P0334 and P0016 codes (at a loss)

lulzpwndyah

TJ Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

I have a wretched 2005 Wrangler TJ SE with the 4.0 and an auto transmission and a @Wranglerfix PCM
It has a new Jasper engine installed about 500 miles ago- It ran fine for the first 400 miles and after has been a nightmare. The first code it shot after the engine was replaced is P0334 this was along with limp mode. I took it back to the shop they said it was a lose connection for the cam sensor, They tightened it up and said it was all clear they drove it like 5 miles to test. I picked it up today on my way home I got a P0016 and limp mode again. I called them up and they're thinking it might be the PCM I got from WranglerFix. I tried my old PCM and the usual culprits for all 4 O2 sensors came up in CEL. I drove it for about 10 miles and within those 10 miles I got P0334.

They're telling me it's a PCM and will try to get one from a dealer...they said they know they might be discontinued but will try to find one. Now i'm asking... do you guys think it's the PCM? This shop seems highly regarded for off road and vehicles in general having been crew pit for multiple competitions and they have a ton of trophies... They even had Big Oly in their shop when I dropped off my Jeep the first time (baja 500 winner and original king of the baja 1000)

Should I try a more specialized shop for Jeeps? Or are they on the right track? They told me the PCM was bad once before but it turned out to be the pre-cats.

It's driving me nuts... I've had this Jeep for 7 or 8 months and I still can't get it driving right.

I don't even know if a new OPDA came with the Jasper or not... I don't think so... right? I've been seeing things about possible OPDA issue.

Last edited:
If it is the PCM, you are likely looking at a "rebuilt" unit or one from a salvage yard. I doubt there are any still in stock from FCA.

I have zero experience with PCM failures but the posts I've read indicate that there are some reputable vendors who sell refurbished used units. And, as I indicated, there is the salvage yard option...just make sure it's for the same engine and tranny and applies to your year (this is where the refurbishers are worth the cost).

Do some searching to find the people that have a decent rep for refurbished PCMs, get in contact with them and see what kind of deal you can make (I have no idea if any of them give a "if it doesn't fix your problem, we'll take it back" warranty, but it would be nice for you if they did).

@TJ Hunnicutt I do have a new PCM! but they're thinking this one is bad because it's from an aftermarket manufacturer (WranglerFix) one of the best regarded aftermarket PCMs .

@Chris No unfortunately, I have not reached out as it was later in the day here 8PM PST and I think it's was 11PM over in Florida when I called so i'll try again tomorrow. I wasn't sure if it was possible to tag either but it looks like the @ works lol do you know if they would re-use my old OPDA in the reman from Jasper?

Reactions: Wranglerfix
@TJ Hunnicutt I do have a new PCM! but they're thinking this one is bad because it's from an aftermarket manufacturer (WranglerFix) one of the best regarded aftermarket PCMs .

@Chris No unfortunately, I have not reached out as it was later in the day here 8PM PST and I think it's was 11PM over in Florida when I called so i'll try again tomorrow. I wasn't sure if it was possible to tag either but it looks like the @ works lol do you know if they would re-use my old OPDA in the reman from Jasper?

If your replacement is from @Wranglerfix - give mark a call. If you still have issues, I doubt it’s the pcm

In that case, Mark will chime in since I tagged him. There is no better guy to go to for replacement PCMs, that's for sure.

I personally wouldn't think that Jasper would re-use your old OPDA. I can however tell you if they used non Mopar sensors (i.e. the crankshaft position sensor), you would have issues.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Woops...misread your post...thought you said you did not get the PCM with the new engine. Ignore my post; it never happened :rolleyes:

@Chris Okay, so that was my thought, that they maybe didn't re-use my old sensor, but I didn't see a charge for a sensor on the itemized list. I will ask them tomorrow and see what they say regarding that.

I'm thinking maybe replacing the sensor might be a better step than them trying to find a new PCM from Jeep...because the sensor is like 120... while the pcm runs upto 1k and I have suspension and axle upgrades I was planning lol

Anything else you guys can recommend? Should I take it to a 2nd shop as well?

First, are you sure your getting P0334 and not P0344?

P0016 will be set if the OPDA is not clocked properly or if it was installed when the engine was not at TDC.

