Overlanding questions—basic set up, help me learn from your mistakes

WOW!!! They've really stepped things up a notch. I can see that that model would be a fair bit heavier. There are a lot of old Aliners out there and I wonder if something similar could be built with a little less heft. Those pop-ups would really increase the interior space which is already pretty good.

I think we are going to look at a Aliner Classic base model at 1590#’s and See if they will let us test tow it. The Titanium model I posted a photo of is the “off-road” model and has some additional weight from the tires, wheels, axle, and the pop up dormers. I think we could make due with a 1600# camper and gear and be right under 2k. I’d add t a trailer brake controller and a sway control hitch before ever hitting the highway.

Going to look at this one. 1750 lbs actual shipping weight. Wont be able to tow it with the water tank full, but leaves room for cooler and camping chair, and some basic gear if we keep it light. If we need to take more shit, I alway have the truck or my wifes Jeep. Or toss some stuff in a buddies rig.

Thoughts on this? Would you buy a 1750 lb camper and try to tow it?

I plan to get a brake controller and an anti sway device if we buy it.

1599085193522.png

Not with a TJ. Maybe not with an LJ. 1750 is dry weight. The weight adds up quick with coolers, etc etc. I have towed light loads with my TJ but only locally. I think if you are towing long distance you really want a lot of extra towing capacity to be comfortable. I have towed my TJ and my LJ with my truck but was no where near capacity and that was comfortable.

It's very close and doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room, I'm presuming that the stated weight doesn't include a gas bottle or the like too.

You'll definitely need a brake controller.

Going to look at this one. 1750 lbs actual shipping weight. Wont be able to tow it with the water tank full, but leaves room for cooler and camping chair, and some basic gear if we keep it light. If we need to take more shit, I alway have the truck or my wifes Jeep. Or toss some stuff in a buddies rig.

View attachment 187689

N
Not with a TJ. Maybe not with an LJ. 1750 is dry weight. The weight adds up quick with coolers, etc etc. I have towed light loads with my TJ but only locally. I think if you are towing long distance you really want a lot of extra towing capacity to be comfortable. I have towed my TJ and my LJ with my truck but was no where near capacity and that was comfortable.

Not dry weight, shipping weight.

It's very close and doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room, I'm presuming that the stated weight doesn't include a gas bottle or the like too.

You'll definitely need a brake controller.

Yeah, not including gas, and battery. Trailer has brakes, I would add a controller, and anti sway device. Tongue weight is 175lbs.

Whatever you get, make sure you take the time to fully set it up. 10% tongue weight, electric trailer brakes with a pedal-activated trailer brake controller, maybe even a weight distribution hitch or sway bar, etc. For stability, make the trailer tongue as long as possible and the hitch ball to rear axle distance as short as possible. (A common way to get stability while not compromising off road is an adjustable length tongue for the trailer.)

On board the vehicle, you can do a few things to increase the trailer stability. Airbags in the rear coils will help stiffen the rear and restore sag due to tongue weight. Adjustable shocks and stiffer sway bars may also help to a degree.

Be sure to read through this thread to see why you should exceed the towing capacity and tow without any safety devices:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/why-you-shouldnt-tow-a-mobile-home-with-your-tj.19961/

View attachment 187689
I almost rented one of those unsightly campers for a trip to Arizona a few years ago. It was a no-go as it was too heavy to safely tow with my TJ.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/tro/d/chula-vista-jeep-rubicon-extreme-tent/7190541956.html
This one might interest you. Lite weight meets some of your requirements.

Extremely Rare - Jeep Rubicon Mopar Extreme Tent Trailer Off-Road Camper - Sleeps 3
Lightweight Tubular-Aluminum Construction, No Wood or Fiberboard - Steel Skid Plate, Fenders, 35" Tires - Clean as New Condition
*** Includes: Additional New “Extra” Jeep Tent Canvas, Refrigerator, Deep Cycle Battery, 1K Watt Inverter, 8" Queen Size Memory Foam Mattress, Bike Racks - Trailer Stored inside Garage
Text: (619) Nine54- Six87Seven

It’s kind of crazy right now seems most everything is hard to get and back ordered out in the west anyway, I see a lot of things popping up in other parts of the country everyone out west is going camping. I’m looking for something to drag off road that being 6’4” I won’t be miserable out in the Arizona desert for a few nights in and be able to keep enough food cold if I can find a suitable unit with a 3 way fridge and a few other basics ideally with an inside kitchen, the titanium 10 is one meets most requirements the micro lite looks nice also and has the advantage of being a cargo trailer too. https://microlitetrailer.com/ and there’s a bunch more all with crazy prices, I think in a year or two the classifieds are going to be flooded with trailers and RV’s for sale?

Reactions: bobthetj03
We had fun with this little guy for a few years.
20150509_173622.jpg

480 lbs. dry. It was basically a bed on wheels, but it also had some storage, and you could stand up in it to change.
20150523_155428.jpg

20150530_092256.jpg

So, went to check out the Aliner Friday a seven hour round trip. Came home empty handed. I was completely unimpressed with the materials and the build quality for $18,000. I think I now have my wife convinced that a small trailer that ticks all the boxes for her while still being realistic to tow with the TJ just doesn’t exist.
Now she’s looking at truck bed campers for our Ram 1500, we could flat tow or trailer the Jeep. Or a Class C coach that could flat tow or trailer the Jeep. Looks like we might be selling a big boat next year too. More to come.

Recommend you all take a look at Lance campers. I have had one for 10 years, extremely happy with it. I have a RAM 2500 and i run Air bags, Bilstein shocks and larger tires and that made a huge difference in the ride. With out the air bags and quality shocks and larger tires it rod like crap. Lance is a Made in U.S.A. product also. Photo is my rig with my first jeep.

IMG_0544.JPG

Reactions: AMS417
So, went to check out the Aliner Friday a seven hour round trip. Came home empty handed. I was completely unimpressed with the materials and the build quality for $18,000. I think I now have my wife convinced that a small trailer that ticks all the boxes for her while still being realistic to tow with the TJ just doesn’t exist.
Now she’s looking at truck bed campers for our Ram 1500, we could flat tow or trailer the Jeep. Or a Class C coach that could flat tow or trailer the Jeep. Looks like we might be selling a big boat next year too. More to come.

That's exactly what we ended up doing. You have more options since you own a truck.
20170918_132045.jpg

I think you will be extremely disappointed with a slide in camper and towing a Jeep with a 1500 series truck.

Why? The payload max for the truck is 1800# and the towing max is 11,000#. Its a 2019 4x4 Hemi crew cab. The campers I am looking at are 1100-1200#. Jeep is 4100# and would be flat towed with a tow bar. I tow a 10,000# boat with it since new. It pulls great. Tongue weight on the boat is near the camper weight. What am I missing?

What camper quickly spirals out of hand and soon you'll have a Class A flat towing the TJ.

I had issues with quality when looking at a lot of commercial campers. For me most seem to be put together with rubbish materials and held together with staples and silicone.

Have you looked at lightweight teardrop options? A lot are put together by people who actually care about the product and are towable by your TJ. Yes, you'll not get a shower etc.. however you may be surprised at how luxurious they can be. Lots of manufacturers in the US.

What camper quickly spirals out of hand and soon you'll have a Class A flat towing the TJ.

I had issues with quality when looking at a lot of commercial campers. For me most seem to be put together with rubbish materials and held together with staples and silicone.

Have you looked at lightweight teardrop options? A lot are put together by people who actually care about the product and are towable by your TJ. Yes, you'll not get a shower etc.. however you may be surprised at how luxurious they can be. Lots of manufacturers in the US.

Yeah I kind of feel like my wife wanted a class c or something like it from the start. Like normal we meet in the middle and do what she wants. I’ve put my foot down here and won’t buy anything she won’t drive. I’m fine with a teardrop or a bed in a box type camper. She wants a vacation home on wheels. Her birthday is this weekend. I’m not buying her a camper for her birthday.

We will keep looking and see what happens. Season is almost over here anyway. Lots of cheap camper coming up for sale soon.

Reactions: LarryTJ
Depending upon your budget, you could get a full travel trailer. If you use a gooseneck or 5th wheel setup, you can easily triple tow (pull the TJ behind the trailer) depending upon state laws. Though you’ll want a 3/4 or 1 ton for the trailer.

There are probably even some toy haulers that would fit a lifted TJ.