Rocky Mountain Billy Goat Build

It's really the only thing on the rig that I think was just totally ignored. Other things can be improved, but they function fairly well out of the factory, probably well enough for the majority of buyers.

I agree. The JK doesn't have a flat belly by any means, but they made all of the skid plats angled from the factory so that there is no actual "shovel" like there is on the TJ.

That shovel design is just begging to get hung up on anything and everything.

Reactions: rasband
OME 2.5” Lift “done”. I made the factory trackbar work until the JKS adjustable arrives so I can get a feel for the changes and see if anything else needs to be done before the body lift this week (at which point I hope my tires are in need of becoming 33s next summer).

I’m still evaluating the rake - I think packed with gear it’ll be about right but there’s a chance I may want 0.75” spacers or so.

Edit: here’s the numbers, I do think I’ll go for a 0.75” Spacer in the front. The small front increase isn’t surprising, I had a 1.25” spacer from Rob in before.

Front: 33 -> 34.75”
Rear: 34 -> 36.25”

8F6D90AF-470E-4CFB-95EF-2707FC3CAAFA.jpeg

AB0B1BFA-C613-4D02-AC20-BBA002DC6CF4.jpeg

I was going to install the Savvy TC shifter today, but there was a small shipping issue where I got the hardware for the 231 instead. Not a problem, just a minor delay.

The Remaining BL piece should be here shortly, so that may be in by next weekend.

As a comparison, here is where I started last September:

lj-stock-2018-09-01.jpg

Last edited:
Today/Yesterday I wrapped up the body lift (1.25” Savvy) and got the Savvy shifter cable installed. The shifting feels good, though I’m sure I need to dial it in out in the wild once the MML is done.

I moved on to the complementing MML (MORE) but got stuck early, and took the night off. I may use it as an excuse for some new wrenches in the collection to get the mount bolts off... Kroil is soaking tonight.

I’ll be running the 31” Wrangler MTR until they are bald, but the build is screaming for 33s.

Reactions: Starrs
I’ve been debating disconnects vs the Antirock for a while now... since my sway bar disconnects need a replacement the question became a more immediate one. Rather than spend $40 on extended links or $170 on disconnects I finally decided to suck up the cost of the Antirock.

Hope my wife doesn’t hate me...

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
Having had both the JKS quick disconnects and the Antirock, I would never go with disconnects over the Antirock. Hell, just not having to get out and disconnect them every time is worth it alone!

Reactions: Backdraft
Having had both the JKS quick disconnects and the Antirock, I would never go with disconnects over the Antirock. Hell, just not having to get out and disconnect them every time is worth it alone!

What really sold me was on eBay new ones were around $350 and they were running low, probably a stupid rationalization. I don’t mind disconnecting too much as part of the airdown/up routine but really like the added stability vs full disconnect.

Edit: Oh, and that this was more innediately affordable than the tummy tuck I’ll hopefully get to by next summer. The whole DS, skid, and CAs really blows up a plan :D

Reactions: Chris
What really sold me was on eBay new ones were around $350 and they were running low, probably a stupid rationalization. I don’t mind disconnecting too much as part of the airdown/up routine but really like the added stability vs full disconnect.

Edit: Oh, and that this was more innediately affordable than the tummy tuck I’ll hopefully get to by next summer. The whole DS, skid, and CAs really blows up a plan :D

Yes, every so often they go on sale on Amazon for $346 or something, which is hard to say no to.

And yes, like you said, cheaper than the tummy tuck. Still, you have an advantage with the LJ, a big one. The driveline is much longer, which will equate to far less severe driveline angles as I was encountering with my TJ after the tummy tuck, that's for sure.

Yes, every so often they go on sale on Amazon for $346 or something, which is hard to say no to.

And yes, like you said, cheaper than the tummy tuck. Still, you have an advantage with the LJ, a big one. The driveline is much longer, which will equate to far less severe driveline angles as I was encountering with my TJ after the tummy tuck, that's for sure.

IIRC you had the mopar front bumper at one point? If so, did you adjust it to fit the AR?

IIRC you had the mopar front bumper at one point? If so, did you adjust it to fit the AR?

