P0302 and P0305 cylinder misfires

amadrig2

I have a 2003 Jeep wrangler Sport, 6 Cylinder motor. Ive had it for around 5 years, at about 140,000 miles today!

Huge problem, yet to find a solution! Keep getting codes p0302, p0305.

- Ive replaced the spark plugs, no results.
- I replaced the coil pack, with a new one from the dealership, no results.
- I replaced spark plug wires, no results.
- I Replaced fuel injectors, no results.
- Ive done a compression test, and it works fine.
- I've Replaced the Cam and crank Sensor, no results.
- I tried RepairingECM, they told me it was fine.
- I replaced the ECM, programed it and still no results.
- I recently Replaced all the wiring harness, Still no results.

I have to constantly be resetting my ECM to make it work. it works fine for 2-3 days, then the same misfire in the same cylinders every single time.

i place a tester in the wiring tips and there is no signal being sent to cylinder 2 and 5. Once i reset the ECM, signal is restored to those 2 cylinders for the next day or so before it mis fires again. But I've tested the wiring, even went as far as recently installing new wiring harness and still the same problem. Don't know what to do anymore, out of options. Even removed the catalytic Converters to see if anything would happen, and nothing. Ive even bought insulators for injectors 2 and 5, but still no results.

Please help, don't know what to do anymore, its been going on for over a year. Gone through 6 mechanics, several thousand dollars, and no answer. Everything is practically new on it. Its misfired while the motor being cold, and its misfired while the motor running. The longest its lasted without mis firing is 4 days. Its as if something happeneds to the jeep, and the ECM cuts the signal to cylinder 2 and 5 for some odd reason. Never been another cylinder but those 2, switched out spark plugs, injectors and it remains in those 2 cylinders. someone please help!

How did you replace spark plug wires? Your Jeep has coil packs and therefore no spark plug wires.

Did you test or replace the coil packs? What spark plugs did you put in it and what were they gapped too?

I was getting the same codes on my 97. I read in one of these forums to change the upstream O2 sensor. The O2 sensor sometimes gives a false misfire code. Just be sure to use a NTK/NGK O2 sensor. The other brands don't work in our Jeeps.

I have a 2003 Jeep wrangler Sport, 6 Cylinder motor. Ive had it for around 5 years, at about 140,000 miles today!

Huge problem, yet to find a solution! Keep getting codes p0302, p0305.

- Ive replaced the spark plugs, no results.
- I replaced the coil pack, with a new one from the dealership, no results.
- I replaced spark plug wires, no results.
- I Replaced fuel injectors, no results.
- Ive done a compression test, and it works fine.
- I've Replaced the Cam and crank Sensor, no results.
- I tried RepairingECM, they told me it was fine.
- I replaced the ECM, programed it and still no results.
- I recently Replaced all the wiring harness, Still no results.

I have to constantly be resetting my ECM to make it work. it works fine for 2-3 days, then the same misfire in the same cylinders every single time.

i place a tester in the wiring tips and there is no signal being sent to cylinder 2 and 5. Once i reset the ECM, signal is restored to those 2 cylinders for the next day or so before it mis fires again. But I've tested the wiring, even went as far as recently installing new wiring harness and still the same problem. Don't know what to do anymore, out of options. Even removed the catalytic Converters to see if anything would happen, and nothing. Ive even bought insulators for injectors 2 and 5, but still no results.

Please help, don't know what to do anymore, its been going on for over a year. Gone through 6 mechanics, several thousand dollars, and no answer. Everything is practically new on it. Its misfired while the motor being cold, and its misfired while the motor running. The longest its lasted without mis firing is 4 days. Its as if something happeneds to the jeep, and the ECM cuts the signal to cylinder 2 and 5 for some odd reason. Never been another cylinder but those 2, switched out spark plugs, injectors and it remains in those 2 cylinders. someone please help!
I hate to tell you bud, but I don’t have a clue what could be the cause either and I’m pretty sure no one on this forum knows either, no offense meant. I’ve had the same exact issues as you are describing with the exception that my misfire is on cylinder one. I disconnect negative battery cable for a bit, long enough for the code to clear, and it runs fine until the misfire on cylinder one happens again. I also replaced coil pack, spark plugs twice, ecm, all throttle body sensors, and crankshaft positioning sensor. I think that’s all I did. Still no definitive fix. As I said, the same as you I have to unplug battery for the ecm to reset for it to run fine. I don’t know what else I could possibly do and as I said I don’t think anyone knows. I honestly think, even though I know someone will disagree with me on this, that the 4.0 Jeep motor is crap!

Two things could be your problem. The first is check your O2 sensor. The second is there was a tsb that your valve springs could be weak and need to be replaced. I was having the same problem until I changed my up stream O2 sensor. Good luck!

Reactions: Rusty Rivets
Two things could be your problem. The first is check your O2 sensor. The second is there was a tsb that your valve springs could be weak and need to be replaced. I was having the same problem until I changed my up stream O2 sensor. Good luck!
Out of curiousity, how was your upstream o2 sensor the culprit???

I had read in one of the forums that when the O2 sensor goes bad, that the code that is given is a misfire sometimes. I think @Jerry Bransford had discussed this subject at one time. I was having all the same problems you were having. I changed my upstream O2 sensor and I haven’t had a problem since.

I had read in one of the forums that when the O2 sensor goes bad, that the code that is given is a misfire sometimes. I think @Jerry Bransford had discussed this subject at one time. I was having all the same problems you were having. I changed my upstream O2 sensor and I haven’t had a problem since.
What are you referring to as the upstream sensors?? I’m under my Jeep now and I think I’m seeing four sensors on the exhaust system

What are you referring to as the upstream sensors?? I’m under my Jeep now and I think I’m seeing four sensors on the exhaust system
Upstream O2 sensors are located above the pre-cats, the downstream O2 sensors are below the pre-cats. If you decide to replace them make sure to only go with NTK or NGK. Avoid using Bosch O2 sensors in Jeeps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rusty Rivets
Upstream O2 sensors are located above the pre-cats, the downstream O2 sensors are below the pre-cats. If you decide to replace them make sure to only go with NTK or NGK. Avoid using Bosch O2 sensors in Jeeps.
Thanks @Jerry Bransford, I found some on rock auto website for about $20-$30 a sensor. Should I change them even if I’m not getting a code for it?

Did the misfires occur under any specific speed or driving conditions? Highway, etc

I didn't see valve springs on your list. Maybe they're floating.

Or did the O2 sensor fix the issue?