P0300, P0301, P0320, and P1294 diagnostic codes

MOTOcity

so its registration renewal time for me and my boo failed I/M test and these are the codes it threw

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detec-
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detect-
P0320 Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed input
P1294 (No description)

My local mechanic says that replacing distributor and spark plugs wll fix first 3 codes
and
P1294 is not a factor in passing or failing test

is this true or no? he didnt do anykind of diagnostic on my TJ - only looked at the trouble codes

My local mechanic says that replacing distributor and spark plugs wll fix first 3 codes
and
P1294 is not a factor in passing or failing test

is this true or no? he didnt do anykind of diagnostic on my TJ - only looked at the trouble codes
I'd be surprised if replacing the spark plugs and/or the distributor cap and rotor fixed them unless they are worn out. How old are all of those?

If they still look good I'd lean more towards a bad crankshaft position sensor.

There is a procedure in the FSM to rule out the crankshaft position sensor. Your mechanic should do that first and rule it out.

I'd be surprised if replacing the spark plugs and/or the distributor cap and rotor fixed them unless they are worn out. How old are all of those?

If they still look good I'd lean more towards a bad crankshaft position sensor.
Not sure how old these are. I’m going to assume they are older than they should be

:::UPDATE:::

Installed new sparkplugs and wires and cleared P0300, P0301, P0320. i reset check engine light and drove 30+ miles and the light comes back on and only throws P1294.

i replaced throttle position sensor and reset the check engine light again. Fingers crossed and hope that light does not come back.

Reactions: TDB55
Another update

still throwing P1294 this time it just says Target idle not reached. Yesterday same code just told me to replacethrottle position sensor.
Any suggestions? If the throttle position sensor fixed it is there’s some sort of drive cycle I need to go through for the light to turn off automatically?

New spark plugs and wires for 2 days. Stills throws code for misfire in cylinder 1. Will a bad ignition coil do this? Can someone tell me where this is located? Autozone says they can test it.

:::UPDATE::::

Removed the ignition coil and had it tested at autozone. Clerk there seemed like he didnt know what he was doing and told me it tested fine. I purchased the coil at 54.99 anyway and to my amazement it fixed the misfire in cylinder 1 and passed I/M. My boo sounds like it starting much better now.

so in all i replaced sparkplugs, wires, throttle position sensor, distributor and ignition coil

Last edited: