Overlanding questions—basic set up, help me learn from your mistakes

I thought I recognized that trailer! You had come through Beckley, WV a couple years back and I took a pic of your setup at a gas station because I wanted to do something similar. I didn't know you were fairly local that's awesome! Still have the picture. @FireJeep View attachment 186628
Holy crap?! That is awesome! Toofunny! The board on theside is a ramp somy akita can get into the tent

Holy crap?! That is awesome! Toofunny! The board on theside is a ramp somy akita can get into the tent
Very nice, I love your setup! I have a red LJ as well and when I saw you pull in with that trailer I thought no way, that's the kind of overland setup I had been wanting. It's a small world haha.

Very nice, I love your setup! I have a red LJ as well and when I saw you pull in with that trailer I thought no way, that's the kind of overland setup I had been wanting. It's a small world haha.
Lets meet up and do some overlanding!!! I just finished reworking my water heater, I used to have it mounted in a wooden box (that is how it is at the time of your picture). After that trip (we are on our way out to Colorado in your picture) the box proved to be a moldy mess, I had an old 5 gallon jerry can (circa 1968, USMC) that a friend gave me so I mounted it after cutting it open and mounting the water heater inside.
Came out kinda cool, fits with the military theme of the trailer.... photos won't load for some reason.....

IMG_0276.jpeg
IMG_0283.jpeg
IMG_0276.jpeg
IMG_0283.jpeg

Lets meet up and do some overlanding!!! I just finished reworking my water heater, I used to have it mounted in a wooden box (that is how it is at the time of your picture). After that trip (we are on our way out to Colorado in your picture) the box proved to be a moldy mess, I had an old 5 gallon jerry can (circa 1968, USMC) that a friend gave me so I mounted it after cutting it open and mounting the water heater inside.
Came out kinda cool, fits with the military theme of the trailer.... photos won't load for some reason.....

I'd love to! We'll have to figure out some logistics sometime. I dig the military theme, I like stylish and creative solutions like that. After being in the Corps myself I've seen those cans used for much more than fuel haha. I figured you guys were traveling, but I didn't think as far as CO. Good choice! One of my coworkers is there now photographing the Pikes Peak Hill Climbs and I'm pretty jealous.

Reactions: FireJeep
Joined in '09. 0331 machinegunner because I was young, dumb and wanted to be a badass haha. Ended up with a medsep, got out and went to college.

My TJ loved my 6x8 jumping jacks. Well engineered and tough. Best fit for this big guy. Super versatile too. Check them out. Cool family owned company.

I just added an on demand water heater (Eccotemp L5) to our trailer and it's been great ... and HOT! Great for dishes and showering. This is also our first year with a porta-potty (Dometic 972). Very easy to use, dump, clean, etc. and best of all, odour free.

I really like your use of a jerry can for your water heater; practical and it suits the look of your trailer. 👍 I store ours inside the trailer and erect it when we arrive - takes about 2 minutes.

20-06-26 1.JPG

We have a Port-A-Potty brand pooper and it too is easy to use, dump, and unless I use it, odor free....🤪

Did you build your trailer, lets see some better pics of your rig, from what I can tell it looks great!!!!

We have a Port-A-Potty brand pooper and it too is easy to use, dump, and unless I use it, odor free....🤪

Did you build your trailer, lets see some better pics of your rig, from what I can tell it looks great!!!!

LOL! My wife tried to "blame" me but I would have none of it.

I have 2 trailers on the road and another one on the way. None are complete - always lots to do on each one. In order of the pics below ... tear drop (modified Clipper Express) that's pretty much finished, expedition trailer that that I've just "sort of" finished and will be building a clam shell RTT for this winter (I hope) and my fibreglass trailer (1986 Cadet) that I'm building a tougher frame for and will then modify the body to suit.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Wife is now looking hard at Aliner hard side pop up trailers. Worried about the weight, but the low profile should help with wind and sway. Models we are looking at are 1500lbs up to 1800lbs not leaving much for cargo. All have trailer brakes. Thoughts?

aliner.com

I like this one, but its pushing 1800lbs dry.

1598914187021.png

Reactions: PCO6
Wife is now looking hard at Aliner hard side pop up trailers. Worried about the weight, but the low profile should help with wind and sway. Models we are looking at are 1500lbs up to 1800lbs not leaving much for cargo. All have trailer brakes. Thoughts?

aliner.com

I like this one, but its pushing 1800lbs dry.

View attachment 187256

That guy has done a lot of "neat" work on that. (y) Look up "Slim Potato Head" on YouTube who had an Aliner for a long time. Not saying it's the best one but he spent a lot of time traveling around with it.

A good thing about an Aliner, apart from good interior space, is that when it's collapsed for traveling, you can put kayaks, bikes or ? on the lid.

That guy has done a lot of "neat" work on that. (y) Look up "Slim Potato Head" on YouTube who had an Aliner for a long time. Not saying it's the best one but he spent a lot of time traveling around with it.

A good thing about an Aliner, apart from good interior space, is that when it's collapsed for traveling, you can put kayaks, bikes or ? on the lid.

That is a stock new 2021 unit, from the factory. It comes in at 1800#s, so would have to bring way less beer, and use leaves for toilet paper to be under 2000#. No way I could add anything to the roof and be under tow cap.

That is a stock new 2021 unit, from the factory. It comes in at 1800#s, so would have to bring way less beer, and use leaves for toilet paper to be under 2000#. No way I could add anything to the roof and be under tow cap.

WOW!!! They've really stepped things up a notch. I can see that that model would be a fair bit heavier. There are a lot of old Aliners out there and I wonder if something similar could be built with a little less heft. Those pop-ups would really increase the interior space which is already pretty good.