Overlanding questions—basic set up, help me learn from your mistakes

Depending upon your budget, you could get a full travel trailer. If you use a gooseneck or 5th wheel setup, you can easily triple tow (pull the TJ behind the trailer) depending upon state laws. Though you’ll want a 3/4 or 1 ton for the trailer.

There are probably even some toy haulers that would fit a lifted TJ.

I don’t want a 3/4 or heavier truck. I like mine, it’s a year old and paid off. I have no desire to triple tow either. Looks worse than overloading a TJ. I don’t need a huge camper. Just more than I can drag with the TJ. She started looking at class c rigs because she saw one dragging Jeep. It could be an options but the maintenance, insurance, and taxes would be a bear. I think a light weight truck camper would be a good option. Under 12-1300# would leave me room for gear and flat towing the Jeep adds almost no weight to the truck. I’m seeing new ones for $12-15k used for less.

Also considering selling the TJ and buying an LJ or a JL.

To the OP, what kind of camping do you have in Missouri? I only ask because while overlanding out west looks amazing, you’d be hard pressed to find a campsite in Ohio or surrounding areas that isn’t a heavily trafficked, black topped RV parking lot full of drunks and loud music. Not hating on it but not exactly a peaceful retreat into the wilderness with the kids either. Even though we love camping, we often Airbnb a cabin instead as it cuts down on most of the packing, prep, and is usually more remote. Plus leaves more time for exploring. Just my 2 cents.

To the OP, what kind of camping do you have in Missouri? I only ask because while overlanding out west looks amazing, you’d be hard pressed to find a campsite in Ohio or surrounding areas that isn’t a heavily trafficked, black topped RV parking lot full of drunks and loud music. Not hating on it but not exactly a peaceful retreat into the wilderness with the kids either. Even though we love camping, we often Airbnb a cabin instead as it cuts down on most of the packing, prep, and is usually more remote. Plus leaves more time for exploring. Just my 2 cents.

If you look into the Ozarks we have a lot of very diverse terrain. Rolling hills and deep valleys, lakes, rivers, lots of full service camping areas and basic off grid opportunities. Further south in Arkansas it gets even better. Many of the area off road parks have camping too. Many with amenities like shower houses and electric hook up.

Out in Pennsylvania and West Virginia there are a lot of areas worth stopping by that are much more spread out. If you're willing to go without potable water and toilet access, there are a lot of spread out sites in the state forests, and even in the games lands. Many you will need 4WD to do it, though most can be done in a full size truck.

There's also a lot of good backpacking opportunities in Appalachia.

You really aren't going to find a lot of real overlanding out here. Most of the paths are shallow mud, dirt, or gravel, stuff that won't require giant tires and lockers.

Last edited:
My wife wants a trailer to help us have a more comfortable time camping. I like camping less than she does so it will be a compromise. I am 6'3" and 300lbs on a good day. Not fit, but not just fat, I still get around. I know a little about a lot and can probably build something better suited for me than I can buy based on what I am seeing. A RTT is probably out of the question, due to weight (mine and the RTT). I want to stay under 1500lbs loaded. My Jeep is slow enough already with a hard top and steel bumpers. That eliminates about anything I can sleep inside of as a "camper". Leaving us with a trailer set up to support a ground tent. This might not even get off the ground but I am looking at some options and opinions.

Some questions I have:

I have a Body Armor rear bumper with hitch insert. It is not tow rated per the manual I have from 2005 when it was installed, and I assume that is because it is sold as an "offroad" only part. It is heavy steel (3/16 I think) and has frame tie ins on the side. I don't think I will have any issues pulling 1000 - 1500lbs if I keep the tongue weight low, say under 150lbs. I need input here. What do you think?

I will upgrade my brakes, or add brakes to the trailer. I have 33's and stock brakes now. What would I need to be safe?

Here are some thoughts on what I want in the trailer.We would not be remote camping more than 1-2 nights at a time.

Water tank and pump 12-20 gals.

Portable toilet, had one on a boat a while back. Not to bad to use and maintain.

12v system to run water pump, lights and accessories.

Dometic or similar cooler. Have many normal coolers too. Maybe dometic is not needed.

Inverter / charger for battery.