You can try clocking the OPDA a few degrees one way or the other to see if that resolves P0016.

It sounds like your mechanic has given up.

@Chris Okay, so that was my thought, that they maybe didn't re-use my old sensor, but I didn't see a charge for a sensor on the itemized list. I will ask them tomorrow and see what they say regarding that.

I'm thinking maybe replacing the sensor might be a better step than them trying to find a new PCM from Jeep...because the sensor is like 120... while the pcm runs upto 1k and I have suspension and axle upgrades I was planning lol

Anything else you guys can recommend? Should I take it to a 2nd shop as well?

Keep in mind that a new OPDA and sensor will often times have to be synced to the PCM using the DRBII tool or similar, see this thread:

Interesting OPDA findings

Keep in mind that a new OPDA and sensor would have to be synced to the PCM using the DRBII tool or similar, see this thread:

Interesting OPDA findings

Ideally, yes. However, I’ve replaced my OPDA twice and have also removed for inspection several times. It’s not simple luck that I’m not having problems.

I called today and I explained about the OPDA they said the engine did come with a new one but they retained the original sensor. I told them it may not be properly set and may need some adjustments they said they would need the vehicle to make sure so i may be taking it in later today again. I'm hoping it's the last time because I just want to drive this thing.

Also the code may actually be P0344 my head was just all over the place last night.
I'm also getting the vibe that they may be confused... I was thinking of calling a specialized jeep shop that's closer to home.

@Chris Hey follow up it seems like it was the Cam synchronizer assembly. which im guessing is the OPDA.

they said the ring inside that's supposed to keep the timing was having an issue.

@Chris Hey follow up it seems like it was the Cam synchronizer assembly. which im guessing is the OPDA.

they said the ring inside that's supposed to keep the timing was having an issue.

Yep, that’s part of the OPDA. How did they end up fixing it?

They swapped out the whole assembly I believe. but They didn't charge me for it not even parts or labor. I'm feeling like I did make the right choice in shop after this. GAH i'm so happy now! I'm just waiting for my OME setup to arrive and I think i'll be trail ready.

Reactions: rasband
@Chris this car hates me! Code after code... was hoping to get some guidance if possible.

Let me know if i should start a new thread but it's a 2005 4.0 Auto
after getting this code resolved the next day while driving I began getting codes the most notable was misfire in cylinder 5. I took out the OEM PCM and re-installed the Wranglerfix PCM and drove it around the only codes that came back on this PCM were P0157 and P0159 is pending. I've already replaced the O2 sensors with NGKs recommended prior to the engine swap and I had two new pre-cats installed after the engine swap. Is it possible the O2 sensors went bad again? I hear a rattling coming from my exhaust pipe by the 3rd cat could that cause it? or would a leak be from before the pre-cats at the mani? The car's idle sucks ass yesterday at a drive thru the rpms kept bouncing from 500-900ish none stop... I pulled the battery over night and it didn't happen today... yet! let me know what your thoughts are or how you would approach this. After work today im going to buy cleaner to clean my IACV...is it possible the cam sensor is still bad?

@Chris this car hates me! Code after code... was hoping to get some guidance if possible.

Let me know if i should start a new thread but it's a 2005 4.0 Auto
after getting this code resolved the next day while driving I began getting codes the most notable was misfire in cylinder 5. I took out the OEM PCM and re-installed the Wranglerfix PCM and drove it around the only codes that came back on this PCM were P0157 and P0159 is pending. I've already replaced the O2 sensors with NGKs recommended prior to the engine swap and I had two new pre-cats installed after the engine swap. Is it possible the O2 sensors went bad again? I hear a rattling coming from my exhaust pipe by the 3rd cat could that cause it? or would a leak be from before the pre-cats at the mani? The car's idle sucks ass yesterday at a drive thru the rpms kept bouncing from 500-900ish none stop... I pulled the battery over night and it didn't happen today... yet! let me know what your thoughts are or how you would approach this. After work today im going to buy cleaner to clean my IACV...is it possible the cam sensor is still bad?

No, the O2 sensors didn't go bad, that's almost impossible that that would have happened.

More than likely it's a wiring related issue, something along the lines of this:

More check engine lights caused by wiring