P0304: cylinder 4 misfire

Welcome to the forum, great looking TJ, love the gold. Great advise above and like others stated if you start having to replace sensors check on here first for suggestions. OEM are really what these engines love.
Thank you! It's actually gray oddly enough Haha. But definitely enjoying the wealth of info here!

Alright. Even more confused now. Started it up, CEL on, plugged in the new OBDII reader (worked fine in my Mitsubishi), it wouldnt read. Just said connecting and wouldnt scan. Turned it off and back on trying to get the scanner to read, and now the engine light is off and it may just be placebo but it seemed like the idle at vibration was mostly gone.

I thought I would have to manually reset the computer or unplug the battery for the CEL to turn off... gonna take it to Autozone for another scan from their expensive scanner.

Any ideas? Maybe the injectors are cleaning out with the fresh fuel?

Update: woke up this morning after a longggg night. Ubered home so had to drop my friend off at her car. Decided to take the jeep, it's like a new car all of a sudden. Hesitation to rev is gone, no misfires I could hear, drove a lot smoother. Still thinking of getting injectors cleaned, still going to swap plugs, is it possible that the fresh gas is just slowly cleaning the injectors? Not sure if it is a heat soak issue or what.

Maybe time for a fuel treatment and run it for a couple hundred miles?

I was having a rough idle/multiple cylinder misfirings, also wouldn't rev over 3k rpm after warm-up. Replaced plugs, exhaust (all but headers), ran seafoam, etc. Currently chasing the possibility that it's a faulty fuel pump, so I have a new pump in my tank, but waiting to put the tank back in till I can take care of those nasty shock bolts.

It is possible you just had a little bit of crud and the fresh fuel (maybe better quality?) helped break it up.

It's back. Going to pick up all my tools from my parents and get to work the weekend after next. Starting with spark plugs and injectors, then diving a bit deeper. I'll edit this post with video/audio of the exhaust if it helps.

Spark plug #4 - ChampionRC12500 (I think!)

20190522_205020.jpg

Plugs 1-6 (1 being closest to the front bumper) these things are filthy. Swapped in the Autolite XP985 recommended by Jerry. Fired it up, no audible misfire compared to the video I took Monday. Cleared codes, taking the dog for a walk then going to start it and run a misfire test with Torque Pro. Obviously the plugs were old as shit but what do y'all think?

1558576444755687557296299804447.jpg

Went for a late night cruise, about 15 miles, no CEL and no audible misfires. Fingers crossed Jerry is as much of a TJ Guru as everyone says!

My wife's 1997 TJ is also experiencing issues - triggering code P0304 (cyl 4 misfire). Initially, I thought maybe plug or wire, so I replaced all plugs and cables, but the issue persists. Engine seems fine when idling, but as soon as I drive it, it begins to run rough, then engine turns off when I am coming to a stop. I also replaced distributor cap and rotor with plugs and cables. Again, issue persists. I've researched and read it could be a broken head gasket, piston rings, and a couple other issues, but I am not familiar with how to properly identify the steps to troubleshoot the misfire.

Can anyone provide me with guidance? I do appreciate it in advance.

Thank you.

My wife's 1997 TJ is also experiencing issues - triggering code P0304 (cyl 4 misfire). Initially, I thought maybe plug or wire, so I replaced all plugs and cables, but the issue persists. Engine seems fine when idling, but as soon as I drive it, it begins to run rough, then engine turns off when I am coming to a stop. I also replaced distributor cap and rotor with plugs and cables. Again, issue persists. I've researched and read it could be a broken head gasket, piston rings, and a couple other issues, but I am not familiar with how to properly identify the steps to troubleshoot the misfire.

Can anyone provide me with guidance? I do appreciate it in advance.

Thank you.
I had a cyl 3 misfire, went nuts attempting to diagnose.
Finally on a whim ordered a Mopar distributor cap and that fixed the misfire. Something about the Mopar parts that just work better..

I’ve been having the same code pop up. Engine seems to be running good tho. I did receive a multiple cylinder random misfire code as well. Since I’ve been replacing everything else, could it be a sensor or even electrical? I’ve been thinking it’s about time to replace the wiring harness on my 2006 Jeep Wrangler rubicon with the 4.0. Maybe the computer is going bad? It got replaced about three or four years ago by the dealership. Worst 2k I ever spent!

Hi guys! New member to this forum, but old timer Jeep owner (had a JK, then a JL, and now a TJ!) - having same Cylinder 4 misfire code. I'll be replacing the spark plugs over the weekend. Just wanted to drop by and say hi to keep track of this thread!