2000w quite generator, probably a Honda or knock off to run AC and charge battery as needed. Solar is cool, but not practical for high demand AC.

Portable AC (I already have it and use it for tent camping, its humid here, and I don't like to be hot when I sleep)

Propane hot water shower, onboard propane system.

Storage tote for kitchen items would double as a basin, no sink needed.

I want a really nice tent, with underlayment for camping on rocks.

Separate air mattresses. The weight different between me and the wife makes it rough.

Storage space for awning or something to provide shade and sitting area, camp chair and misc.

Cook stove and grill.

Removable tables to attach to the trailer. I will build and design so they fit inside when stored.

Looking at small light trailers like these:

View attachment 182928

Or this one:

View attachment 182929

Give me some feedback. What am I missing? What am I assuming that is going to bit me in the ass? I want small and light. Not seriously off road capable, but the ability to ford a small creek and handle some abuse would be good. Not going rock crawling with this trailer. I can modify and increase ride height pretty easily. Just need a light weight base to build out. Looking at spending $5-6k all in. More if needed.
Hey boss, we recently got a teardrop, 1925# dry, you're not into that, but I can identify with your search for some other items.

We want hot water. I am looking to purchase the Joolca, not only for an external shower, but also to run the cold water into and out of to go through the teardrop to the onboard sink.

For an awning, we have one on the side of our teardrop, but for our whole family, we got the Eurmax. It is a little heavy, but it is very sturdy, and the white cover keeps it cool underneath.

For cooler, the teardrop came with a Norcold 45-F. I absolutely love this thing. For comparison, I have a Yeti 125. It's huge. I like it, but I don't love it. You still have to deal with ice. As the week goes on and food disappears, the air space gets so large that ice melts off quicker. Food sometimes gets ruined. I'm tired of ice. I'm looking at this Dometic. Not cheap, but awesome.

There are several camp kitchen setups that would probably fit the bill, or give you ideas since you are thinking about building one. They are pretty cheap though, so I'd just buy one.

Hope some of this helps. And I hope you grow to love camping out as much as your wife. Most of us love it more than our wives and would love to be in your shoes. With the right amenities, you'll both be on the same page.

A pic of our Luna Rover, which is totally boss
F8B9B132-1AA4-4DE0-8879-7472407935C3.jpeg

Going to look at this one. 1750 lbs actual shipping weight. Wont be able to tow it with the water tank full, but leaves room for cooler and camping chair, and some basic gear if we keep it light. If we need to take more shit, I alway have the truck or my wifes Jeep. Or toss some stuff in a buddies rig.

Thoughts on this? Would you buy a 1750 lb camper and try to tow it?

I plan to get a brake controller and an anti sway device if we buy it.

View attachment 187689
I was thinking you may like an Aliner. At 1750# dry, you might get away with towing it. I'm actually going to try to tow my 1925#, but I have to get set up, like you, with the trailer brake stuff on my TJ and anti-sway.

Reactions: AMS417
I need to get here to look at more stuff, when more stuff is available. Tough time for RV's right now. Low supply and high demand due to Covid. I think we could get by with a well equipped small pop up. Or a bed in a box (teardrop) type set up. If she likes it, and wants to upgrade in a couple years we could. She's realizing our options are few and costly. We save a lot of our income, this would impact that. She wants new, I want gently used. She wants hard sides, ac, etc, I just don't want to sleep in a tent on the ground and to be able to bring a chair and a cooler full of beer. I'll keep looking. One benefit of the truck camper is the TJ would be towed, so if it breaks, not really a big deal. As long as it still rolls.

I don’t want a 3/4 or heavier truck. I like mine, it’s a year old and paid off. I have no desire to triple tow either. Looks worse than overloading a TJ. I don’t need a huge camper. Just more than I can drag with the TJ. She started looking at class c rigs because she saw one dragging Jeep. It could be an options but the maintenance, insurance, and taxes would be a bear. I think a light weight truck camper would be a good option. Under 12-1300# would leave me room for gear and flat towing the Jeep adds almost no weight to the truck. I’m seeing new ones for $12-15k used for less.

Also considering selling the TJ and buying an LJ or a JL.

