Rocky Mountain Billy Goat Build

Hopefully @tworley isn't such a let down ;)
I might be... out of the tcase looks like orange, black and brown.

20191018_175951.jpg

20191018_180033.jpg

That meets up at the connection with red, white and black and to the box.

20191018_180045.jpg

And then the other three wires from the box which are green, black and red go to the original oe speedo wires which are white/orange, brown/yellow, and purple/orange.

20191018_180247.jpg

20191018_180213.jpg

Reactions: rasband
I might be... out of the tcase looks like orange, black and brown.

View attachment 120645
View attachment 120647

That meets up at the connection with red, white and black and to the box.

View attachment 120646

And then the other three wires from the box which are green, black and red go to the original oe speedo wires which are white/orange, brown/yellow, and purple/orange.

View attachment 120648
View attachment 120649

Awesome, thanks. Looks very close to mine as expected. The data wire is a little different color but I’ll measure everything to validate my understanding.

Reactions: tworley
One pro tip of having a TJ as a hobby with kids is trying to maximize face time while making progress. I’ll often have my son in the garage playing with the socket set or helping unscrew a bolt.

Tonight I prepped the speedohealer harness while my wife and I watched a bad (however entertaining) movie. Once she went to bed I installed and tested it (at least the onboard tests for the unit itself). Seeing a TJ speedo over 100 is surprising...

0746D0C8-BD3F-4F54-8401-C9354575AF5A.jpeg

The harness from the motorcycle this came off is too short to route to the engine bay and I’m low on butt splices. Consequently I had to think about where I wanted the thing that made sense. fortunately the shifter boot area has a decent bit of unused space.

B4E35542-CADC-451C-9D2C-17473A6B6B61.jpeg

Now I can fiddle with it like a teenaged girl on her phone at stoplight.

Closing up the wiring underneath and after the self-test suggests it’s wired right, I called it a night.

13A5F8E1-9EE0-4189-838F-99701181C801.jpeg

Tomorrow we are doing a family trip, and my wife is cool with 2 cars... so hopefully it’s enough to get near empty. I’ll settle for 1/4 tank to round out the weekend with a gas tank drop.

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley
Good work! Im really shocked no one else has taken advantage of that how-to thread. Sounds like you got the wiring right, when I first installed mine the signal wire was crossed and I immediately got a CEL for no speedo detected.

In case anyone cares, I set the Speedohealer today.

* 6 Speed Manual (NSG370)
* 4:1 TC
* 4:10 gearing
* 33" (295/75R16 BFG KO2 - 33.3")

My setting is +8.9 after reading 45 on the speedo, GPS at 49. Their calcs recommend (actual / indicated - 1) * 100

Reactions: Vasq
Nice build! I'm looking to do something similar. If you did it again would you still go with the OME or go right to a currie lift?

Nice build! I'm looking to do something similar. If you did it again would you still go with the OME or go right to a currie lift?

I think if I had experience building offroaders like many others here have, and had the budget, I probably would have skipped the OME lift.

However since this was my first offroader build, I am very content that I have gone slow and incremental to learn the implications of each addition. From here I can listen to what the scratches, dents, dings (and lack there of) tell me about what needs to move or be reinforced. After the trails this season and seeing the types of things people I can wheel with will want to do, a 4" lift will be in my future once I get the next 3 sets of CAs, since pretty much everything I have supports it and the incremental shift isn't as drastic as it would have been to do stock -> 4".

I also think 4" and 35s on an LJ looks pretty nice.

Reactions: jjvw and gaabbee
All I can say is FINALLY. And now that the weather is a little warmer again I can do the tank skid swap and filler repair. Hopefully by the end of the weekend!

2E5496B2-CE93-4392-83FE-9C4A8F411157.jpeg

Reactions: tworley and jjvw
All I can say is FINALLY. And now that the weather is a little warmer again I can do the tank skid swap and filler repair. Hopefully by the end of the weekend!

View attachment 122659
If you need to borrow or want to borrow my motorcycle jack let me know. It makes lowering and raising the tank so much easier

If you need to borrow or want to borrow my motorcycle jack let me know. It makes lowering and raising the tank so much easier

Do you think it’s substantially easier than a standard floor jack? I’ve not dropped one before so don’t have a frame of reference.

Do you think it’s substantially easier than a standard floor jack? I’ve not dropped one before so don’t have a frame of reference.

With an empty tank, I don't think it should be a problem with a floor jack. I had to use two to do it with mine, but it was 5/8 full so the sloshing was making it unbalanced.

A motorcycle jack would definitely make it easier to balance and slide around to get the tank lined up to be bolted back up though.

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 8.33.07 PM.png

Floor jack works. Trans jack is a little easier because of the larger platform.

The motorcycle jack has a square platform, it's easier than a floor Jack in my opinion. No need to balance the tank. Plus going back up you can raise it, start a serrated nut and move around to the next one while the tank is supported. It's not necessary, but sure helps

When I installed my skid last month, I used a bottle jack and several blocks of wood. Don't do it that way if you can manage. :)

When I installed my skid last month, I used a bottle jack and several blocks of wood. Don't do it that way if you can manage. :)

haha, yeah Tyler is dropping by his lift. I’m in favor of making jobs easier if I can :)

Hopefully pulling the gas flapper isn’t too painful, to be honest I’m almost more excited about that than the new skid (only because it’s a more frequent annoyance).

Reactions: jjvw
just to settle the weight discussion:

OEM on an 06: 26.8# (hardware included)
Savvy: 32.6# (hardware included)

So sticking with steel people more than double the weight there.

In mountain biking that would define me as a weight weenie for caring, and I’ll own that.

678F8E13-4205-4C75-AF30-4807864FF8F5.jpeg

2C51A226-EE0F-4325-A8DA-54E3F8F82DB6.jpeg

Well boys, we did it.

Filler overflow is fixed, I almost didn’t get to it because fishing in a gas tank sucks (even mostly empty) and I was interrupted constantly today. However I finally got it loose without breaking anything.

No overflow on the first fill up 🙇

3CAD7E7D-0D42-47C1-B1F4-021F057515EA.jpeg

Now for clearance addition. I went from ~15” (6” off the frame) to ~16 7/8”. It’s also tighter all the way around, which is a welcome addition.

Can’t wait to see it perform next season.

Edit: oh and the money shot. Excuse the wire hanging down I need to hook up for the reverse lights

image.jpg

Last edited: