Caesar

Supporting Member
I’ll try to keep this light, pictures will be uploaded tomorrow during day light. Thank you in advance.

I have a 2006 rubicon with the 4.0 inline 6 and a 6 speed manual. It only has 83k mileage. A couple months back, mistakes were made and I came a little too hot into a turn and made the mistake of going into first gear.

I don’t know if it was a failure to rev match or just wrong gear at the right time but next thing I know my jeep is bouncing and the engine light is on. I scan it to find p0344 and clear it. Start up, all good for a while. The code kept coming back occasionally and then more frequently. It got to the point I had it come on 3 times in a 4 minute drive from shop to shop. Limp mode immediately (not fun at 60 mph). 3 shops didn’t know what to do, last shop cleaned off my PCM connectors and then the code again. I replaced the alternator and cam shaft sensor and a week later the code is back, now accompanied by p0016. I also have a leaking front main seal, rear main seal, and oil pan gasket. I’m getting the front main and water pump replaced this week while also having the timing chain looked at. I saw another post where someone’s was slipping at moderately low mileage and that fixed his. I’ll also have the shop turn the shaft so piston one is up right and reset the thing that the camshaft sensor detects.

I obviously want to fix the leaks and proactively replace the water pump as the pulley and fan have some play in them, but I’m genuinely lost as to how to get these codes gone. I figure it would have to be something mechanical with the timing since it initially happened in a lapse of judgement. Still gotta get it to a dealer for the R13 recall.

Anything y’all might know or have experienced would be extremely beneficial. Wasn’t as light as I intended but that’s when the problem was presented and what I’ve done so far to help it. Thank you again.

I have also had p0032,38,52, and 58 off and on towards the end of this past summer but nothing since I started getting a bit colder.

And how high did you rev it?

Jumped timing chain?

OPDA is a known issue on the 06, does it still have the original OPDA?

And how high did you rev it?

Jumped timing chain?

OPDA is a known issue on the 06, does it still have the original OPDA?
I was probably close to 15 mph when I had the clutch in. Then I let off into the turn and it was a bit rough.
It does have the original ODPA, there’s no noise coming from it, but it’ll be looked at on Thursday with timing chain and other stuff

Quick update: mechanic took a video of the old timing chain and it had a little too much play in it. After getting that fixed along with the front main and the water pump. Running very smooth and when I turn on lights my battery gauge seems to be much happier. I’ll let y’all know how she’s doing in a week or so after some real drive time. Hope this thread helps anyone down the road :)