Oxidized paint?

DropTopDon

TJ Enthusiast
I have small spots like these scattered across the paint of my LJ. Is it oxidized paint? It doesn’t wipe off during cleans and the texture feels coarser than the rest of the paint. Is there anyway I can fix this?

You can try various snake oils but the bottom line is the paint is old and weather beaten. You have to decide to live with it or spend 10K on a nice paint job

Reactions: John Cooper
Take a DA buffer with various cutting/polishing compounds and get it the best as you can, then decide if you can live with it. If the clear coat is checked or cracked it is too far gone for remediation. Below is a severe example but any spots that look like that are shot.
1659622642448.png

You can try various snake oils but the bottom line is the paint is old and weather beaten. You have to decide to live with it or spend 10K on a nice paint job

10 grand🤑 is that really what it cost these days??

I have small spots like these scattered across the paint of my LJ. Is it oxidized paint? It doesn’t wipe off during cleans and the texture feels coarser than the rest of the paint. Is there anyway I can fix this?
View attachment 348169

I’m no pro, but have you tried any basic “paint correction”? Meaning a compounding wax and polish?

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Take a DA buffer with various cutting/polishing compounds and get it the best as you can, then decide if you can live with it. If the clear coat is checked or cracked it is too far gone for remediation. Below is a severe example but any spots that look like that are shot.
View attachment 348173

My hood looks like that and I've decided that I just have to live with it. I wish the previous owner cared for it a little better but at least I don't have to be out there polishing and waxing it. From what I can tell, it's not worth the price to have it repainted.

Its hard to tell exactly what is wrong from the short video. Until you try compound and polish on an area to see if it can be corrected you won't know the answer.

Reactions: JMT and SSTJ
If it's just a paint job with no rust or major dents and you want it done correctly and nice looking yes 10K is the number

That's crazy. I haven't had anything painted for many yrs. $3500 for an F150 25 yrs ago. I'm pretty decent with a hvlp from 20 yrs bathtub refinishing maybe I give it a stab in a yr or two.

Reactions: John Cooper
That's crazy. I haven't had anything painted for many yrs. $3500 for an F150 25 yrs ago. I'm pretty decent with a hvlp from 20 yrs bathtub refinishing maybe I give it a stab in a yr or two.

just the cost of paint and materials is probably $2K, then you have to factor in a bunch of hours of skilled labor, overhead, profit etc..

Try this first. If the paint is too far gone, get some color matched 3M vinyl and wrap it. I'm going to do my hood cowl and windshield frame (gloss flame red) when the temps are below 90. I did carbon fiber on my old $750 car's hood and it's held up for 3 years. Cost me $30.
1659634618210.png

Hyundai hood (4).jpg

Hyundai hood new2 (2).jpg

Hyundai hood new.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: williambmac and JMT
just the cost of paint and materials is probably $2K, then you have to factor in a bunch of hours of skilled labor, overhead, profit etc..

That's crazy. 1 gallon of urethane and half gallon of primer half gallon of clear.
I remember when a one gallon kit of ppg dp40 primer was $165, dupont imron urethane was $225 a gallon and a gallon of decent clear was around $150.
Jeep in good condition should be around 15 hrs labor.
That's pretty healthy profit. I'm not saying they don't deserve and I get the cost of buisness since I've operated an industrial coatings buisness for 30 yrs. At $10000.00 that is definitely not bad profit margins if you pay your prepper $20hr and your finisher $30hr. Good for them.

That's crazy. 1 gallon of urethane and half gallon of primer half gallon of clear.
I remember when a one gallon kit of ppg dp40 primer was $165, dupont imron urethane was $225 a gallon and a gallon of decent clear was around $150.
That's pretty healthy profit. I'm not saying they don't deserve and I get the cost of buisness since I've operated an industrial coatings buisness for 30 yrs. At $10000.00 that is definitely not bad profit margins if you pay your prepper $20hr and your finisher $30hr. Good for them.

You have to pay the body guy as well..the cost will vary for every jeep. If a guy is happy blasting the mud off, taping everything and scotch Brite and shoot he could probably do it for less...but no reputable shop is going to do that...you might find a local guy that works out of his garage but even he is going to want 10k to do it right..

10K isn't that much money guys

Reactions: Hopper
You have to pay the body guy as well..the cost will vary for every jeep. If a guy is happy blasting the mud off, taping everything and scotch Brite and shoot he could probably do it for less...but no reputable shop is going to do that...you might find a local guy that works out of his garage but even he is going to want 10k to do it right..

10K isn't that much money guys

Oh I'm not doubting it. 10k just took me back a bit. 10k ain't alot for some things but more than I had expected for a TJ. It is what it is as they say.

Find better looking panels in a JY?

my hood just got thrashed by hail and now I am looking for a decent hood (black) and front fenders.

late 90s (really 99) early 2000s paint sucks ass. Some companies experimented with more environmentally friendly paints and clear coats and now they all look like hell. Seems most TJs did ok but grands look like shit! Way worse.

there is no way there is 15 hours labor prepping a jeep. Removing all the flares, bumpers, door handles etc. 15 hours would not be enough time to sand and prep the surface. People working costco are making $20/hr here starting, a quality prep and finish guy has to be making more.

Reactions: P man