p0032, p0038, p0052, & p0058 codes

flyingt1954

My TJ has a check engine light been on for a while I have changed all for oxygen sensors several sensors on the throttlebody checked all the wiring but can’t find out why my engine light keeps coming on over and over and over The codes that keep coming up are p0032 p0038 p0052 p0058 I have change the sensor is twice the same for codes keep coming back I have check for bad wiring nothing

I wound up changing all of mine one at a time over a short period with mopar sensors, codes returned because my pre cats were melted a bit. Had a shop replace the pre cats and that combined with the new sensors solved my problem and no more codes. Did you replace with aftermarket or mopar? The jeep electronics are picky over factory parts.

Yes the only ones I ever use it will be NGK is I was warned a long time ago not to use Bosch I don’t want to take it into a shop but sounds like from what you just said maybe I should look at my pre-cats and see if they have gone away thanks for your reply

I'd be looking at the pre-cats. It's not uncommon for them to go bad on our later model TJs and cause all of these issues. Happened on my 2005.

A bad precat or two is what caused all my false bad O2 sensor indications. Replacing both of them cured all my check engine codes and occasional misfires. One of my precats ended up completely failing and dumped its elements out and they blew downstream into the main cat which completely plugged it. The cat plugged so suddenly I went from 70 mph to a max of 3-5 mph within a couple hundred yards on the highway.

Like said above too, make sure to only use NTK O2 sensors. Bosch O2 sensors are known to cause problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ and 1515art
My TJ has a check engine light been on for a while I have changed all for oxygen sensors several sensors on the throttlebody checked all the wiring but can’t find out why my engine light keeps coming on over and over and over The codes that keep coming up are p0032 p0038 p0052 p0058 I have change the sensor is twice the same for codes keep coming back I have check for bad wiring nothing

A bad precat or two is what caused all my false bad O2 sensor indications. Replacing both of them cured all my check engine codes and occasional misfires. One of my precats ended up completely failing and dumped its elements out and they blew downstream into the main cat which completely plugged it. The cat plugged so suddenly I went from 70 mph to a max of 3-5 mph within a couple hundred yards on the highway.

Like said above too, make sure to only use NTK O2 sensors. Bosch O2 sensors are known to cause problems.

Since the summer of 2014 I have had these same four error codes appear each and every summer. By the time September rolls around the codes go away until the following June.

All O2 sensors were swapped, and I had a dealership and two Indys look at the problem. The conclusion was a bad PCM, but again, I dont know a good Jeep mechanic around my neck of the woods.

A clogged cat is a possibility. Is there any method to test for a clogged pre-cat without removing the pipes? Or is it best to remove the exhaust system?

Two weeks ago I left a message about all four oxygen sensors ,changed all four but kept getting the same for codes for the heater circuit on all of them could not figure out why the coach kept coming back over and over and over finally I got tired of it and took it to the dealer and they found out that the PCM went bad so they put a new computer and so far knock on wood I have not got them back,,,, the PCM parts and labor was 1013 .68 not bad For making a headache go away

Two weeks ago I left a message about all four oxygen sensors ,changed all four but kept getting the same for codes for the heater circuit on all of them could not figure out why the coach kept coming back over and over and over finally I got tired of it and took it to the dealer and they found out that the PCM went bad so they put a new computer and so far knock on wood I have not got them back,,,, the PCM parts and labor was $1013.68 not bad For making a headache go away

Sometimes this happens and it ends up being the PCM, in which case it can be hard to track down.

I'm glad they got it figured out. Your problems should all be gone now and I wouldn't expect those codes to come back anytime soon.

Now you can enjoy your TJ again!

Reactions: flyingt1954
Two weeks ago I left a message about all four oxygen sensors ,changed all four but kept getting the same for codes for the heater circuit on all of them could not figure out why the coach kept coming back over and over and over finally I got tired of it and took it to the dealer and they found out that the PCM went bad so they put a new computer and so far knock on wood I have not got them back,,,, the PCM parts and labor was 1013 .68 not bad For making a headache go away
Did you get any other codes? I've had the 32/38/52/58 for the past year? Then last week, it died on me going 50mph, now have codes 0121/0123/2074. I'm thinking my PCM is bad too from all the research I have done. Did they give you a core charge on that too?

No core charge. Since they change the PCM there has been no other codes to come up on my check engine light I have about 300 miles since I’ve change the PCM been good ever sense ,Don’t know what the other codes are that you have that I could look them up be back later

ok, thanks! So I still don't have my o2 sensor codes back, just the p0108, p0118 and p0123. going to change the CPS sensor and see if this makes it go away!

Reactions: Chris
Let us know if the CPS sensor fixes it. Be sure to use an OE Mopar CPS sensor or you'll have issues (guaranteed).

Reactions: Leinhit
I just got all these today, I don’t know that the OP is still around but if one were to do all the sensors (NTK) what cat system would they use? The premium option on rock auto is Bosal for <$300 (and I don’t live in CA). Would that be a good option?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I just got all these today, I don’t know that the OP is still around but if one were to do all the sensors (NTK) what cat system would they use? The premium option on rock auto is Bosal for <$300 (and I don’t live in CA). Would that be a good option?

Bosal, Eastern Catalytic, Magnaflow, and Walker are all good brands. I used Eastern Catalytic.

Bosal, Eastern Catalytic, Magnaflow, and Walker are all good brands. I used Eastern Catalytic.

The bosal on rock auto seems too cheap, any idea why it would be <$300? Is it just CA/NY requirements vs more sane states?

2005 Jeep TJ- P0138, P0161, P0052, P0032.

I've been reading up on these codes and getting a lot of different opinions (whether its pre-cat related, O2 sensor related, or PCM related). All codes happened at once after the jeep idled/drove sluggish out of my neighborhood. Turned it off/back on and drove fine. Codes still there- Any ideas? I've religiously replaced the O2 sensors as those CEL come on with NTK sensors.

2005 Jeep TJ- P0138, P0161, P0052, P0032.

I've been reading up on these codes and getting a lot of different opinions (whether its pre-cat related, O2 sensor related, or PCM related). All codes happened at once after the jeep idled/drove sluggish out of my neighborhood. Turned it off/back on and drove fine. Codes still there- Any ideas? I've religiously replaced the O2 sensors as those CEL come on with NTK sensors.

Any chance that you have clogged cat, or possibly a bad ground wires. I would look into those two items first.