@ac_ might be able to chime in on this, if he's willing. Keep in mind, an RV will give you a tax break as a second home. Also keep in mind, Class C's have smaller holding tanks, so anything more than a week without hook ups can be challenging.

Reactions: AMS417
A little Aliner Scout Lite with the off road package popped up on Craig’s list in my town that had enough of what I needed so I bought it. Time will tell if this was a good choice but a new Ranger 10 off road is 18k locally not including tax and I agree with you just seems to much money for what you get, but everything is sky high. Price wound up being right on this one at 8k it’s a 2017 not used very much, has air and a few other things, but very basic. I’m 6’4” plenty of headroom (for those who have not been in one), the bed is just big enough and most important towed easy I really couldn’t feel it behind the Jeep driving 55 on the freeway (1200#) and I can see over the top of the trailer in my rear view mirror. Theres not much extra room fitting it into the single side of my garage the width is tight the length no problem although any time I need to get at stuff on that side in cabinets I‘ll need to move it out so I ordered a cheep electric trailer dolly to do the job hopefully shouldn’t be too much of a hassle.
24BBEEDB-D861-407A-93C2-4553ECE25869.jpeg

Reactions: Mr. Bills and Daz7
Nice score, looks like the perfect size. I looked at a Rockwood 1640ESP pop up camper tonight. Its new 2021 model, and was $14k. Still not ready to buy these things depreciate super hard, and the market is high right now. I am keeping my eyes open, we have a camping trip in two weeks, unless I find a deal it will be in the tent.

Need to buy a hitch carrier for my front bumper too. Last weekend in the mountains the Jeep was full without camping gear. Rear tire is in the way, but I have a receiver in my front bumper.

Reactions: 1515art
Nice score, looks like the perfect size. I looked at a Rockwood 1640ESP pop up camper tonight. Its new 2021 model, and was $14k. Still not ready to buy these things depreciate super hard, and the market is high right now. I am keeping my eyes open, we have a camping trip in two weeks, unless I find a deal it will be in the tent.

Need to buy a hitch carrier for my front bumper too. Last weekend in the mountains the Jeep was full without camping gear. Rear tire is in the way, but I have a receiver in my front bumper.
Thanks, and at least if I don’t like it I‘ll get most of my money back.

I looked at the Rockwood thanks for the tip, that’s an almost perfect set-up, I looked for that type funny none of my google searches ever hit on that model, must not be at the top of google’s list. Nice rig, it’d be good on the trail and make the wife happy at the same time, win win... well, except for the collateral damage to the ol-wallet, lol.

Thanks, and at least if I don’t like it I‘ll get most of my money back.

I looked at the Rockwood thanks for the tip, that’s an almost perfect set-up, I looked for that type funny none of my google searches ever hit on that model, must not be at the top of google’s list. Nice rig, it’d be good on the trail and make the wife happy at the same time, win win... well, except for the collateral damage to the ol-wallet, lol.

Honestly I really liked the 1640ESP but it's a bit too heavy at 1800# dry and the beds are smaller than I want. The "offroad" model is 300# heavier than the standard campers, and I don't plan to take it into the bush. These things are not designed to be beaten on. All the offroad kit includes is a flipped or raised axle and larger (235/75R15) tires, other than that same construction. Looking at a Flagstaff Mac 206LTD or a Jayco Sport 10. Both around 1500# dry. After seeing the 1640ESP in person the wife gave it the nod. No rush, cash in hand waiting on a used or discounted new unit to pop up. Still need to get my controller ordered and installed. Jeeps is in the shop getting 4.88 gears now. That should help with the hills.

Reactions: 1515art
Good luck on whatever you get. lower gears will help towing, I believe on anything a little over 2000#’s it’s not about the pulling biggest concern is sway and stopping and then more of a cya between 2k and 3k #’s if careful it works in most cases although anything happens even if not your fault gets your ass handed to you in a basked If the insurance company and lawyers find a crack, basically not worth the risk. I was towing my boat one day pre-Jeep following a guy hauling a large cargo trailer merging from one freeway to another, soon as he got out of the curve the trailed didn’t and the dance began. The whole shebang used 3 lanes and a 1/2 mile of freeway almost going over several times before coming to a stop, not enough Tide extra strength short scrubber In the world to get that stain out.