Oxidized paint?

PPG..Two part primer qt Base qt and lots of clear. The inside was done with Rino Liner. The guy at the paint store said a quart would work and it did.

KIMG1047[1250].JPG

Is there anyway I can fix this?
Don't sit on it. If it's just slightly rough you can buff it out and then use ceramic coat to protect the paint. If you let it go it will start to crack like the picture @cliffish posted, at that point it is terminal. The part needs to be taken down to bare metal, primed and painted. Most of the time it is cheaper to just buy new panels once it cracks. If I could turn back the clock I would have spent much more effort early on protecting the paint. If you have cracks it's done, if you don't I'd even spray clear on it now if buffing isn't enough. Anything to protect the color coat from cracking. It'll save you a massive amount of labor at the end of the day keeping those lower layers intact.

there is no way there is 15 hours labor prepping a jeep. Removing all the flares, bumpers, door handles etc. 15 hours would not be enough time to sand and prep the surface. People working costco are making $20/hr here starting, a quality prep and finish guy has to be making more.

The 15 hr was my guess. A recommendation from a buddy of mine that has ran the repair that includes re paints at Atlanta Toyota which has a pretty decent reputation in the area. I have no way to confirm since I don't refinish automobiles. Here is what he said
Day One
3hrs to disassemble and wash.
3 hrs to sand (no repairs)
Day 2
2hr Solvent wash and 1st prime
30 min infrared heat
1hr sand and tack
1hr 2nd prime
30 min infrared heat
Day 3
1hr light sand tack coat
30 min body coat
30 min wet coat
30 min infrared heat.
2hrs clear coat.
2hrs reassemble
Day 4
2hr buff
I was off 4hrs or so. Of course not all jobs go as planned and could take longer or shorter. These would be professional refinishers I would think a DIY could double that time if done the same way. Again I don't refinish automobiles but do have a Finishmasters account where I by primers, gun parts...... out of curiosity I had them package price enough primer, color coat and clear to do my Jeep this morning $1098.00
Delton PPG $350 a gallon 😵‍💫

The 15 hr was my guess. A recommendation from a buddy of mine that has ran the repair that includes re paints at Atlanta Toyota which has a pretty decent reputation in the area. I have no way to confirm since I don't refinish automobiles. Here is what he said
Day One
3hrs to disassemble and wash.
3 hrs to sand (no repairs)
Day 2
2hr Solvent wash and 1st prime
30 min infrared heat
1hr sand and tack
1hr 2nd prime
30 min infrared heat
Day 3
1hr light sand tack coat
30 min body coat
30 min wet coat
30 min infrared heat.
2hrs clear coat.
2hrs reassemble
Day 4
2hr buff
I was off 4hrs or so. Of course not all jobs go as planned and could take longer or shorter. These would be professional refinishers I would think a DIY could double that time if done the same way. Again I don't refinish automobiles but do have a Finishmasters account where I by primers, gun parts...... out of curiosity I had them package price enough primer, color coat and clear to do my Jeep this morning $1098.00
Delton PPG $350 a gallon 😵‍💫

well he knows more than me. But I am also in lower NY = getting bent over in high prices, overhead and taxes...

Reactions: williambmac
well he knows more than me. But I am also in lower NY = getting bent over in high prices, overhead and taxes...

If I ran a shop and could get it. ALL DAY LONG. I wouldn't consider it getting bent. High cost of living High cost of goods and services. 👍

Yes you can wet sand and buff most of it out likely. Don’t expect perfection and remember higher gloss from buffing also generally shows more faults. The better you get it, the better you need to get it.

Did you use rustoleum?

I did. Tremclad actually. Tremclad is owned by Rustoleum and is more common in Canada. Back in high school and college we used to paint our cars and other projects with Tremclad which is a single stage enamel. I progressed to Dupont Centari which is an acrylic enamel but I'm pretty sure it's not available any more. I stopped painting cars about the time when Dupont Imron with isocyanates came out as it was too dangerous for most hobbyists.

Anyway, 40 years later I decided to live in the past. Tremclad is still Tremclad (Rustoleum too) and the only difference is that I have a modern gun. I used to shoot with a good quality DeVillbiss syphon gun but now it's with a bottom end HVLP gun from Princess Auto (like Harbor Freight). No complaints, it works fine.

So far so good ... and I'm doing it out doors, just like back in high school. 😊

20-09-25 2.JPG

20-11-19 6.JPG