Rocky Mountain Billy Goat Build

I envy you two for those rock rails, I want a set of those for my LJ. Currently I have the regular rubicon ones. Where did you source them from?

Mine were on it when I bought it. Those and the mopar rock crawler front bumper - but I think I’ve seen them for sale on here before. Though shipping would likely be pricey.

First refinished rocker. It’s not perfect, but definitely significantly improved and buys me time to think about replacements someday if they deteriorate again.

I replaced the old (and slightly rusted) bolts with M6x1.0 and blue lock tight. I couldn’t find wider washers at Ace, so the smallish ones are there for now. The original bolts are underneath due to the washer sizing issue, probably need to make it to a bigger store.

I think I like the finish with the bolts, but time will probably tell.

9704DDFA-BD48-4013-9CAD-43C2DE13FEE3.jpeg

The passenger side rocker was in worse shape and required a bit more cleanup. For example at the attachment points:

4D0B6B41-6691-4946-9D87-D47E09FF1708.jpeg

I’m got closer to the metal from there and evened out the sides hoping it’s not too obvious.

image.jpg

Definitely a bit better, if I wasn’t doing a textured finish I would have gone further.

Once it dries for a while I’ll get the coating on and installed again once that cures.

I was going to mount the steering skid today using the frame bolt and a tap for another, however it seemed too far toward the driver to me (and requires a fat washer). Additionally the recovery point may do decent protection on anything biased toward the driver side. Thank God for Kroil to help get that bolt out.

Seeing how the skid sits I think I want to tap both holes and move it over about 1.5-2”, assuming the bumper crossbar is substantial enough for that.

I’m going to leave it mounted with the single bolt while I think about it a few days.

843AA1AF-FD20-4EE5-86DB-E29A847484B2.jpeg

496756F9-780A-4407-9421-DB56DD9DB6B8.jpeg

During a lunch break I figured I’d address the steering skid options and settled on drilling/tapping dedicated mount points. Another trip to Ace for grade 8 bolts/washers and we are set for now.

For a free part there’s nothing to complain about for a little added protection and rigidity.

80B50B90-9FAC-47FA-8DFC-5D8EA3BAA06F.jpeg

D4E7D649-CA44-4C39-B5BE-233D9013E2AC.jpeg

Tonight was all prep for the lift, spraying all the bolts/nuts with Kroil and making fake Fox shocks.

I couldn’t decide on a color and didn’t like white, so silver it is.

1C349E7B-35CD-4CD8-A7FA-2DFBBEE14EFD.jpeg

And trashing those ridiculous looking boots.

16C6A841-3604-4189-9B69-438C9299AC0B.jpeg

While unpacking everything I realized the OME trackbar relocation bracket doesn’t have the same angle as the JKS people seem to favor - so I also ordered that as well. Looking at that diagram it may even be for the wrong axle...

5F0EC0E7-2473-42D1-AA10-BE6CE03329A7.jpeg

Reactions: Starrs
I emailed Savvy today to ask if they had any promos worth sharing (and telling them I will be a customer at some point regardless), unfortunately for my credit card they did (~5%).

Other than the JKS rear trackbar relocation bracket to hopefully round out the suspension lift, I also have inbound, prepping for my southwestern CO trip, a TC shifter cable and 1.25" pucks for a BL. Originally I planned to wait on the TC cable to see how my LJR handled the shift, but since they were nice about it and I like supporting small businesses I went for it. It seems pretty obvious it was an eventuality.

The last thing for the month I want to add to the liabilities is a MORE MML... the tummy tuck goals may be deferred until the winter, depending on if I need any unplanned parts for the two outstanding projects (OME/Rancho Suspension and BL/MML). That will likely be a UCF Extra-Clearance Skid as a good compromise between the Barnes and Savvy options.

It was a little bit of a marathon of learning tonight, but got the front suspension lift wrapped up. I netted just over 2” up front (probably because I had spacers in there before to correct the rake).

