Rocky Mountain Billy Goat Build

rasband

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
My build will be over a long period, so this thread will be slow. Thanks mods for putting together a good spot to share/document everything!

The starting point is thankfully mostly stock (no need to worry about shotty work):
  • 2006 Rubicon Unlimited
  • 6 Speed Manual
  • 50,000 miles
  • Soft Top (Rampage)
  • Mopar Front Bumper + Fog lamps
  • Rockers
  • Warn Winch
  • Curt Hitch
  • No significant rust
yHNYJH2.jpg

kvjaR0b.jpg

Right away I had to replace the control arms (the bushings were pretty dried out) and shocks (just soft). Since I may lift someday, I just kept stock height.

Added a CB (Uniden Pro 520xl), instead of running straight to the battery I used a splice connector to wire it to the cigarette lighter circuit (since they aren't big draws on power).

bbjvchL.jpg

Mag mount antenna for the interim on the front bumper:

WtUjXDV.jpg

Rally Top (it was supposed to be the split window one, but they shipped the wrong one. They're good people though and refunded the difference and some to make it right).

Jw1IzvB.jpg

Permanent tub mount for my CB antenna. I routed it through the taillight entry, up into the cab via the taillight grommet (needed a small slice in the rubber since I don't have the tools to change the coax end). I got one with two antenna holes since I also have a HAM I may mount in the cab as well. I never expected to not think twice about drilling holes in a car, but I love that jeeps are built for this stuff :D

0sb3sum.jpg

Upcoming work:
  • Paint and seal the tub (inside)
  • Dynamat the floor for noise reduction (primarily for being able to hear my young kids)
  • 1.25" Spring spacers to get the front back up since the winch added some weight (you can see the rake looks a little more substantial than it probably should be)
  • Repaint the winch, since it's losing the coating. I figure I can repack the grease in there too.
  • Stereo update - head unit first, then probably the speakers over time.

Nice clean LJ to start with. I may have some 1.25" spacers you can have. Little bit of use. Let me check and get back to you.

Awesome! I’m not in a rush (it’s my daily driver) so need to find a good budget of time to get them in. I’m guessing it’s not too involved (off to go look at the how to boards)...

I'll bet that wasn't cheap! Looks great though. Does it have a headliner in it?

After the refund for the error and a kicker (ordered the split windows, they sent the single pane) it was $1600 - really not too awful for the quality of life upgrade as the winter approaches. Also my wife will ride in it now :)

It does have a liner, it’s quite nice.

VlFxBzy.jpg

After the refund for the error and a kicker (ordered the split windows, they sent the single pane) it was $1600 - really not too awful for the quality of life upgrade as the winter approaches. Also my wife will ride in it now :)

It does have a liner, it’s quite nice.

View attachment 57025

Considering that's what a used LJ hard top goes for, I would say you made out. Looks awesome too!

Reactions: rasband
Very nice LJ Rubicon, looks to be in great shape. Gotta love that Jeep red color. You find a good one to build to your wishes! Looking forward to reading about your build.

Some creature comforts are incoming in the next week:

* Sony CarPlay/Android Auto double din deck
* 4x Polk DB522
* Polyfill (enough for the dash and bar)
* Dynamat
* CB tuner (SWR meter)

We’ll see how the OEM in Sub performs, but I’m expecting to need to replace that too.

I’ll try to do some dB apps to see if the audio difference is detectable by an app under the same track in a similar location with each relevant change.

Some creature comforts are incoming in the next week:

* Sony CarPlay/Android Auto double din deck
* 4x Polk DB522
* Polyfill (enough for the dash and bar)
* Dynamat
* CB tuner (SWR meter)

We’ll see how the OEM in Sub performs, but I’m expecting to need to replace that too.

I’ll try to do some dB apps to see if the audio difference is detectable by an app under the same track in a similar location with each relevant change.
I had the console out and debated upgrading the sub but didn't. Gotta say the OEM sucks! I have to turn down the base otherwise it sounds like crap.

I had the console out and debated upgrading the sub but didn't. Gotta say the OEM sucks! I have to turn down the base otherwise it sounds like crap.

It’s pretty amazing how for even an upgrade to most OEM car audio - they’re still fairly poor.

I may disconnect that sub entirely and mount something under the seat since the center console isn’t really a good sub box anyway. Granted I see why they did it (space and security).

@rasband, check this thread out: Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

That's what I did with my 2005 Rubicon with the factory subwoofer in the center console.

It absolutely kicks ass. The sound coming out of my Jeep now isn't anything like what you'd expect from a Jeep, and believe it or not, that Kicker sub I put in the center console sounds amazing. I only have it at 5 on the subwoofer volume (it goes to 10) because of how powerful it was when I turned it all the way up!

@rasband, check this thread out: Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

That's what I did with my 2005 Rubicon with the factory subwoofer in the center console.

It absolutely kicks ass. The sound coming out of my Jeep now isn't anything like what you'd expect from a Jeep, and believe it or not, that Kicker sub I put in the center console sounds amazing. I only have it at 5 on the subwoofer volume (it goes to 10) because of how powerful it was when I turned it all the way up!

Thanks for the link, I knew I saw it somewhere but didn’t circle back to find that post!

I’ll add that to the list of tests. I think it’ll be cool to use a similar/same song with a dB reader at the same volume in each iteration:

* New Deck, Stock Speakers, Stock Sub
* New Deck, New Speakers, Stock Sub
* New Deck, New Speakers, New Sub ;) (this one will probably be distorted due to Sub proximity to where I’ll do the readings - driver headrest)

Should be a fun time!

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for the link, I knew I saw it somewhere but didn’t circle back to find that post!

I’ll add that to the list of tests. I think it’ll be cool to use a similar/same song with a dB reader at the same volume in each iteration:

* New Deck, Stock Speakers, Stock Sub
* New Deck, New Speakers, Stock Sub
* New Deck, New Speakers, New Sub ;) (this one will probably be distorted due to Sub proximity to where I’ll do the readings - driver headrest)

Should be a fun time!

That would be cool to see. All I know is that my sound system now sounds 15 times better than stock... it's not even a comparison. I had thought about getting a 5 channel amp to power the other speakers as well, but there is no way I need it.

I can hear my music loud and clear going down the highway at 70 mph with the top off and doors off.