Rocky Mountain Billy Goat Build

20200606_135207.jpg
20200606_132928.jpg
20200606_124752.jpg
20200606_124747.jpg
20200606_113147.jpg
20200606_093850.jpg

I wish I knew what I did this on and if/how I could have avoided it, but busted a ujoint on Chinaman today. So I drove out in 3wheel. Fortunately as the pics show above there was a lot of help from the group

64777D64-0D27-4E85-B502-21232A00029D.jpeg

Unfortunately that tore up the ears so it won’t likely hold a cap...

I got this response from my wife when she saw the axle shaft order:

53FF9B89-43A9-4563-8CD7-8346288A9269.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DrDmoney
Amazon pricing is interesting, I bought the axle shafts for just over $500. However now I look at the price and they’re over $1160.

I’m going to rebuild the old set (or parts I can use, anyway) as trail spares.

I wish I knew what I did this on and if/how I could have avoided it, but busted a ujoint on Chinaman today. So I drove out in 3wheel. Fortunately as the pics show above there was a lot of help from the group

View attachment 167975

Unfortunately that tore up the ears so it won’t likely hold a cap...

I got this response from my wife when she saw the axle shaft order:

View attachment 168071

The yoke stretched and the cap popped out. Then it got caught between the yoke and the knuckle creating that gouge on the long half.

The next steps would have been an actual broken u joint cross or potentially a broken ball joint as the two halves of the shaft crash into each other and overlap.

It always starts with a stretched yoke. Good alloy shafts don't stretch nearly as easy as stock

Reactions: rasband
Amazon pricing is interesting, I bought the axle shafts for just over $500. However now I look at the price and they’re over $1160.

I’m going to rebuild the old set (or parts I can use, anyway) as trail spares.

From what I’ve heard how their pricing works on items not bought often is they basically Dutch auction it down until someone buys it. As soon as one person buys it it goes back to list price. You can get some good deals when you learn how to play with it a bit.

You got them from Ben?

Yeah, they seem to be in pretty good shape. From what he said, Blaine did a lot of the work on his former LJ

I’m considering sending them in to Fox for a rebuild, just to get a baseline. Do you think that would be worthwhile?

Last minute on Friday, I did the rubicon switch bypass to be able to individually control the front and rear lockers prepping for Chinaman. This really is a game changer as more often than not, the front seems to be enough and I can still steer.

E45A96AC-221F-4409-8240-793931957549.jpeg

Reactions: jjvw
Yeah, they seem to be in pretty good shape. From what he said, Blaine did a lot of the work on his former LJ

I’m considering sending them in to Fox for a rebuild, just to get a baseline. Do you think that would be worthwhile?

Run them as is and compare to what you have now.

Careful with relying too much on the LSD. ;)

No joke! I’m now pricing out options for the rear axle - and will be curious what you go with. It seems like regear+whatever makes sense to do all at once in my case.

ARB RD117 with thick cut gears. If you are doing a regear at the same time then consider the RD116 with standard cut gears. Doesn't really matter which.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I’m not sure a new axle set is necessary at this point, but time will tell. I think for now the path is stick with the regear plan and wait out the LSD - I don’t want to solve too many problems I don’t have yet.

Reactions: jjvw
I’m not sure a new axle set is necessary at this point, but time will tell. I think for now the path is stick with the regear plan and wait out the LSD - I don’t want to solve too many problems I don’t have yet.
New axles around $7400. Minus say $3500 for your rubi axles and pumps. Is $3900.
How much is a re-gear, chromoly axles, and labor going to run you? It doesn’t seem far off to me.