Before:

06323373-23E7-4A50-9427-EEEB5B61D55B.jpeg

After:

87BA8AA7-8BBF-4040-8582-F058065FFD11.jpeg

The OME springs are a lot beefier (and of course taller):

29D083E2-1F5F-4133-BFCF-B38A4B5C6027.jpeg

I like the stance a little better, hopefully tomorrow I can get to the rear.

Last edited:
Bummer, I was really excited to get the rear done. However the axle pulls too far over with the OEM trackbar. It may not impact performance but I’m anal enough that it’s not gonna work.

Rockmen had a good deal on the JKS and are in the Denver area, hopefully it’s here shortly or I can pick it up.

Good news is other than the sway and trackbar, everything’s ready to button back up. I even got to a diff fluid flush and went to a lube locker.

I was working through my spreadsheet tonight of other upcoming things to care about and got discouraged about the shovel as I have a week long trip through southwestern Colorado coming up in September... it’s one of the hard parts of “accomplishing X requiresY”, but that’s TJ ownership I suppose.

This fall I plan to tackle the precursors to that project like relocating the rubicon locker pumps. Maybe by the end of the year that project can be wrapped up, skid replacement (UCF planned at the moment) included.

The last big thing past that is either disconnects or the Antirock, which definitely seem like a post-shovel concern since I can get the articulation with homemade disconnects.

The rest of the spreadsheet is “nice to have” as I find needs (raise the gas skid, replace the front bumper, etc).

Last edited:
Ahhh, the infamous skid plate shovel.

That was the one mod that took my TJ in a completely different direction and caused a cascade of changes thereafter. Fortunately you have a LJ with the longer wheelbase, so you won't run into the extreme driveshaft angle I was running into. If I did it over again, I would buy an LJ no doubt.

Reactions: rasband
Ahhh, the infamous skid plate shovel.

That was the one mod that took my TJ in a completely different direction and caused a cascade of changes thereafter. Fortunately you have a LJ with the longer wheelbase, so you won't run into the extreme driveshaft angle I was running into. If I did it over again, I would buy an LJ no doubt.

The long wheel base a good and bad thing. The downside is that the shovel is extra important with the breakover. I may suck it up and order the skid sooner than later...

I don't know about the UFC skid, but the Savvy engine skid will mount to the factory transfer case. You could go ahead and install it until you do your tummy tuck.

One other thing, the Savvy skid already had beveled holes drilled for the rear of the skid. All I had to do was line it up and drill the factory transfer skid. I don't know if the UFC one does or not.

I don't know about the UFC skid, but the Savvy engine skid will mount to the factory transfer case. You could go ahead and install it until you do your tummy tuck.

One other thing, the Savvy skid already had beveled holes drilled for the rear of the skid. All I had to do was line it up and drill the factory transfer skid. I don't know if the UFC one does or not.

I hadn't planned on an engine skid yet, but that is a good option. Hopefully over a few trips this month I can get a feel of which item to prioritize.

I hadn't planned on an engine skid yet, but that is a good option. Hopefully over a few trips this month I can get a feel of which item to prioritize.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about an engine skid. : )

Reactions: rasband
The long wheel base a good and bad thing. The downside is that the shovel is extra important with the breakover. I may suck it up and order the skid sooner than later...

I hear you. I think the ultimate is probably a TJ with an extended wheelbase possibly.

That shovel really couldn't hang any lower than it does. That seems like maybe they wanted to save some when designing the TJ :ROFLMAO:

I hear you. I think the ultimate is probably a TJ with an extended wheelbase possibly.

That shovel really couldn't hang any lower than it does. That seems like maybe they wanted to save some when designing the TJ :ROFLMAO:

It's really the only thing on the rig that I think was just totally ignored. Other things can be improved, but they function fairly well out of the factory, probably well enough for the majority of buyers.