) should be easier.

Figure out the timeline on getting your parts powder coated so we can put Hollister on the calendar. :p

Its hard to think that the rear track bar will finally be unboxed and installed this weekend after all this time lol.

Reactions: tomtaylz and Starrs
Figure out the timeline on getting your parts powder coated so we can put Hollister on the calendar. :p

Its hard to think that the rear track bar will finally be unboxed and installed this weekend after all this time lol.
I don’t see the powder coating taking more than a week, this isn’t Oregon!

I’m thinking like second weekend of March weather depending (and if there’s no big event at hollister)

Reactions: psrivats and Alex01
My old coax had a bit too much slack in it and as a result was hitting something on the engine ( I route mine under the Jeep) and had melted, swapped that out and I have a working CB again.

Replaced my front trackbar with a Currie I bought from @toximus and put on a new Monroe steering stabilizer (not sure what was on there before and I figured for $25 have something I know on there, trying to diagnose my slight pull to the left before Moab)

I think the pull is slightly better, didn’t get a chance to put on my poor rear trackbar which has been sitting around for a year. Next time!

BF15C383-78C2-4607-9859-497F2E6FE561.jpeg

If I included the steering stabilizer with the linkage, it was only a few months old and Monroe. I would do all debugging without the steering stabilizer. Add it in only once you have everything figured out. The purpose of the stabilizer is to reduce wear on the steering gear.

Reactions: tomtaylz
If I included the steering stabilizer with the linkage, it was only a few months old and Monroe. I would do all debugging without the steering stabilizer. Add it in only once you have everything figured out. The purpose of the stabilizer is to reduce wear on the steering gear.

I just bought a new Monroe one I was talking about whatever was on from the PO, yeah I think I’ll start more aggressively debugging soon, I need to get the rear trackbar I have on too and make sure everything is centered and angles are correct also. At this point it is pretty slight, if you let go of the steering it more wanders to the left vs a more aggressive jerk.

Last edited:
So gathering my thoughts:

Tomorrow I'm going to order the Savvy LJ Rockers as they are in stock! I am going to order a Tom Woods rear drive shaft too in the new future as I don't see doing the tummy tuck without one hah.

Once I have the rockers, the belly up, engine skid and "step" is going to get powder coated black. I'm going to rattle can the aluminum backers with some mopar paint and clear coat - hoping that it will look decent enough but I don't want to spend a lot of money due to the possible future repaint (not this year)

Next chunks of work
Savvy Shifter Cable
Locker Pump relocation

Rear track bar

Belly Up - if some exhaust work needs to be done, I need to figure out a decent way of doing that. Limp mode to an exhaust shop?

Engine/Transmission Skid

On the horizon:
Feb - Brakes and Regearing
March - Tires

Last edited: