P0301 code after new spark plugs

PhillyJake

TJ Enthusiast
Hi Friends - got a little thing happening. Two nights ago I replaced both downstream o2 sensors (PO used Bosch, I swapped them for NGKs) b/c I was throwing a P0161 code. Took less than 15 minutes and it was humming: No more CEL, running a little smoother, like a brand new 04 Rubicon w/ 180,000 miles.

Today I did the spark plugs (Autolites up and down), and then fired it up. Tick, tick tick...not sure what that constant, rhythmic ticking is, but I assumed it was the fan shroud since it's loose. Shut her down and then did a Sea Foam treatment into the throttle body until it smoked. Shut her down, let her sit, fired her back up...the ticking is back. I took her out for a spin, CEL light on, and now I'm chasing a P0131 code.

I looked through this thread on the dreaded code, but naturally, nothing quite lined up with my personal and unique experience. So, a couple questions:
  • this started after the spark plugs, but before the sea foam, so I'm assuming I did something wrong with the spark plugs (it was my first time doing spark plugs) - perhaps my cylinder one spark plug is bad out of the box? Or I need to adjust the gap?
  • I'm assuming "cylinder one" refers to the frist spark plug at the front of the jeep - rather than the firing order...is that right?
  • As a novice mechanic, I'd like to be able to tackle this on my own, but I also don't want to, I don't know, blow up the Jeep
Open to ideas, or at least, first steps on what I should try first before I panic-call my mechanic. Thanks in advance!

Which autolites did you use?
X2, exactly what model plug did you install?
I did a little digging through the forum and decided to get these from Amazon: Autolite XP985-4PK Iridium XP Spark Plug
sparkplugs.jpgshould I have used something else?
Check your work
Be sure the coil is properly seated on the plugs and that the springs are in the boots. An arc will tic.
This was a suspicion of mine...I wonder if I seated the plugs improperly. I didn't cross-thread anything, but I'll have to go back and check that everything is connected and contacting the way it's supposed to be. Is there anything specifical I should be looking for? I appreciate the coil guidance but want to make sure I'm thinking in the right direction: the coil is the single rail component that runs across the plugs and bolts over top of them, correct? And I didn't realize there are supposed to be springs in the boots? I'll see if I can find a picture to understand what that should look like, but if anyone has a pic laying around they can post, that would be awesome.

My spidey sense is telling me that either I mucked up the reinstall, or may have inadvertently misplaced a piece - which is just another way to say that I mucked things up. Either way, I'll dive back in tomorrow to gauge how bad I mucked. Hope I didn't install a plug upside down...

Thanks, all, for the time and guidance - it is why I love this forum, this community, and my Jeep!

Ok so here’s what I’ve found so far: all springs seem to be in the plug boots, so I think we’re good there. I took all the plugs out, cleaned them, checked the gap (0.35”), and replaced them, hand tightening them down. I switch plug 1 with plug 6 (in sequence from front to back).

No evidence on any of the plugs of cross threading, but I can only hand tighten plug 1 (first at front of Jeep) approx 2 turns before it sticks - all the others (incl swapped 6 at firewall) went all the way down. I gave it a few turns with the wrench then pulled it back out. Threads appear ok. I also cleaned out a fair amount of rust flakes from the plug hole with a small shop vac.

Question: I’m wondering if I should tighten down the plug or if it’s too much of a risk of cross threading this puppy. Thoughts?

Fixed! I think.

Spent a couple hours going back through my work and meticulously redoing it…much to my wife’s displeasure.

I swapped the first and lay plugs but was still having trouble hand tightening the first plug. So I went out and got a spark plug thread chaser and cleaned out the first plug hole. Then I slowly reinstalled the rail and made sure all the boots were seated correctly. Despite paying close attention, I still missed two boots that I only saw after I was getting ready to bolt down the rail. Finally, with everything installed, I fired the old girl up and she seems to be running smoothly!

Moral of the story: take your time and do it right the first time so you don’t have to do it a second time.

Reactions: tr21triton
P0131 is an O2 Sensor code and P0301 is a Cyl 1 miss. Your title says 0301 and in the body of message says 0131???
see the problem here is I can't type and have no attention to detail.

Hence the root of my problem throwing codes: I went back and it turns out my work was shoddy, the rail wasn't installed correctly, and I needed to tighten things down.

Moral of the story: check your work. And can somebody check my work?

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
see the problem here is I can't type and have no attention to detail.

Hence the root of my problem throwing codes: I went back and it turns out my work was shoddy, the rail wasn't installed correctly, and I needed to tighten things down.

Moral of the story: check your work. And can somebody check my work?
i like this guy