Nope, I got rid of it for the Savvy before I had a chance to. However, @LJGreg bought it from me and modified the Mopar front bumper to work with the Antirock. He's got photos in his build thread if I recall.

Looks like most things on the TJ where it may require other work. I’m pretty opposed to extending my front end so it may be time to sell the mopar for some funding toward whatever is next. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/gregs-05-lj-build.13322/page-3#post-331705

I ultimately sold my Mopar because I wanted an Antirock but didn't want to hack the bumper up as much as I needed to in order to make the Antirock fit. With the Savvy it was a bolt on-affair, and it only weighs like 10 lbs or less, which was another added bonus.

There is a guy on AEV Forums offering $1,000 for a front bumper. If you decide to make it fit I can offer any advice. My front was only extended about 2” and doesn’t really affect the approach angle. In fact I don’t even notice it.

I think I got lucky with my Savvy TC shifter install. I went out a little today to test it and dial it in if necessary, but nothing was needed. It shifted perfectly through the ranges, and felt really nice doing it.

You'll love it. I got lucky and found mine on CL for $225. One of the better mods I enjoy.

Jealous of that garage floor....

I did a bit of a marathon this week:

First I painted the new bumper. For the price it’s not bad, however I think I’ll end up buying the Savvy aluminum after the eventual tummy tuck. My painting booth is my front tree:

E172B733-FECD-4C8C-AA40-669FDB236476.jpeg

Once that was ready I went in to removing the old bumper and factory sway bar (now to clean it up for sale):

24E45378-8F22-4F82-A988-D6E36B256BD5.jpeg

Next I checked the fit of the new bumper, got new grade 8 bolts, swapped over the winch, painted my fairlead (waiting to buy a new one until I can also get synthetic), and mounted up the bumper... but found it collided with the end caps on the Antirock. I filed those down a bit and got it all buttoned up (this paragraph is like the yadda yadda from Seinfeld since I didn’t take pics at each phase 🤷🏼‍♂️).

E42B89E1-01CD-4BA9-8C4F-499C23384FAA.jpeg

EF806C95-A075-4732-86EF-5266C822CDD5.jpeg

F85631A8-08B1-4573-B551-C60C8652321A.jpeg

The keen eye will probably notice the AR links are a bit long (even after trimming them 1.5”). Im running out of room on them and the $20/e made the 6.5” links compelling - they’ll be here Monday and this will have to work for the weekend (no play time to avoid killing my fenders).

I got a bit ahead of myself planning for my upcoming trip and decided to suck it up with doing onboard air with the single can ARB. This thing is beefy and high quality feeling. What sold me on it is the CFM, Duty Cycle and “buy once cry once” mentality (I probably should have on the bumper too, but live and learn and I stayed under budget).

That’s now in my ABS tray

7730261D-6B85-4628-A47D-9C907673253E.jpeg

I’d like to find a good way to store the tubing and other airing supplies with it so it’s all together. I’ll probably be on the lookout this week for a box that I can fit in there.

I had to refresh my familiarity with wiring and relays as I didn’t want the ARB to be an obvious passenger. So I am recycling the switch from the lights on the old bumper. I spliced the ARB harness and kept the excess in the box in case I change my mind and want to get showy. However the switch looks nothing like the TJ stock ones and I want to retain the feel (sadly that ship sailed with the previous owner’s installation of this switch below).

420A59D7-8B42-46CC-9333-F861D18F8492.jpeg

image.jpg

I spliced the positive lead in from my CB line for the moment, however I may move it to an ignition wire if I start to forget it’s on ever.

There’s a few necessary follow ups to do:

* Clean/Sell the old Bumper
* I’d like small flood lights - undecided on which.
* My front license plate, which I’ll probably flatten and screw partially obscured by the winch on the bumper lip
* replace the sway bar bolts to avoid another avenue into the frame for water
* air supplies storage
* bring the steering skid over from the old bumper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex01 and tworley
This week I also added some mirrors to be legal when the doors are off (it also looks a little better)

AEF29B7E-5598-48D8-A783-727D4C0E08C2.jpeg

And there are new rear sway links (Zone) on the shelf I need to install this weekend. The rear sway is a bit higher than I believe it should be after the lift, hopefully that’s the last item to address from the lift project.