Overlanding / Northwest Passage

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
I ran across this while browsing the interwebs for Expedition type routes.

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-185-northwest-passage-nwp.aspx

Thought it might be of interest to some of the members here. This is the type of thing that gets me all revved up about my TJ. 820 miles of backroadsacross three state! Whoohoo! Anyone run this, or parts of this?

Quote from the Bestrest Products web site:
"BestRest Product’s Northwest Passage Adventure Route is an off-road dual-sport motorcycle route that runs from the Puget Sound area of Washington, eastward to Stevens Pass, then north to the eastern side of the Pasayten Wilderness, then eastward along the Canadian border, entering into Idaho around Priest Lake, then eastward into northwestern Montana, where it finally connect with the northern terminus of the Continental Divide Route.

The NWP is normally ridden as loop starting in the Seattle area and returning to the Seattle area, but it can also be a one-way trail. Overall mileage varies depending on the alternates you select. The traditional route runs 607 miles from the Seattle area to the eastern side of Priest Lake, ID. If you continue eastward to the Montana CDR terminus you can add another 211 miles. 70-80 % of the route is gravel or dirt. There are paved sections along the way, but we avoided pavement when possible.

Riding time is 6 days, which includes the return trip to the Puget Sound area. If you're going to the north end of the CDR it will take you 5 days to get there, from Seattle. Riding the NWP in reverse? No problem, just work the itineraries backwards."

If you have other overlanding routes that you run, please share.

Reactions: JP13
"If you wait a few weeks longer you'll find that 4-wheelers have kindly cut all the trees out of your way."

The write up is for bikers but it sounds like 4 wheelers can do it too.
Yup, the site has parts for dual sport bikes. It's nice of them to mention the wheelers clearing trail for them though. Most of the dual sport folks don't seem to go as far back into the pucker brush as the Jeep guys do. That could just be an observation about what I've observed though.

Reactions: Chris
Looks like a blast. One of these days when the kids are older, I'll put this on my to do list!

My kind of trail too. I actually prefer the overland stuff more than I do the hardcore off-road bashing.

My kind of trail too. I actually prefer the overland stuff more than I do the hardcore off-road bashing.
Me too. 99% of what I do is just that sort of off roading, though a lot of the time calling what I'm driving on a road is more of a courtesy than an actual description. Lol Still trying to work out how to go from Molalla to Frank's area. And the run from Carlton to Astoria. I found another run in eastern Oregon that goes from the California border up in to Washington, It's a bit more technical than I'm set up for at the moment. Lots of rocks and two track primitive dirt, some sand. Sagebrush. No support facilities within hours, and no cell service for many, many miles. My kind of country.

I hear ya. Even if we had huge rock areas here (like they do in California and Utah), that's just not my cup of tea really. The overland stuff is more appealing, as is just the notion of 'exploring' in general.