P0300 code and rough idle on 2005 2.4 4-cylinder

AnakinMc

Howdy been diving through the forum and was looking for some advice. Just bought a TJ In a great shape it spent its whole 115,000 mile life in a Arizona Garage and is in amazing shape. Cars been well maintained mechanically and I have every service record for it. I drove the car back to Colorado no problem drove great. After sitting on it for a month and driving it around i have found a few issues I want to address. Firstly, I have had the car throw up P0300 twice about a month in between and now the light has been off again for about a week. First time it popped up I changed the spark plugs that were not gapped and over tightened no issue for about a month, then popped up again same code turned off hasn’t come back. Every time the car has thrown up the code it has been symptomless. So trying to be proactive and looking for any advice. Secondly, I have a tad bit off a rough idle not always but for the most part it’s around, Goes away in gear and if I give it some gas. I cleaned out the throttle body and sensor and it relived some of the rough idle but not all. Lastly a bit of knock when turning left, can’t really pin point the sound but most likely front left tire or back. Doesn’t actually seem like ball joints and does not have a lot of play. Just looking for some advice been diving through the forum im going to attach a vid to of the rough idle thank you.

When you get a CEL with p0300
I promise you it's definitely not... symptomless....as you called it.

You just can't feel or see any symptoms.

P0300 is the worst code. Bad because it's not helping with localizing the issue. It's just pointing to all cylinders you've got random misfire(s).

The good....P0300 usually means the vehicle can still be driven but you definitely want to get this checked immediately.

Get a scan tool that shows real time data. Start with your o2 sensor and watch it's behavior

Good luck.

Reactions: RMETeeJay and Chris
Any scan tool recommendations?
You're not in business so one that is cheap....but just Mahe sure it shows you real time data.

There are plenty of "code readers" out there but you can't see the PIDs (parameter ID's)...

You need to see real time data.
O2 sensors, MAF, MAP, Fuel Trims, Temperature, barometric pressure, ambient temp...and so on.

You near an advanced auto, Zone/ O'Reilly? They have one cheap that will show you real time data.

I bet they have just a dongle now that you can use your smart phone to see everything with blue tooth

Awesome yeah I’m close to one I’ll pick one up and move forward. The reason I threw out the word symptomless is because most of the threads I found about P0300 was accompanied by some sort of symptom.