Rocky Mountain Billy Goat Build

Oh wow! No, they don’t make the Cooper in a C load for 35x12.5r17. You’d have to go to a 40x13.5r17. I’m sure you eventually will get to that size tire. :)

I know, it blows my mind, especially since the JK guys are all running 17s, yet the only one to offer a C load tire is Goodyear? Makes no sense. 40s... haha. At that point it's a dedicated trail rig, I'll say that much.

Let me know how you like them and if you feel they were worth it. I was planning on ordering a set myself.

There’s definitely more discernible balance from the sound bar with these, but I can’t help to think they’d be better with a port in them. Given the cost I’m not going to cut one yet, but definitely plan to research acoustics to see what could be done there.

My verdict is that I’d say that with 5.25” up front these are worth it verses nothing, assuming you can’t use the 80$ better elsewhere.

The audiophile in me is trying to stretch the TJ as far as I can acoustically... Next up is the powered sub that arrived today...

Reactions: bobthetj03
There’s definitely more discernible balance from the sound bar with these, but I can’t help to think they’d be better with a port in them. Given the cost I’m not going to cut one yet, but definitely plan to research acoustics to see what could be done there.

My verdict is that I’d say that with 5.25” up front these are worth it verses nothing, assuming you can’t use the 80$ better elsewhere.

The audiophile in me is trying to stretch the TJ as far as I can acoustically... Next up is the powered sub that arrived today...

I was planning on ditching my 4x6 Polks upfront and replacing them with the 5.25” Polks along with these enclosures. That seems like it would be the best bet.

I was planning on ditching my 4x6 Polks upfront and replacing them with the 5.25” Polks along with these enclosures. That seems like it would be the best bet.

I think the pods on 5.25” are probably better than the open 4”x6”. I noticed before these the soundbar audio was pretty decent, but the fronts were pretty much a non existent piece of the sound stage.

Pretty stoked to get my sub wired up once my new battery terminals arrive.

Reactions: tomtaylz
I think the pods on 5.25” are probably better than the open 4”x6”. I noticed before these the soundbar audio was pretty decent, but the fronts were pretty much a non existent piece of the sound stage.

Pretty stoked to get my sub wired up once my new battery terminals arrive.

Mine sounds amazing the way it is... truly amazing. Going 70 mph down the highway with the top and doors off, I can hear my music loud and clear without any issue. The pods just might be able to get me a little bit more sound out of the system I feel like.

The amp and the Kicker sub in the console are great as well!

Reactions: rasband
Mine sounds amazing the way it is... truly amazing. Going 70 mph down the highway with the top and doors off, I can hear my music loud and clear without any issue. The pods just might be able to get me a little bit more sound out of the system I feel like.

The amp and the Kicker sub in the console are great as well!

If it ain’t broke may apply here then! If the speakers up front sound good and push enough sound, I’d rather save the money on Speakers + pods that replace an already sunk cost.

Reactions: tomtaylz
If it ain’t broke may apply here then! If the speakers up front sound good and push enough sound, I’d rather save the money on Speakers + pods that replace an already sunk cost.

I was thinking the same thing too. I'm not sure if it would be that much better with the pods and the 5.25" speakers, especially considering how good it sounds now. Looks like I may just skip this and save myself the money.

Thanks for an honest opinion though!

I added in the Sound Ordnance B-9PTD a week or so ago to replace the factory sub, it sat right into the space available and sounds pretty good. It definitely kicks for me and I keep it at about 20-25% of the "gain" (the connected dial you can mount under your dash to keep it hidden). It's self powered and enclosed, so it can replace the entire factory wiring and requires an aftermarket deck. Money well spent...

I started to notice a light ticking sound at idle recently, but every time I opened the hood it would disappear. Today it finally was consistent (perhaps the cold) and it seems the infamous OPDA issue has arrived.

I’ve been meaning to order one anyway for this eventuality but was hoping to make it until after the holidays, disappointingly there are none available for Prime.

Does anyone know if there is a reliable way to span the shipping time since this is my DD? Can you open the top and lubricate somehow?

I started to notice a light ticking sound at idle recently, but every time I opened the hood it would disappear. Today it finally was consistent (perhaps the cold) and it seems the infamous OPDA issue has arrived.

I’ve been meaning to order one anyway for this eventuality but was hoping to make it until after the holidays, disappointingly there are none available for Prime.

Does anyone know if there is a reliable way to span the shipping time since this is my DD? Can you open the top and lubricate somehow?

Span the shipping time?

My experience has been the OPDA makes a chirping sound?

Ticking can be the lifters, cracked manifold, or possibly the OPDA, there’s been enough cases where the “barrel of monkeys” (aka chirping) never happens but the ticking is audible and sensational to touch on the OPDA housing.

At the moment I’m guessing but in narrowing the sound and feel, the opda seems to be, at a minimum, worth replacing.

Reactions: JMT
I meant to say a way to make the OPDA last with some driving until the new one arrives.

I don't think there is a way. If you genuinely suspect it might be the OPDA, I wouldn't chance it one bit by driving with it the way it is. If you need a vehicle in the meantime, I'd call Enterprise (done that before myself)!

I don't think there is a way. If you genuinely suspect it might be the OPDA, I wouldn't chance it one bit by driving with it the way it is. If you need a vehicle in the meantime, I'd call Enterprise (done that before myself)!

Fortunately I work from home and it’s a holiday week, so I should be okay! Maybe while she’s parked I’ll finish the front diff and tranny fluid swap, while my neighbors laugh at me working in an apartment complex lot :D

Fortunately I work from home and it’s a holiday week, so I should be okay! Maybe while she’s parked I’ll finish the front diff and tranny fluid swap, while my neighbors laugh at me working in an apartment complex lot :D

Haha! I'm surprised the leasing agents their don't go full Nazi on you. When I used to live in apartments, the leasing agents always would drive by in their golf carts and tell me I couldn't work on my vehicle in the parking lot.

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Starting
Haha! I'm surprised the leasing agents their don't go full Nazi on you. When I used to live in apartments, the leasing agents always would drive by in their golf carts and tell me I couldn't work on my vehicle in the parking lot.

Fortunately we aren’t here much longer, planning to get into a house once our lease expires in February- can’t come soon enough.