P0016 (cam / crank correlation) and P0344 (camshaft postion sensor intermittent)

I have a 2005 Rocky Mountain Edition with a 4.0L & 6spd. I've been getting P0016 and p0344. I changed the camshaft sensor twice now I had trouble initially getting a mopar sensor but i have a new mopar one in there now and still getting the codes. The p0344 only activates if its cool outside or I go over 4000 rpm than will not clear until i disconnect battery or clear the code. Anyone else experience this? I was thinking maybe timing is off on my odpa or my actual camshaft from the sensor being changed i'm not sure.

Have you pulled your OPDA to looks at the camshaft?
Do you have an aftermarket tune/tuner?

I had this happen exactly once but, since I really wasn't watching for it, I didn't notice the conditions that set it. It was cold outside (for us, about 0*c) though. I'm hoping that it will be like my ex-wife and just go away. I am watching for it now, though.

Pulling my OPDA is my next step, to look at the cam gear. IIRC, someone else had a tuner and tune on their rig, removed the tune, voila!, no more problem. My next thought is to start messing with the timing. You know, rotating the OPDA a few degrees CW or CCW at a time to see if the problem persists. I can't recall how right now but, someone else actually spaced their sensor farther away. I think they used some thin, very thin, sheet metal or brass. Like only a few thousandths thick.

Now that I'm on a roll... Another thought is that I might be perusing these other avenues because my OPDA has already been replaced by the PO (with a Dorman not the recommended Crown). Is yours stock?

Copied this from the Wrangler Forum:

The P0016 means the cam position sensor (CMP) is out of sync with the crankshaft position sensor (CKP). If you have not done anything involving moving the OPDA which houses the CMP then you need to pull the OPDA as it may have excessive gear wear causing it to retard the “timing” of the CMP. If that gear breaks you will have BIG problems! The OPDAs are known to have issues involving the shaft binding causing gear wear & some actual failures mostly on ’05 & ‘06s. Search “laughing monkey” or go to this OPDA info thread & read the first page.

As dbbd1 says, pull the OPDA and check the gearing, easiest thing to do first. P0344 code is more than likely a sync issue not an intermittent loss of signal as the code states, but it is worth checking the wiring and spraying out the connectors with some contact cleaner.

I'm going to pull the opda looks like someone tried to open the cap and stripped the torx bolts previous so that'll be fun. I'm upgrading to the crown whenever it arrives from shipping after research I think that's it. I just hope my camshaft is okay. I'll keep you guys updated.

You should use the original cam position sensor if you still have it. All new sensors, including OEM have a tendency to throw codes when cold. A worn OPDA and/or cam can also cause the same codes. And finally if the OPDA is not set correctly for timing, the same codes can be thrown.

So the most reliable recipe for fixing it is to replace the OPDA before the cam is ruined. Use the original sensor. Set the timing correctly per the FSM (NOT trial & error).

Others sometimes claim success with new sensors but that seems to be very hit or (mostly) miss, especially when the ambient temperature gets down around freezing or below.

I had the same problem. I could not get the old sensor out of my old OPDA without breaking it.

I tried at least 3 new sensors that all threw codes when cold including at least 1 new Mopar OEM sensor. I then found a used OPDA on eBay with an original sensor (in Israel!). I bought that, swapped the old sensor into my new OPDA and no more codes.

YMMV.

In my experience, the newer sensors work fine when they are warm enough. In cold weather with any newer sensor, mine would start up and immediately go into limp mode. If I let it run for a few minutes then restart it, no more limp mode. The CEL would still be lit but as long as the engine was warm, the sensor worked OK and it ran OK until it got cold again.

Lots of issues with the OPDA and new cam sensor? Makes me glad I have 99 before the electronics. Would make me half inclined to hit a junkyard pull the ECM, harness, distributor and coil. Throw out the cam and crank sensors and hit the road. Of course it's probably not that simple, especially if you have a TCM also.

But you could hit a junkyard and get an OEM cam sensor if you continue to have problems with the new ones.

But you could hit a junkyard and get an OEM cam sensor

Exactly!

Not really lots of issues. Just need to replace the OPDA, install an original sensor, and set the timing correctly. DONE!

Not really difficult or expensive to resolve. As long as you replace the OPDA early enough, the source of frustration generally stems from trying to use new sensors or not setting the timing correctly or both.

The most unfortunate aspect of the whole thing is that few if any of the new sensors seem to be made to the same specs as the originals. There must have been an error on a spec sheet or something that results in the new sensors being made to incorrect specs. Maybe some of the new sensors work but I couldn't find any that didn't cause codes to be thrown when cold.