P0016 Error Code / OPDA Replacement

Junk Basket

Lots of threads on here about replacing the OPDA, and the P0016 error code. I'm not sure if my problem is any different. I don't want to stay focused on the OPDA if it could be another problem causing the P0016 error code ie timing chain, engine sludge....

I have a relatively new to me 2006 TJ Unlimted at ~102k miles. The 1st time I received the code the engine didn't seem to be running right. I stepped on the gas hard, hit over 4000 RPMs and the engine temporarily shut down and CEL came on. It ran fine to my destination I just didn't accelerate hard. Error code was P0016. I changed the oil since I was remote, only option. Engine ran ok, only took 5 quarts of oil which is weird since I read it has 6 quarts capacity. Not sure if that is common? I was able to drive home no issue no CEL. 1st thing I did once home was change out the OPDA with a crown unit, kept the original sensor. Install went well. Engine fired up no CEL. I let it warm up, drove it around no CEL. I decided since I work remote and in rough terrain might as well gun it close to the house and see what happens. CEL came on as soon as it hit 4500 RPMs (P0016) but engine did not shutter or go into limp mode. I was devastated the Jeep was running smooth and peppy like when I 1st purchased it. I swapped the cam shaft sensor for the crown, CEL(P0016) came on before even hitting operating temp. I went back to original sensor and let it warm up and idle and no CEL. Not sure what I should try next replacing cam shaft & crank shaft sensors? Is my camshaft toasted?

20201113_100144.jpg

20201113_100139.jpg

20201113_100132.jpg

Slight wear on my original OPDA, I couldn't see the camshaft very well when I was replacing the OPDA.

I have been fighting this problem for a the last 4 years. I think it's time to replace the cam shaft. You should try to aim your phones camera down the whole where the opda goes and snap a few pictures of the gear on the cam.

Got it into a Jeep mechanic. Camshaft is all good. They realigned the sensor, and found that the sensor connection was dirty. Jeep runs fine now no CEL. They almost thought the sensor was bad, now if I can find an Mopar sensor for a backup.

So glad for the update 👍
So many threads just end without being much help for the next guy trying to figure out his same problem. Thanx.🍻

Well to update this post, not a happy ending after all. Hit a bump and the whole P0016 error code popped up again. Found a mopar sensor, and this time was no tricking it to clear the CEL. Took her back to the shop and sure enough the cam shaft was toast. Had a brand new cam shaft installed. The shop was unable to use the new Crown OPDA I purchased, but had a Mopar one laying around. Started running the Jeep and with in 2,000 miles the "laughing monkeys" started squealing out of my OPDA found laying around the shop. So... Took it back got another brand new Mopar OPDA installed. I was told this was the "last Mopar OPDA" on any shelf. Hopefully I'm good for another 100k miles.

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
Just curious...before you went the nuclear option with the new camshaft did you try replacing the crank sensor and/or checking to make sure the timing was at top dead center?

Just curious...before you went the nuclear option with the new camshaft did you try replacing the crank sensor and/or checking to make sure the timing was at top dead center?
Yes, the crank sensor was checked and timing was redone on its first shop visit.

Any MOPAR OPDA has the same faulty design with a sealed bushing.
The Crown OPDA I had installed on the orginal crankshaft made unusual sounds with the new camshaft. That is what I was told from the shop. It had less than 3 to 4 thousand miles. I haven't cared to reinstall it, to see for myself. I now have a stack of worn Mopar OPDAs and a barely used Crown. Honestly if the Mopar makes it another 100k or at least 50k I'll be happy.

Any MOPAR OPDA has the same faulty design with a sealed bushing.
The Crown OPDA I had installed on the orginal crankshaft made unusual sounds with the new camshaft. That is what I was told from the shop. It had less than 3 to 4 thousand miles. I haven't cared to reinstall it, to see for myself. I now have a stack of worn Mopar OPDAs and a barely used Crown. Honestly if the Mopar makes it another 100k or at least 50k I'll be happy.

I seem to be at the start of this chain of events. Did your shop give any indication of WHAT was wrong with the camshaft they replaced?