Rocky Mountain Billy Goat Build

That would be cool to see. All I know is that my sound system now sounds 15 times better than stock... it's not even a comparison. I had thought about getting a 5 channel amp to power the other speakers as well, but there is no way I need it.

I can hear my music loud and clear going down the highway at 70 mph with the top off and doors off.

That’s amazing. I was thinking I may too after testing out the result of this starting point. My deck can do 4x20 (55peak) so may not be necessary given your experience.

That’s amazing. I was thinking I may too after testing out the result of this starting point. My deck can do 4x20 (55peak) so may not be necessary given your experience.

I believe my desk is 4x22, so very similar. Definitely a nice upgrade though, some of the best money I've spend on my TJ.

Reactions: rasband
In a TJ i had back in the day i had the factory subwoofer center console and a Jeep accessories sub/tweeter insta trunk combo. Does anyone remember when you could buy that from the dealer? Together it sounded pretty good

My speakers arrived today, 4xPolk DB+522 (with adapters to fit the front). The head unit isn’t here yet, but they sound awful with the stock deck - which isn’t all that surprising.

Getting all installed was simple thanks to Crutchfield including all the relevant brackets/adapters for the install locations and it took maybe 40 minutes.

I stuffed the sound bar with polyfill and mounted the speakers, but found I couldn’t fit either the Polk grills or stock ones easily over the sound bar mounts. Anyone else do the sound bar + speaker covers and it work without modification?

Reactions: Chris and Damazzaro
I got the head unit in, the speaker clarity is much better - but a sub is definitely required.

The mounting bracket for this required a bit of dremmeling to make it work (the bottom of the bracket hits some plastic housing below). It sits a touch off center due to some other plastic structural support for the air pipe (I think).

370d2fb7cba164c6da5137b3501130c9.jpg

I got the head unit in, the speaker clarity is much better - but a sub is definitely required.

The mounting bracket for this required a bit of dremmeling to make it work (the bottom of the bracket hits some plastic housing below). It sits a touch off center due to some other plastic structural support for the air pipe (I think).

View attachment 58557

Looks good that’s the same head unit I’m going to get eventually.

Looks good that’s the same head unit I’m going to get eventually.

So far it’s pretty good, I do think I need a speaker amp though since it only pushes 4x20w and the Jeep speaker mounts are endless cubbies (the polyfill did help the sound bar a little).

Reactions: tomtaylz
So far it’s pretty good, I do think I need a speaker amp though since it only pushes 4x20w and the Jeep speaker mounts are endless cubbies (the polyfill did help the sound bar a little).

Good to know I don’t know much about audio so following your setup there, the interior of my Jeeps has always been deprioritized while I sort out the suspension.

Thanks to @Robb5589 I had spacers to adjust my rake a bit. I didn’t get the angle perfect, but I think you can tell the improvement. I don’t intend to run spacers forever, but it’s a good stop gap until I can get the budget and decide on the lift direction.

Before:

8acf143fa38107ab8455a47ee3ad2f59.jpg

After:

31fb15f15824a5c25a6f210919df94b7.jpg

Are those the Wrangler Kevlar MT/R tires? If so, how do you like them?

Yes they are, unfortunately I’m not experienced with any other tires to speak too intelligently to their performance. They felt pretty planted for me offroad though, and I only went to 25psi (too high for sure, first time out on them though).

Around town they’re pretty noisy, as expected, and don’t seem to be great in snow (if that’s relevant to you), I’ve not run them in much rain yet.

Reactions: Chris
@Chris, I had Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar. I loved them off-road, and fine for daily driving, but considered them almost dangerous in rainy weather.

My Cooper STT Pro’s are equal off-road and superior in every other category.

Reactions: rasband
These speaker baffles/pods arrived today for the dash speakers and I threw them in tonight. So far they seem to help balance the front and rears more, but going to wait to judge until tomorrow on a longer drive.

b4796e6b9dd6eb2206a74aa61cb27f5a.jpg

Hoping to get a Blue Sea Systems fuse block mounted inside the cab this week for some auxiliary components (cleaner CB power being the big one, and probably running a dedicated USB for passenger power).

98d39bacd42680dc647a13fc70dc70af.jpg

@Chris, I had Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar. I loved them off-road, and fine for daily driving, but considered them almost dangerous in rainy weather.

My Cooper STT Pro’s are equal off-road and superior in every other category.

Does the Cooper STT Pro come in a C load rating? I noticed that for 17" wheel size tires, the only one they make in a C rating is the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar.

These speaker baffles/pods arrived today for the dash speakers and I threw them in tonight. So far they seem to help balance the front and rears more, but going to wait to judge until tomorrow on a longer drive.

View attachment 59128

Let me know how you like them and if you feel they were worth it. I was planning on ordering a set myself.

Does the Cooper STT Pro come in a C load rating? I noticed that for 17" wheel size tires, the only one they make in a C rating is the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar.
Oh wow! No, they don’t make the Cooper in a C load for 35x12.5r17. You’d have to go to a 40x13.5r17. I’m sure you eventually will get to that size tire. :)

Reactions: tomtaylz