Oxidized Aluminum Wheels

Upstater

Any suggestions for removing oxidation from aluminum rims? I don't think I want to sand blast them. New tires just installed.
20170603_193805.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Canyons are clear coated so you will need to remove it and get down to bare aluminium. There are youtube vids on how to do it but most paint/stain strippers will work. That oxidation is pretty bad. Have you considered painting or powder coating?

Reactions: StG58
I removed the clear coat with Aircraft remover. That was a pain. I hadn't considered painting

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you've got the clear off, good, old fashioned elbow grease and some wet / dry sandpaper will get the pitting out. Follow up with some metal polish like Chris posted. I've done it before to a couple of sets of wheels...Its not fun, takes a long time, but the results are great.

Reactions: Upstater
Lol. Used this on brass in the Army in 1972.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It works really well for it's intended purpose.

That stuff on your wheels is bad though, I think I would try a buffer with some fine grit sand paper and aggressive aluminum polish.

Just remembered I have a photo set of when I repaired the wheels on my boat trailer...Its a good refresher, as my Moab's need this treatment too! This is the before. My trailer has 4, one I had to replace, the other 3 looked like this.

upload_2017-6-4_0-38-48.png

I used aircraft stripper as well...

upload_2017-6-4_0-39-22.png

After the stripper has done its thing...

upload_2017-6-4_0-39-53.png

A close up of the pitting that needs removal.

upload_2017-6-4_0-40-25.png

Next pic is after scrubbing. I used a scotch brite pad, as I didn't care to get every little nick and dig out. Get a spray bottle and mix a couple drops of dish soap in to help with lubrication.
upload_2017-6-4_0-42-20.png

Finally my polishing steps. Cheap polishing kit from home depot that mounts in my drill and a mother's powerball to finish.

upload_2017-6-4_0-43-24.png

upload_2017-6-4_0-43-45.png

The products...
upload_2017-6-4_0-44-6.png

upload_2017-6-4_0-37-45.png

I've done several wheels for my Jeeps and trailers. For ones that are going to be painted I generally sandblast them but if you don't have the equipment 3M Scotch Brite paint and rust remover sanding discs are very good.
upload_2017-6-4_7-40-8.png

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Really wish I had saw this thread before I attempted to strip 5 aluminum wheels of their clear coat using a plastic spudger and brake cleaner. Wish I had remember aircraft stripper was a thing. Oh well hahaha